New Multicharger 750/1125/1250 & DIY Solar

webcurl

Region
Australia
Assumption is that to provide a Powertube 750 + Powerpack 500 Multicharger (1250Wh) R&M would have to supply an older "Standard" charger along with the new "Smart System" 4A charger, not a desirable scenario i guess.
So it's either 750Wh (max) with "Smart System" or 1125WH with "Old" tech.
Will Bosch provide a "Smart System" Powerpack 500?
New plug & charger on the 750Wh Powertube, does this lock the new batteries/charger down completely and spell the end for DIY solar charging (which is already difficult)?
Will Bosch produce a new "Travel charger" (12VDC input) for the new batteries?
Should i get a DualBattery Multicharger GT Rohloff now before it's too late? :)

shrug.JPG

Assumption is that to provide a Powertube 750 + Powerpack 500 Multicharger (1250Wh) R&M would have to supply an older "Standard" charger along with the new "Smart System" 4A charger, not a desirable scenario i guess.
So it's either 750Wh (max) with "Smart System" or 1125WH with "Old" tech.
Will Bosch provide a "Smart System" Powerpack 500?
New plug & charger on the 750Wh Powertube, does this lock the new batteries/charger down completely and spell the end for DIY solar charging (which is already difficult)?
Will Bosch produce a new "Travel charger" (12VDC input) for the new batteries?
Should i get a DualBattery Multicharger GT Rohloff now before it's too late? :)
That's not possible. The new Smart System uses a different version of the motor - the hardware is almost exactly the same as regards motor and internal gearbox but the electrical system is very different. There is no cross compatibility between the old and new systems.

One would assume that the new Smart system will be available with smaller batteries than the 750 in due course, and it may also be available in a dual battery version (though i haven't seen anything to confirm that yet).

I have to say that personally i am not in the least bit concerned about the "new" stuff. The Kiox and Kiox 300 are very similar, the handlebar controls are very similar, the motor and associated components are ostensibly the same - so really the only 2 significant changes are;
1 - the 750wh battery
2 - the ability to update your firmware yourself using a 'phone, rather than having to take the bike to a Bosch dealer.

I would still want more than 750Wh (a pair of 500's or a pair of 625's are sufficient for my needs) and having to go to the dealer to update the firmware... if i'm actually that bothered about having new firmware?

That's not possible. The new Smart System uses a different version of the motor - the hardware is almost exactly the same as regards motor and internal gearbox but the electrical system is very different. There is no cross compatibility between the old and new systems.
If they're using a different voltage then i can understand but if the bus speed is changed or the bus is changed entirely then it should be possible to interface the 2 with some extra circuitry. Or how is the electrical system so very different?

1 - the 750wh battery
2 - the ability to update your firmware yourself using a 'phone, rather than having to take the bike to a Bosch dealer.
Agreed.

If they're using a different voltage then i can understand but if the bus speed is changed or the bus is changed entirely then it should be possible to interface the 2 with some extra circuitry. Or how is the electrical system so very different?

Agreed.
Apparently they couldn’t achieve what they wanted with the old software so they had to start again - new software and small elements of new hardware (sensors, display, etc.) - which effectively means that there is no compatibility between the two systems.

Back