New motor: Made in Canada, 2022 Mid-drive system

So the huge motor developers, Bosch, Yamaha, Shimano, and Bafang all have version issues. What can be expected from a small Canadian upstart? Unlike my buddy here, I have no opinion regarding the developer. But, looking at LighteningRods belt drive it seems more sensible a significantly less complex. and has been recieved very well and pounded on.
1646849427099.jpeg

Last edited:
Stale as CA3 size and function even though there’s no experience? ;)

Who doesn’t have a pet peeve or product?
You seem to be bringing that up more frequently that I have recently. But now that you have, you seem to be the only one that believes the CA-3 shouldn't be part of ancient history. Further, I never bring it up out of nowhere. Generally, if/when I do, it's to mention it should be checked out thoroughly prior to purchase. What kind of experience does one need to see it's badly outdated? Do you think I need to own one prior to forming that opinion? Do I need to own a turd to know it will smell?

So basically what is available now and not giving anyone any reason to do things differently 🙃
They'll just do multi-mode models that can go from non-compliant to compliant with the press of a button. Competitive forces will eventually push the big brand drive system producers to offer multi-mode as well.

You seem to be bringing that up more frequently that I have recently. But now that you have, you seem to be the only one that believes the CA-3 shouldn't be part of ancient history. Further, I never bring it up out of nowhere. Generally, if/when I do, it's to mention it should be checked out thoroughly prior to purchase. What kind of experience does one need to see it's badly outdated? Do you think I need to own one prior to forming that opinion? Do I need to own a turd to know it will smell?
You’re funny! The point wasn’t the CA3. It was your stubborn insistence and busting someone else’s chops while doing the same darned thing you accuse others of. Come in fella. This ain’t religion!

You’re funny! The point wasn’t the CA3. It was your stubborn insistence and busting someone else’s chops while doing the same darned thing you accuse others of. Come in fella. This ain’t religion!
Ditto.... He busts my chops frequently. Tells me I'm implying to deny choice when I suggest that having a base model with a throttle and having PAS as a purchase upgrade when the big brands don't even offer a throttle. I just scratch my head....

Ditto.... He busts my chops frequently. Tells me I'm implying to deny choice when I suggest that having a base model with a throttle and having PAS as a purchase upgrade when the big brands don't even offer a throttle. I just scratch my head....
Ken, I busted your chops as you were promoting the idea that conventional PAS (one using a PAS sensor) is/might be an expensive option. That's clearly just not the case. If you think I'm off base with that, tell me I am. Let's talk about it? One of us might learn something that way....

Tom, apologies. CA-3 clearly a hot button.

CA-3 clearly a hot button.
I think that cloth cuts both ways Al.....

I also am a fan of the CA-3 for my front hub DD systems that run throttle only with cruise control and regen. I am noodling a project that will include one in the mix also. Is it the end all be all of displays? Nope. Is it good for what its good for, it's still the best in my book as archaic as it looks. Will there ever be a CA-4? One would imagine but maybe more in the form of a CycleAnylApp.

My thought is that only torque-sensing PAS provides the bike-like feel that people like about PAS systems. I have owned 2 x cadence-based assist ebikes and both seemed very flawed. One literally was just an on/off switch for assist to the level selected. Correct me if I'm wrong but a good non-contact strain gage on the crank to provide torque-based PAS is not cheap. Maybe I'm wrong but I thought just this added a minimum of $100 to the price of the ebike.

For example here's a torque sensing bottom bracket from Grin at $150: https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/torque-sensors/ncte-136.html

In my opinion the cadence RPM isn't really a good predictor of how much assist you want by itself. Combined with torque and speed I can see some value but not by itself.

Last edited:
I'm wondering why all PAS don't include torque sensing if it's that low cost. Is there additional cost in the controller to accept the additional signal from the torque sensor.?

I'm wondering why all PAS don't include torque sensing if it's that low cost. Is there additional cost in the controller to accept the additional signal from the torque sensor.?
Market driven. And for many of us PAS is very robust and suits our riding ability and meets our expectations. This starts to read like the throttle damning threads. I’m on the side of whatever floats your boat. I’m planning on torque sensing on my next build. But only as a curiosity and to have the experience.

EBikekit had sold kits for years with neither option. Just a throttle. And lots of happy customers. Luna too.

Ken, I busted your chops as you were promoting the idea that conventional PAS (one using a PAS sensor) is/might be an expensive option. That's clearly just not the case. If you think I'm off base with that, tell me I am. Let's talk about it? One of us might learn something that way....

Tom, apologies. CA-3 clearly a hot button.
All good. But hot button isn’t a good description. I’m in the whatever floats your boat crew. I’m REALLY impressed by my Grin RTR kit. I have an easier time with Grin components and MAC programming. Getting my online ebike parts “Rummage sale” organized I found a KT display I never messed with. You’re one up on me there. I enjoy our banter.

Ken, consider the average e-bike sold/operated today. Throttle only? Nope. Torque sensing? Nope.

Most controllers will NOT accept the additional data from a torque sensor. Not yet anyway.

I own and ride an Ultra powered mid drive bike with torque sensing, and agree they're great (when the controller is set up properly, that's NOT how you're going to get one). I also ride/own a similarly powered geared hub driven bike (1000w+), but it has a much more sophisticated aftermarket controller by Kunteng (aka KT). Not perfect by a long shot, but WAY better programming/adjustability than the 2 examples you drove. Interesting, as KT does this with internal PROGRAMMING. There is NO difference in the hardware used on this bike vs. the bikes you rode, other than the programming internal to the controller.

Bottom line, the controllers are not nearly as simple as what you seem to think. There's a LOT going on in that little box. The issue is the market is young and people are accepting the junk programming that is available in today's average hub driven bike. As it matures, more people will realize just how terrible that programming really is, and start demanding better - possibly including the option to install a torque sensor. -Al

Market driven. And for many of us PAS is very robust and suits our riding ability and meets our expectations. This starts to read like the throttle damning threads. I’m on the side of whatever floats your boat. I’m planning on torque sensing on my next build. But only as a curiosity and to have the experience.

EBikekit had sold kits for years with neither option. Just a throttle. And lots of happy customers. Luna too.
I do just fail to understand how a cadence only PAS system is a viable solution. Cadence speed as I see it has little correlation to what assist a rider might want. I know I quickly found out that I didn't like my ebike that just used cadence as an on/off switch for the 5 different levels of assist wattage.

I do just fail to understand how a cadence only PAS system is a viable solution. Cadence speed as I see it has little correlation to what assist a rider might want. I know I quickly found out that I didn't like my ebike that just used cadence as an on/off switch for the 5 different levels of assist wattage.
I guess you still haven't read (understood) my previous post... Or anyone else's for that matter.
It is not perfect (or high resolution :- ) ...but it is far from an ON/OFF switch and this is all done in the controller programming.
In any PAS I will receive anywhere from 0 to ~750W of assistance and the variable amount is in line with how far below that particular PAS speed limit is set. As I get closer to the set speed (cadence) setting, it gradually reduces power.
Man... When you get stuck, you are just OFF.

Last edited:
Most don't use "5 different levels of assist wattage" (known as power based PAS). The vast majority use SPEED based PAS. Biggest downside with them, the thing that draws the most complaints, is they're too darn fast even when in PAS 1. As long as the pedals are turning, they'll accelerate the bike up to 12-13mph. If you want to go faster, you increase the PAS level. But what happens if you want to go slower? This will have you stopping and starting pedaling to control your speed, and a lot of ghost pedaling (pedaling without any effort).

Just a simple programming change to the calibration, say from the current common 12-13mph in PAS 1, to something around 6-7 mph would be a huge change for the better! Or better yet, let the dealers/customers set that speed. This is ULTRA simple for the controller manf's to pull off! The question is why they're all stuck with this crap setting? It's not money. There would be no cost involved. So why?

PAS 1, to something around 6-7 mph would be a huge change for the better!
That is exactly what I have my PAS 1 set to. Actually 5-7 deepening on gear, typically using the lower half.
And the main reason I disagree with the 100% Speed setting for all PAS Levels.

I guess you still haven't read (understood) my previous post... Or anyone else's for that matter.
It is not perfect (or high resolution :- ) ...but it is far from an ON/OFF switch and this is all done in the controller programming.
In any PAS I will receive anywhere from 0 to ~750W of assistance and the variable amount is in line with how far below that particular PAS speed limit is set. As I get closer to the set speed setting, it gradually reduces power.
Man... When you get stuck, you are just OFF.
But the programming has to make assumptions about how much assist is desired based on a sensor parameter that is not tied to rider effort in reality. I understand it can be done to provide a good assist sensation but I fail to see that this is even remotely as good as just giving the rider direct control of the assist via a throttle (have a cruse control if worried about wrist / thumb fatigue from throttle.
I'm not attacking any ideas but I tend to like the simplicity and direct control of a throttle - I don't think any program will be better especially if cadence-based only.

But the programming has to make assumptions about how much assist is desired based on a sensor parameter that is not tied to rider effort in reality. I understand it can be done to provide a good assist sensation but I fail to see that this is even remotely as good as just giving the rider direct control of the assist via a throttle (have a cruse control if worried about wrist / thumb fatigue from throttle.
I'm not attacking any ideas but I tend to like the simplicity and direct control of a throttle - I don't think any program will be better especially if cadence-based only.
I understand what you are saying and yes... No programming, high resolution or not can read a riders mind and understand all resistance factors. But I know that it works well enough for me and find it far more enjoyable than using the throttle. Especially in an every changing environment it does a decent job of keeping me in the same narrow cadence range

Ken, you go for your throttle only preference. Nobody here saying you can't/aren't allowed. I'm pretty sure some will even follow/agree with you. Just don't expect it to be real popular/universal given the other options.

"the programming has to make assumptions about how much assist is desired based on a sensor parameter that is not tied to rider effort in reality"
This is a wild guess on your part, and typical of the other misleading comments you've written. It's not accurate at all. It would be nice if you would take a time out and teach yourself how a controller really does work, or ask enough questions to build a better understanding prior to making more comments like this.

Until you get into the more exotic (expensive) stuff, there are only 2 sensors telling the controller what's going on. They are speed, and the other is cadence. That's it. Everything else is based on logic/programming (or lack of it).

And last, pretty sure there are others coming here to read about a new motor, NOT controller basics 101. Maybe we could move this conversation to a topic of it own? -Al

Back