New members-Turbo Vado owners from Nebraska (USA)

SPeas

Region
USA
Hello,

A quick introduction...

My wife became the owner of a new 2022 Turbo Vado 4.0 (big) this winter and I have mine on order direct from Specialized (being shipped now). These are our first experiences with e-bikes and we hope to get a lot of use out of them as we travel in our retirement.

I've enjoyed reading all of the Vado-related threads on this forum and using them to figure out what accessories I want to add. Mirrors have been taken care of (large Hafners) and my next priority will be a pair of good locks. I noticed that the battery locks on our 2022 US models have AXA keys and cylinders, so I'm hoping I can find a cafe or other style lock that can be keyed to match. The pictures of all the AXA locks I looked at online appear to use a different style key, so I am a little worried about that.

I'm also researching trunk packs for the rear rack, replacement pedals for my bike and possibly new tires. I think I would like a tire that can handle a wide variety of surfaces, from easy forest service roads to the crushed-stone used on most of our rural bike trails. I will probably add the Garmin Varia radar unit. I'm half deaf, so that would be a nice companion to the mirrors.

Attachments

• AXA_batterylock_key.jpeg
    AXA_batterylock_key.jpeg
    8.2 KB · Views: 209
Congratulations on your new Vados! Welcome to the Club!

I only wonder why you want to replace tyres. (That was the mistake I was always making with any new e-bike). Are the existing tyres hopeless? Let them wear first! :)

Thank you very much, Stefan.

Tire replacement isn't my highest priority right now and I agree that it would be best if I held off. The only thing I don't like so far about the Vado is that it doesn't inspire confidence in cornering on pavement like my analog road bike. I find myself hitting the brakes in the curves because it feels like the bike wants to keep going straight. I'm blaming it on the tread (shown below) of the Performance Sport tires that come on this bike, but I could very well be wrong. Maybe it's because the Vado is 3 times the weight of my regular bike or maybe it's a function of this bike's geometry or maybe it's just me!

If I decide to pursue this topic further, I'll start a new thread or add it to one of the existing tire threads. It might be helpful to hear thoughts from others with this same tire.

Attachments

• Vado_TireTread.jpg
    Vado_TireTread.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 196
I found the triggers on my Vado had a similar pattern as above, the knobs don't inspire confidence in cornering. I changed to the european version whatever that is, like it much better.

Yet the centre of the tread makes Vado roll easily and fast. Let me post something when I'm back from the ride!

@SPeas: I'm not here to discourage you. I think new Schwalbe "e-SUV" tyres such as Al Grounder or Johnny Watts in size 60-584 might fit your Vados and make you and your wife happy. I only want to point out Specialized are indeed tyre experts. Your Pathfinder Sport tyres are not the most expensive ones but share part of their properties with Pathfinder Pro (the latter are only available for gravel e-bikes). The central part of the tread makes the tyre roll fast and silently while the outer part of the tread ensures a good grip on the pavement and gravel (but these tyres might slip in mud).

Let me tell you a short story how I was underestimating Specialized tyres in the past:

1649479889433.png

Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo w/Gripton Compound tyre (29x2.0") is only made for 45 km/h (28mph) Euro Vado 6.0 (and for my older "speed" 5.0). The tyre is Type Approved, meaning a law abiding European should only ride their Speed Pedelec on this model of tyres. If you look at the tread, you will see a slick tyre with a minimal pattern for cornering. You would not trust such a tyre, would you. I didn't, and wasted two years of riding on more aggressive premium tyres from another brand. The other tyres seemed to improve off-road grip but decidedly slowed me down on the pavement.

Quite recently, I eventually could understand what the Gripton compound was. A Specialized patent, the compound ensures extremely low rolling resistance while maintaining grip for cornering even at low temperatures and wet surfaces. These tyres are suple, especially when ridden at lower inflation pressure. I can ride Electraks on gravel, and do not hesitate riding on them in forests. The photo was taken on my yesterday's ride during and after rainfall. I was zooming wet asphalt roads with puddles at some 22 mph with full confidence! (The only surface Electraks won't tolerate is sand).

(These tyres won't fit your Vado, therefore I mentioned Al Grounder and Johnny Watts as an alternative). I told you the story above just to inspire you with some confidence in your stock Specialized Pathfinders. Perhaps these are not that bad as you think?

Again: congratulations to you and your wife on your new Vados!

Last edited:
I put those above tires on my Vado in place of the Triggers. Like them better but if you get into the marbles in a turn it gets dicey.

About mirrors: I have tried bar-end mirrors, but find they too easily get knocked out of adjustment. Also, having to look down at the mirror means I have to take my eyes off the road, however briefly. Helmet mounted mirrors, on the other hand, are typically too wobbly and jiggly.

My favorite (and only) mirror now is the EVT Safezone Bicycle Helmet mirror. It is very steady, not easily jostled out of alignment, and has a 2 inch mirror, which gives excellent coverage to the rear. I check it often, as I like knowing who is coming up on me from behind--sometimes another bike, but usually a car.

The downsides of this mirror are the cost ($40), the fact that it's an ugly lump, and the blind spot where the mirror is. The latter is compensated for by small, frequent adjustments of one's head. It also is a bit challenging to mount, but once in place is very stable. I had to use 3 or 4 zip ties to attach it to my Bern helmet, but this makes for a very solid mirror. I can live with the fact that it's ugly. I wouldn't ride now without it.

I put those above tires on my Vado in place of the Triggers. Like them better but if you get into the marbles in a turn it gets dicey.
You mean, Electraks, Marcela?
These can be used from 30 psi in need!

Loose gravel on a hard surface is one of my concerns. I don't have enough experience with different tires to know what works best in that situation. I assume you would want a more open tread to allow the loose gravel to be thrown out safely.

Thats the tire. I like them. Usually air up to 35 psi to allow for deflation, I've been on them with 25 psi and couldn't really tell the difference. I don't like a hard tire.
I tried the front Electrak at 30 psi and the rear at 35. Butter-smooth ride! I was surprised to find out the slick Electraks met no issue to ride through the sand! Still, the big Vado feels too heavy e-bike for real off-road rides.

I tried the front Electrak at 30 psi and the rear at 35. Butter-smooth ride! I was surprised to find out the slick Electraks met no issue to ride through the sand! Still, the big Vado feels too heavy e-bike for real off-road rides.
I'll bet it feels smooth. I tried the higher psi in the tires and didn't like it. I think 32 to 35 is my sweet spot.

@SPeas,
Think about suspension seat posts. Makes a huge difference in ride comfort. The roads and streets in my area have tons of cracks, pot holes, and crummy repairs. I have Cirrus Kinekt but of course other brands available.

Marci, the 2022 Turbo Vado does come with a basic seat post suspension. Did yours? I'm going to test the factory seat post thoroughly before considering an upgrade to one of the more sophisticated and expensive models.

I picked up my new bike on Tuesday and got the mirrors and water bottle cage added. I also found a pair of Shimano PD-T8000 pedals to swap out for the originals. These are double-sided with SPD clips on one side and grippy platforms on the other. I took it for a quick 10-mile ride and really like the pedals so far.

I'm hoping the weather will cooperate this weekend so my wife and I can go for a riding together.

Marci, the 2022 Turbo Vado does come with a basic seat post suspension. Did yours? I'm going to test the factory seat post thoroughly before considering an upgrade to one of the more sophisticated and expensive models.

I picked up my new bike on Tuesday and got the mirrors and water bottle cage added. I also found a pair of Shimano PD-T8000 pedals to swap out for the originals. These are double-sided with SPD clips on one side and grippy platforms on the other. I took it for a quick 10-mile ride and really like the pedals so far.

I'm hoping the weather will cooperate this weekend so my wife and I can go for a riding together.

Oooop, I missed that the new Vados came with a suspension seatpost. At 5 years old my Vado is old, ebike-wise. Did not come with a suspension seat post but I really love the Cirrus Kinekt. So very much worth the cost.

I traded my ebike tires (Schwalbe) straight away for Continentals. Couldn’t be happier and I ride on almost all surfaces, although one would assume these are meant for hard surface

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 191
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 182
Congratulations on your new Vado. I just purchased a Turbo Vado 4.0 and am searching for what panniers and accessories to get. If you don’t mind please share which items you all get for your new Vado 4.0. I am new to commuting and need panniers.

MJones5, I hope you enjoy commuting with your new bike.

I've done a little research on panniers but haven't bought anything yet. You should check a related link to DarrenM's thread on Vado panniers: https://electricbikereview.com/foru...panniers-that-will-fit-lower-rear-rail.48031/. I think it would be a good idea to find someone who has actually had extended experience with panniers on a Turbo Vado. They are too expensive to experiment with. Here's another link as well: https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/2022-vado-turbo-basket-and-tailwind-panniers.48492/

I do know that Ortlieb makes some highly regarded bike bags and Specialized sells their Tailwind and also Coolcave panniers that fit our bikes. The Tailwind panniers look especially interesting to me because they have a built-in laptop sleeve and free-standing shape. I have not had the opportunity to look at any of these in person.

Finally, there are lots of on-line instructions and YouTube videos on how to make panniers out of kitty litter buckets. These would be a great way to impress your coworkers when you arrive at the office. Just make sure you keep cats away from your bike when you have these mounted!

Last edited:
Back