New member from down under with hand cycling interests

Wayne Kotzur

Hi All and thanks for the forum and its fascinating diversity
I am australian frame builder whoo has been building custom bikes full time since the mid 1980's
(website currently is kotzurcycledesign.com.au). Recently I have been asked to electrify a number of bike and some trikes and so I am search for reliable information (after all if something goes pear shaped
they are not going to be ringing Panasonic or Bafang etc - they are going to be ringing me)

I build predominantly chrome moly frames - often with rolled tubes and elaborate designs and have become more focused on cycles for people with disabilities.

I am especially interested in hand cycles and the main criteria with a hand cycle is the ability to interact with the electrics without moving the hand significantly. Ideally i am asking if members know of mid drive systems that use wireless controlling. It cannot be twist types as these are not suitable where you are powering the chain from hand grips.
Thanks and regards
Wayne

Welcome from up over... no that doesn't work. Welcome!

There are a lot of good systems available, but one of the key issues I see that might limit your options is in your main criteria.

the main criteria with a hand cycle is the ability to interact with the electrics without moving the hand significantly.

To me, this will likely require a system that activates by torque sensor, not cadence. A torque sensor driven system will react quick and provide assistance when pressure is applied to the crank. The same is true when the system senses no pressure, it stops relatively quick. With cadence sensor pedal assist, the system senses turning of the crank, and typically there is a longer delay once the cranks stop spinning for assistance to stop. I suspect you are not wanting to hit the brake cutoff to stop assist. This delay, both starting and stopping, may or may not be acceptable to you.

For what you're trying to build, I think you should personally test ride as many systems as you can. Few DIY kits offer torque sensor pedal assist.

Good luck, I hope you find what you need.

Last edited:
Back