New helmet with front and rear cameras

Deacon Blues

Now on kickstarter-a RH-1 Performance Cycling Helmet with integrated video camera.

I don't care about live streaming, but having a front and rear camera on rides would be nice to have, especially if you were hit by a vehicle.

I have a few sub $100 automobile rear view mirror camera systems and they work amazingly well. I imagine it would not be too hard to piece together something that does the same functions with a bluetooth feed or even a hardwire to a smart phone. Many of us already have a phone mount on our bikes. The car mirror units run on 12 volts, but I suspect a version exists that could be powered by a 5 volt USB battery pack if it didn't need to drive a video monitor also. I'm not sure that having the cameras attached to a helmet is the best placement. It seems to me that normal head movement would yield some pretty unstable, jerky recordings.

I have a few sub $100 automobile rear view mirror camera systems and they work amazingly well. I imagine it would not be too hard to piece together something that does the same functions with a bluetooth feed or even a hardwire to a smart phone. Many of us already have a phone mount on our bikes. The car mirror units run on 12 volts, but I suspect a version exists that could be powered by a 5 volt USB battery pack if it didn't need to drive a video monitor also. I'm not sure that having the cameras attached to a helmet is the best placement. It seems to me that normal head movement would yield some pretty unstable, jerky recordings.
Yep. I've got a GoPro already, and from the posted footage the camera on this helmet is janky, for a $300+ price.

I was JUST looking at fairly inexpensive surveillance cameras to get a "rear view". There's whole whack of them on Amazon. This one, for example, can record for up to 150 min without WiFi, or 100min with, if you want to stream to your phone, and comes with a waterproof housing and mounts... all for $70 Canadian. There are cheaper/smaller ones as well.

A couple of thoughts:
  1. From a safety perspective, a highly visible camera is probably more effective as a deterrent than one as discreetly hidden as this one. From personal experience wearing a GoPro on rides I know that motorists are much more respectful of me when they see the GoPro.
  2. Who is going to actually livestream a ride? I know more than a few content creators and I doubt any of them would use that feature. I also have my doubts that feature can be implemented very well. If you're going livestream you want high-quality audio (challenging in that environment) and really good image stabilization.
  3. There are lots of really good action cameras on the market with great features and at affordable prices, including good audio and image stabilization. At a minimum you should match that feature set.
  4. What is the battery life? The achilles heel of GoPros and other action cameras is pathetic battery life. Given that you have a whole helmet's volume to work with, you should be able to pack larger batteries into the package.

Now on kickstarter-a RH-1 Performance Cycling Helmet with integrated video camera.

I don't care about live streaming, but having a front and rear camera on rides would be nice to have, especially if you were hit by a vehicle.
Had some additional thoughts on this helmet cam...

If you just want something to record for security purposes, I'd skip the helmet cam, and consider dedicated cameras.

In the sub $100 range, the one I pointed out in my earlier post is an option, and if you don't care about seeing a live stream on your phone, there are even cheaper options (about $40 US) that will still get you a couple of hours or more of recording time, especially if you're capturing in 720p vs 1080p. Whatever resolution, the video quality will be sub par compared to the RH-1, but many of these cameras come with multiple mounts, so you can use it anywhere.

Stepping up in price a bit, cheaper action cams, like the Akaso Brave 7 LE (about $140 US) will give you a better quality image than the RH-1 (judging by the scant samples on the RH-1 page), but you also have more flexibility in mounting, as they'll come with a number of mounts, and are compatible with GoPro style mounts.

If you want to rival GoPro quality, but don't have the budget for the latest one, the DJI Osmo Action is probably better than any GoPro except the Hero9, just from a picture quality POV, and can be found for about $250, often bundled with a memory card or spare battery. I'd say that if you want quality footage to actually mess around with in post, the Osmo Action is better than the Hero 9 Black, but I work in post production, so color grading and editing is second nature to me. :)

One thing I'll mention from my experience is that even the GoPro Hero9 can suffer from jittery footage caused by micro vibrations, when mounted directly on the bike and riding on rougher asphalt. I haven't experimented with using thicker foam/rubber as a buffer to compensate for these jitters. :)

* This is all based on the fact that I haven't seen any full resolution footage from the RH-1, but their example looks pretty blown out in the highlights, and pretty muddy shadows.

** I'm also of the mindset of letting a thing "be its thing" as opposed to compromising something to make it serve multiple purposes, at least when it comes to helmets and cameras, but that's just my taste.

*** if you go with something compatible with GoPro style mounts, super cheap mounting kits like the $22 (Canadian) Neweer 50 in 1 are a great deal. Wrist, helmet, head, chest straps, floaty handle, selfie stick, multiple clips, extenders, tripods, and adapters. Much better than ordering any single piece even at 1/3 the price. :)

How difficult is it to transfer the video you shoot from your helmet to your computer and then onto a website or link to send to your friends? I have been intrigued for years with the Go Pro concept but of course my computer/tech shortcomings have kept me frozen from making a move...

How difficult is it to transfer the video you shoot from your helmet to your computer and then onto a website or link to send to your friends? I have been intrigued for years with the Go Pro concept but of course my computer/tech shortcomings have kept me frozen from making a move...
It depends on how big the files are, what computer you own, etc. Generally it’s relatively easy but that all depends on your computer skills. I just have a basic GoPro though.

Last edited:
Two ways:

1. Remove the SD card and put it in your computer's SD card slot, then drag the videos and stills onto your PC's mass storage.

2. Connect the camera's USB cable from the camera to your PC. Then drag the videos and stills onto your PC's mass storage.

If you are an apple fanboy it is much easier because the GoPro (or other action camera) will automagically show up in the Photos app when it is connected, then you just choose import and all of the images are in Photos. Where it is easy to email them to friends or post on websites like this one (generally that is the flow I use to post photos).

Two ways:

1. Remove the SD card and put it in your computer's SD card slot, then drag the videos and stills onto your PC's mass storage.

2. Connect the camera's USB cable from the camera to your PC. Then drag the videos and stills onto your PC's mass storage.

If you are an apple fanboy it is much easier because the GoPro (or other action camera) will automagically show up in the Photos app when it is connected, then you just choose import and all of the images are in Photos. Where it is easy to email them to friends or post on websites like this one (generally that is the flow I use to post photos).

Long time Android guy with limited computer skills on my old Dell desktop. I dont even know if I have an SD slot. Pretty sure I have the usb

If you're not editing them, it's pretty straight forward. Most action cameras will appear as another drive when you plug them into a PC, so it's just drag/drop.

If you want to pay GoPro a monthly subscription, they have cloud backup, and they're just there.

I've been thinking about mounting recording cameras front and rear, not so much for my own enjoyment as for my next of kin so they can launch a lawsuit and become insanely rich. I wish I'd seen this helmet before I went and ordered the new Lumos helmet with the flashing lights from Indiegogo.

I think that you should better mount 2 second hand GO PRO cameras on your favorite helmet. they are shock and water proof and also the quality is the best

Back