New Headlight Installed

KLee

I finally received the Busch & Müller IQX-E headlight from a German bike store after placing the order about a month ago. Installation was easy. It was just a matter of connecting the leads of the headlight to the Y-adapter Higo connector I purchased from a Juiced Forum member. I made sure the power was off before making the lead connections because I did not want to risk shorting out the controller (thanks Youth!). The headlight has reverse polarity protection because I had reversed the polarity initially and the light did not work. After I corrected the lead wires, it worked. I now have the stock headlight and the B&M on at the same time. The power draw still reads as 6 Watts with both headlights on. The B&M headlight has a nice beam cutoff as specified by German StVZO standards. It has a 150 Lux rating. To my eyes it appears to be about 600 lumens, however all those lumens are effectively utilized by the special lens design and not scattered producing glare like the stock headlight. I basically use the stock headlight aimed lower to illuminate the foreground. I raised the stock headlight mounting position with a DIY bracket because the annoying glare was reflecting light off the front fender. I also carry a 900 lumen torch as a back up just in case.

Attachments

• 20190127_111421.jpg
    20190127_111421.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1,053
  • 20190127_111452.jpg
    20190127_111452.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 888
  • 20190127_111510.jpg
    20190127_111510.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 865
  • 20190127_113045.jpg
    20190127_113045.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 882
  • 20190127_123231.jpg
    20190127_123231.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 906
  • 20190127_123329.jpg
    20190127_123329.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 949
  • 20190127_123410.jpg
    20190127_123410.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 905
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 872
I finally received the Busch & Müller IQX-E headlight from a German bike store after placing the order about a month ago. Installation was easy. It was just a matter of connecting the leads of the headlight to the Y-adapter Higo connector I purchased from a Juiced Forum member. I made sure the power was off before making the lead connections because I did not want to risk shorting out the controller (thanks Youth!). The headlight has reverse polarity protection because I had reversed the polarity initially and the light did not work. After I corrected the lead wires, it worked. I now have the stock headlight and the B&M on at the same time. The power draw still reads as 6 Watts with both headlights on. The B&M headlight has a nice beam cutoff as specified by German StVZO standards. It has a 150 Lux rating. To my eyes it appears to be about 600 lumens, however all those lumens are effectively utilized by the special lens design and not scattered producing glare like the stock headlight. I basically use the stock headlight aimed lower to illuminate the foreground. I raised the stock headlight mounting position with a DIY bracket because the annoying glare was reflecting light off the front fender. I also carry a 900 lumen torch as a back up just in case.

Very cool!
Did you use the Y-cable splitter?
The controller is able to light up both at the same time i.e., provide 12Watts without throwing any error?
If it only reads 6w for both lights, then I assume the Busch and Muller is not lit up to its full luminous intensity?!
Because most of the lights I have seen Supernova, Light and Motion, Lezyne etc. draw at least 10-12 w for 800-1000 lumens.

Very cool!
Did you use the Y-cable splitter?
The controller is able to light up both at the same time i.e., provide 12Watts without throwing any error?
If it only reads 6w for both lights, then I assume the Busch and Muller is not lit up to its full luminous intensity?!
Because most of the lights I have seen Supernova, Light and Motion, Lezyne etc. draw at least 10-12 w for 800-1000 lumens.
Yes, I used the Y splitter - I was using my eyes as measurement and both lights appeared to operate at full intensity. The controller draws 4 watts with the lights off but last night when I turned both lights on it only read 7 watts. During the daytime I guess the B&M headlight automatically dims so that could be why it dropped to 6 watts.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 779
I've found riding bikes at night 2 front lights are needed, actually 3. 1 for seeing where your tire's going, 2 for seeing tree branches hanging low, 3 to see farther out like your high beams on a car. I got smacked really good on the forehead 1 night using a sidewalk going about 10mph by a low hanging tree branch that I couldn't see at all using only 1 head light. The light was pointed to see where my wheel would go and in front aways, nothing pointing up or head level at all. My helmet took most of the hit but it sure rattled my brain for 5 minutes or so and it did hurt.

I've found riding bikes at night 2 front lights are needed, actually 3. 1 for seeing where your tire's going, 2 for seeing tree branches hanging low, 3 to see farther out like your high beams on a car. I got smacked really good on the forehead 1 night using a sidewalk going about 10mph by a low hanging tree branch that I couldn't see at all using only 1 head light. The light was pointed to see where my wheel would go and in front aways, nothing pointing up or head level at all. My helmet took most of the hit but it sure rattled my brain for 5 minutes or so and it did hurt.
Thanks for the"heads -up":)

looks really bright. awesome for night commute.

I finally received the Busch & Müller IQX-E headlight from a German bike store after placing the order about a month ago.

How much did you shorten the wire on the light?

Here's morning footage of how the light performs alone on my CCX.

Toyed with the idea of getting their brake tail light, but that will have to come later.

Toyed with the idea of getting their brake tail light, but that will have to come later.
I didn’t shorten the cable, I coiled it around the handlebar and bunched it togther with the other cables.
Awesome time lapse video! How did the CCX handle in the snow?

How did the CCX handle in the snow?

I use Schwalbe Marathon Winters with studs & it handles ok in snow with a low enough tire pressure. I can't go as low as would be ideal for fear of pinch flats & I suspect a mid drive would handle better in snow.

I would get one of these lights but I’m still on the original King Meter display on my OG CC with CCS controller installed. I’m not sure if it will work since the display controls the light output on the controller and the King Meter has no way to control that. I have two LCD displays from Juiced now and both of them give me full power regardless of what mode I’m in so I had to go back to the King Meter display.

And I won't go out because it's raining a bit. You put me to shame Youth!

Couple of observations:

It was fascinating to see how you kept up with the cars. I was hoping they wouldn't turn off because you easily kept pace with them in city traffic with stoplights and stop signs.

Good to see somebody very aware of the prospect of getting doored. You gave plenty of berth for the inevitable swinging car door. I don't see that a lot down where I live.

I would get one of these lights but I’m still on the original King Meter display on my OG CC with CCS controller installed.

I'm sure it could be wired in somehow, but they do make self contained battery powered versions of these lights too.

And I won't go out because it's raining a bit.
Good to see somebody very aware of the prospect of getting doored.

Well I did break down & used public transit when there was an accumulating snowstorm & also during the -40+ windchill days. And yes very aware of dooring, but video is misleading since I'm really just trying to avoid riding on the snow as much as possible. In reality I tend to ride much closer so I don't hinder traffic.

20190129_065915_resized.jpg

I'm sure it could be wired in somehow, but they do make self contained battery powered versions of these lights too.

Well I did break down & used public transit when there was an accumulating snowstorm & also during the -40+ windchill days. And yes very aware of dooring, but video is misleading since I'm really just trying to avoid riding on the snow as much as possible. In reality I tend to ride much closer so I don't hinder traffic.

View attachment 29537
Wow! you ride prepared with bar mitts and all. I retreat when I feel a few drops of rain.

Back