New guy, looking for as much help as I can get

Joecreed

Hi everyone. I’m new to ebikes, and to be honest, biking in general since I was a kid. I’m 39 years old, male, 6’0 tall. I living in the mountains of Pennsylvania and I live about 3 miles from work. Going to work is downhill, but coming back is tough, especially at the end on my steep road (I’ll attach google maps picture below). I’m in pretty good shape, lifting weights 5 days a week and walking a good 10,000 steps a day as well. Sorry for the long intro, I’m just trying to post info that I have seen other members ask people with questions before.

The first bikes I ran across were the Rads, and specifically the runner plus. I have two younger kids and thought that may be cool to be able to take them around as well. I like the designs of bikes like that and the Dost Drop. I’m not exactly sure what that style is, maybe moped like???

Anywho, the big thing for me is a bike that can handle our hills here. I want to get extra exercise, but I also want to be able to make it up my hill after work. And for longer rides in the area, I’d need a good hill climber as well.

I don’t know if there’s a good option for me around $2000 or not, but that’s my current budget. I can always wait longer and save more if it makes more sense. I also need something that will handle our weather here. We have a pretty sloppy winter from about December-March. I don’t even know if riding in some light snow/slush is a thing, but if possible I’d like too.

Anyway, thanks for reading this, and I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations. Whether that’s a specific motor, motor type, bike type, bike company, etc. Any info from all of you with much more knowledge than me would be awesome. Thanks again!

im going to try to attach the google maps pictures so you can see some things I’m dealing with for work.

Attachments

• 1BD9E56F-B300-458B-A86E-8C2DA2591887.jpeg
    1BD9E56F-B300-458B-A86E-8C2DA2591887.jpeg
    272.7 KB · Views: 392
  • 31627883-E215-41D5-A7A7-25DCE971CF9D.jpeg
    31627883-E215-41D5-A7A7-25DCE971CF9D.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 398
If you like the radrunner, maybe look at the Juiced Scorpion with the tall seat accessory?

If you like the radrunner, maybe look at the Juiced Scorpion with the tall seat accessory?
Thanks for the suggestion Dewey. I seem to remember seeing some bad reviews about Juice and their customer service. Since I live in an area without many bike options, I don't know if I want to risk bad customer service. And for some reason I didn't really like that one too much. I didn't know it had that high seat option either though, so I definitely appreciate that info too. Thanks!

Geared hub motors will handle climbs of less than 1000' in an hour. 2000' climb in 40 minutes, as sea to the sierra runs in California, will burn them up. Mid drives do cool better, but eat chains.
Direct drive hub motors are not recommended for climbing. Cool better than geared hub motor, but eat up the watt hours at low rpm. Better for fast flat city runs.
I oil all the steel parts of my bike every two weeks. It rains 200 days a year here and I shop off my bike and have a volunteer job besides where I park it outside. Age 2 3/4 years it all works okay. Type A or F ATF and a pump oiler; no detergent in it to suck moisture out of the air. Or if you're rural, generic non-compliant SUS 46 hydraulic fluid for tractors.
At your size you'll need a 19,20 or 21" frame.

Last edited:
Geared hub motors will handle climbs of less than 1000' in an hour. 2000' climb in 40 minutes, as sea to the sierra runs in California, will burn them up. Mid drives do cool better, but eat chains.
Direct drive hub motors are not recommended for climbing. Cool better than geared hub motor, but eat up the watt hours at low rpm. Better for fast flat city runs.
So I should be looking for a geared hub motor? Any suggestions for bike brands to check out for that? Thank you.

My nearest dealer is 165 miles away, except pedego which is very expensive. Decent bike, hefty markup.
Check the dealers around you, put zip code in base electricbikereview.com page. You won't have much choice of models in stock, the market quadrupled in the US as China shut down for covid19 control. The only alternative are Dutch bikes Gazelle and German Bulls & Reiss & Mueller. Holland is near the sea, gazelle may be a good choice for a bike that sits out. None of those are cheap.
I ride a yubabike bodaboda, which I added a front hub motor to myself. Yuba quality was superb, but buy the big man's top bar frame if you're interested.. I wanted a stretch frame cargo bike because 2 MTB & a huffy cruiser dumped me on my chin 5x in 5 years. Broke it the last time. This frame hasn't done that yet.

Do you like the Super 73 Mini-Bike style e-mopeds? The S1 model falls within your budget and there is an extended seat option if you would like to push yourself back to get more leg extension.

Last edited:
Do you like the Super 73 Mini-Bike style e-mopeds? The S1 model falls within your budget and there is an extended seat option if you would like to push yourself back to get more leg extension.
Not at all. LOL. Maybe I just like the runner look and not the moped style in general. I appreciate the information for sure though, thank you. I had never seen that one before.

Anyone know anything about these?

A nice ride with a Bafang mid-drive motor ... American Rider is the house brand for CL.

1603754227130.png

For the same price, I would look at the IZIP Vibe 2.0 with better specs and a Bosch Mid-drive motor. ;)

1603754153856.png
1603754165684.png

A nice ride with a Bafang mid-drive motor ... American Rider is the house brand for CL.

View attachment 69763

For the same price, I would look at the IZIP Vibe 2.0 with better specs and a Bosch Mid-drive motor. ;)

View attachment 69761View attachment 69762
I like that step through model. How hard is installing fenders? I'm guessing it wouldn't be good riding to work in the rain with no fenders.

I like that step through model. How hard is installing fenders? I'm guessing it wouldn't be good riding to work in the rain with no fenders.
Fenders are an easy addition... focus on the things that cannot be upgraded later like the drive system.
You will not regret going with the Bosch motor and the battery position will lower the center of gravity.

Fenders are an easy addition... focus on the things that cannot be upgraded later like the drive system.
You will not regret going with the Bosch motor and the battery position will lower the center of gravity.
What are your thoughts on the radrunner plus?

A nice utility bike, but not in the same league as the iZip Vibe specs.
What are my options for things that will fit on the back of that bike? It’s so easy seeing all the choices with rad all in one spot, but is there a site or certain things I have to look for when it comes to customizing other bikes?

What are my options for things that will fit on the back of that bike? It’s so easy seeing all the choices with rad all in one spot, but is there a site or certain things I have to look for when it comes to customizing other bikes?
With a rear rack... the sky is the limit with regard to accessories. Pretty much mix and match.
I recommend that you focus on the core bike specs, motor, brakes, etc. then add on stuff later.

If you are undecided... Here is a list from EBR of the Best Electric Bikes of 2020. ;)
Select the type of bike category you are interested in and check the recommendations.

Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1065 electric bicycles.
EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Reviewing electric bikes is all we do.
Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.

Table of Contents:

With a rear rack... the sky is the limit with regard to accessories. Pretty much mix and match.
I recommend that you focus on the core bike specs, motor, brakes, etc. then add on stuff later.

If you are undecided... Here is a list from EBR of the Best Electric Bikes of 2020. ;)
Select the type of bike category you are interested in and check the recommendations.

Looking for the best electric bikes of 2020? As of today, we have reviewed 1065 electric bicycles.
EBR conducts the industry’s most complete and objective reviews. Reviewing electric bikes is all we do.
Since 2012, we have helped millions of people find and choose the best ebike for their needs and budget.

Table of Contents:
Are there any other really good bang for your buck bikes like the vibe that I should be looking at too? And once again, thank you.

Back