New guy, looking for as much help as I can get

Maybe it's better to not know too much, maybe as little as possible. But just enough to be happy with what you buy.
Maybe. I wanted to get something that didn't take the exercising out of the biking though (even though I'm not a bicyclist to begin with), and something that I really liked because I'm hoping not to buy another for a very long time.

My experience has been you cannot learn too much. I ate up everything I could learn for several months. I probably thought I had settled on the bike I wanted 4 times, only to change my mind each time. To me the most important decision is to really know the type of bike you want. Then what sort of power you want. Then how much money you can spend. I ended up very happy with my decision. Happier by far than I had even hoped. :)

OK, flipping back through this thread I don't see that you have actually ridden any ebikes. If that is true, it's time to go take some test rides. I ride in the
hills of Central Pennsylvania and would not want to tackle these hills on a hub drive unless it's way more powerfull than anything you could ride on a bike trail. Go to your local bike shop (LBS) and rent a bike for a few hours or a day. Trek, Specialized, and Giant dealers all have rentals, and most will deduct the rental price from a sale within a month. Try several types: hubs, mids, heavy, light, diamond, and step thru frames. Ride the kind of route you are going to face in real life. Happy hunting!

OK, flipping back through this thread I don't see that you have actually ridden any ebikes. If that is true, it's time to go take some test rides. I ride in the
hills of Central Pennsylvania and would not want to tackle these hills on a hub drive unless it's way more powerfull than anything you could ride on a bike trail. Go to your local bike shop (LBS) and rent a bike for a few hours or a day. Trek, Specialized, and Giant dealers all have rentals, and most will deduct the rental price from a sale within a month. Try several types: hubs, mids, heavy, light, diamond, and step thru frames. Ride the kind of route you are going to face in real life. Happy hunting!
The op has purchased a bike since posting this thread.

A Benno RemiDemi.

Back