New Ebikes for first time buyers for Seniors

I found a trek bike shop with (2) Allant+ 7 low step and (1) Allant+ 7s stagger. Now I just need to decide 2 Allant+ 7 low steps or 1 low step and 1 Allant+ 7s stagger. Plan to buy when they open.
That sounds good! If you can imagine riding this bike in 10 years... will you be glad you got the low step then? I imagine in ten years I will need something like a step thru. We cannot all be athletic into our late 70's and 80,s like David Berry.

Last edited:
That is what court said in his 2020 review. Schrader. At least OP should be informed to check on this feature on the actual bikes in the store. It could have changed.
I never heard him say that. If he did he was wrong, as sometimes happens. I own two Allant+7. They are prestas. The idea that some folks go on about stuff they personally know nothing about while “advising“ people should stop.

I found a trek bike shop with (2) Allant+ 7 low step and (1) Allant+ 7s stagger. Now I just need to decide 2 Allant+ 7 low steps or 1 low step and 1 Allant+ 7s stagger. Plan to buy when they open.
Best of luck! Its worth mentioning that the Lowstep is NOT compatible with the Range Boost system, should you be wanting that in the future.

Best of luck with your purchases. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Allants. Trek is very reliable. As a 66 year old short person, I will never regret going with a low-step bike.

Attachments

• 6D06D89E-BBC3-4C57-8E26-42B1931115A6.jpeg
    6D06D89E-BBC3-4C57-8E26-42B1931115A6.jpeg
    786.2 KB · Views: 218
Best of luck with your purchases. I don’t think you can go wrong with the Allants. Trek is very reliable. As a 66 year old short person, I will never regret going with a low-step bike.
I’m still throwing my leg up over the horse...at least for now!

I'm 71 and I have trouble throwing my leg over my bike - well, it's not the bike it's the saddle bag I've put on the back to hold my chain, lock, water bottle and a ball cap. It has tire repair stuff in one side pocket and a light rain jacket in the other side pocket.

I put a hand on one brake lever to hold the bike steady. Then I lean the bike way over toward me and throw my leg over the bag and on to the pedal. I know I could do it easier without the bag but I have a need for just about everything in it.

It's not some trivial issue. I can manage but I'm not getting younger. I'm fine at traffic lights I can straddle the frame... just barely. It's mounting that's tough, dismounting not so much

.ebike Tucson.jpg

Again thanks for everyone’s feedback.

Would love to get the Allant+ 7s stagger so I could have the extra speed (class 3, 28mph), but should I be worried that class 3 is not legal on Minnesota state bike paths, only class 1 and 2 (20 mph limit)?

Would love to get the Allant+ 7s stagger so I could have the extra speed (class 3, 28mph), but should I be worried that class 3 is not legal on Minnesota state bike paths, only class 1 and 2 (20 mph limit)?
Nope. I wouldn't worry at all, The only thing I worry about up there is making sure any fish I have in my boat are legal.

Ok purchased the Trek Allant+ 7 low step and Allant+ 7s stagger. Now next step get trailer hitch on my Honda CRV and find a ebike rack.

Here’s a list of what I found so far:
1. Thule XT EasyFOLD XT
2. Kuat NV 2.0
3. Saris MTR

Looking for the best ebike rack for low step ebike with fenders that will be secure and stable. Open to any other recommendations as well.

I wrestled with the same issue (Moved from MN to Milwaukee 5 years ago) here in WI. It however becomes very difficult when trails frequently dump out on to sections of urban streets for interconnection. In those interconnected routs it is often helpful to have the extra speed capability in a defensive sense. I always thought the likely issue was a independent throttle, but you are right, it is class 3. My folks at the local REI seemed to think that there were few around on the local trail system that could discern between the bikes and non big deal? I think it really has to do with sensible and courteous riding. Don’t weave in and out in heavy traffic. Always announce “on your ‘left’”, etc. when going to pass any type of traffic. Don’t ride two abreast where there is not space and lots of traffic. I’m always amazed at the lack courtesy on the trails, and that has nothing to do with bike types. I’m more concerned when I show up at Yellowstone and someone says I can’t ride my bike. I think in the future the only way to deal with it if there are issues will be to have speed limits? I thought the original issue for limitation was the trail surface i.e. mountain bike trails that they didn’t want torn up with the extra torque? People just need to be respectful of the capabilities. Good luck with your purchase this morning.
Ok purchased the Trek Allant+ 7 low step and Allant+ 7s stagger. Now next step get trailer hitch on my Honda CRV and find a ebike rack.

1. Thule XT EasyFOLD XT
2. Kuat NV 2.0
3. Saris MTR

Looking for the best ebike rack for low step ebike with fenders that will be secure and stable. Open to any other recommendations as well.
Congratulations. You are looking at the same racks I am. I’ve settled on the EasyFold, but as I understand it too may be difficult to find. Again congratulations on your bikes.

1. Thule XT EasyFOLD XT
2. Kuat NV 2.0
3. Saris MTR

Our Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE from etrailer.com holds our two Allants. We use one of these bars on the Lowstep and it works perfectly.
01BD1984-776A-4D06-9800-5833D5567ABD.jpeg
6E151C40-BEA0-48AD-873B-6709E1C5FB4C.jpeg

Congrats on the new bikes! And a double congrat on owning a Honda CRV. If its a newer model, you can get a Class 3 hitch installed on it, and be able to handle any 2" rack.

I was pondering a Honda Passport upgrade to our VW in the future, but now this opens up the CRV again as a replacement.

I was interested in those as well. In addition to the 28 mph limit, the 7s has a larger chainring, which I prefer.

I wrestled with the same issue (Moved from MN to Milwaukee 5 years ago) here in WI. It however becomes very difficult when trails frequently dump out on to sections of urban streets for interconnection. In those interconnected routs it is often helpful to have the extra speed capability in a defensive sense. I always thought the likely issue was a independent throttle, but you are right, it is class 3. My folks at the local REI seemed to think that there were few around on the local trail system that could discern between the bikes and non big deal? I think it really has to do with sensible and courteous riding. Don’t weave in and out in heavy traffic. Always announce “on your ‘left’”, etc. when going to pass any type of traffic. Don’t ride two abreast where there is not space and lots of traffic. I’m always amazed at the lack courtesy on the trails, and that has nothing to do with bike types. I’m more concerned when I show up at Yellowstone and someone says I can’t ride my bike. I think in the future the only way to deal with it if there are issues will be to have speed limits? I thought the original issue for limitation was the trail surface i.e. mountain bike trails that they didn’t want torn up with the extra torque? People just need to be respectful of the capabilities. Good luck with your purchase this morning.

Congratulations. You are looking at the same racks I am. I’ve settled on the EasyFold, but as I understand it too may be difficult to find. Again congratulations on your bikes.
I’ve done a little bit of looking and it seems like waitlist everywhere for the Thule Easyfold XT 2. If anyone knows of someone with supply, let me know.

Our Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE from etrailer.com holds our two Allants. We use one of these bars on the Lowstep and it works perfectly.
View attachment 83028View attachment 83029

After researching all the ebike racks I've decided I like the following 2 racks (sturdy and cost).
1. Hollywood Sports Rider SE. $449.00
2. Hollywood Racks RV Rider $569.00 ( a little more expensive, but uses clamps to secure vs. hook)

Both will handle heavy ebikes (80 lbs. / ebike)

Dallant: Hey thanks for your feedback on this, liked your idea of using the bars on the low step and stagger bikes. Now just need to figure out which option I like the most and get an order in so I'm in the wait list. Sounds like it will be at least 2 months wait.
What was your experience with ordering thru trailer.com?

Finally, Thanks to everyone's comments and feedback on ebike choices and ebike racks. It helped a lot in making decisions on what to buy. I'll be using this site to discover more information on ebike accessories and owner maintenance tips.

Last edited:
As a senior citizen ebike owner (2 Espin and 1 Lectric) and a Frey CC on the way, my advice to a fellow geezer is to just pull the trigger and get movin. Buy an ebike. Hell, it may break. You may be out 1500-3000, but just do it. Chances are, you will be fine. You will feel the wind in your hair again, you will see your neighborhood or village and be happy you are mobile. The worst thing you can do is come to this forum and wait for any of us yahoos to tell you which bike is right. Take the plunge and thank us all later. Oh, and buy a helmet...

After researching all the ebike racks I've decided I like the following 2 racks (sturdy and cost).
1. Hollywood Sports Rider SE. $449.00
2. Hollywood Racks RV Rider $569.00 ( a little more expensive, but uses clamps to secure vs. hook)

Both will handle heavy ebikes (80 lbs. / ebike)

Dallant: Hey thanks for your feedback on this, liked your idea of using the bars on the low step and stagger bikes. Now just need to figure out which option I like the most and get an order in so I'm in the wait list. Sounds like it will be at least 2 months wait.
What was your experience with ordering thru trailer.com?

Finally, Thanks to everyone's comments and feedback on ebike choices and ebike racks. It helped a lot in making decisions on what to buy. I'll be using this site to discover more information on ebike accessories and owner maintenance tips.
I thought working with etrailer.com was very good. I’ve ordered two hitches and two racks from them and always got good prices and quick service. They have good use demos on their website. In the case of one hitch, the box was very badly beat up but the hitch itself just had some scratches. Probably due to the carrier vs etrailer.
On a different note, I forgot to re-attach and lock one of the Hollywood rack hooks and left it on the ground near my Rav. It was gone when I returned to the trailhead an hour later. I was able to get a replacement and have it keyed to match my existing rack so Hollywood Racks did well IMO also.
Best of luck!

I thought working with etrailer.com was very good. I’ve ordered two hitches and two racks from them and always got good prices and quick service. They have good use demos on their website. In the case of one hitch, the box was very badly beat up but the hitch itself just had some scratches. Probably due to the carrier vs etrailer.
On a different note, I forgot to re-attach and lock one of the Hollywood rack hooks and left it on the ground near my Rav. It was gone when I returned to the trailhead an hour later. I was able to get a replacement and have it keyed to match my existing rack so Hollywood Racks did well IMO also.
Best of luck!
Hey Dallant,

Still waiting for the Hollywood ebike Rack to be back in stock (plan on buying soon as it is in stock). I have a question for you regarding ebike rack covers. Do you cover your ebikes when you travel? I've read a lot of comments regarding the pros and cons of covering vs not covering.
pros:
- protects the ebike from getting road dirt and debris in all the nooks and crannies of your bikes
- protects against rain (especially electrical components)
- security reasons
cons:
- covers flapping in the wind damages ebike paint
- gas mileage goes way down
- cover completely blocks license plate and car lights

Seems like half of the forum members say yes cover your ebikes when you travel and use straps and cargo nets so they don't flap to much in the wind. While the other half says don't cover except when you stay overnight to keep prying eyes from seeing that you have ebikes.

also what did you do to cover the battery opening when you transport the ebikes?
1. buy the Trek battery cover ($99 - kinda of expensive)
2. neoprene wrap cover ($36)
3. Saran Wrap

Hey Dallant,

Still waiting for the Hollywood ebike Rack to be back in stock (plan on buying soon as it is in stock). I have a question for you regarding ebike rack covers. Do you cover your ebikes when you travel? I've read a lot of comments regarding the pros and cons of covering vs not covering.
pros:
- protects the ebike from getting road dirt and debris in all the nooks and crannies of your bikes
- protects against rain (especially electrical components)
- security reasons
cons:
- covers flapping in the wind damages ebike paint
- gas mileage goes way down
- cover completely blocks license plate and car lights

Seems like half of the forum members say yes cover your ebikes when you travel and use straps and cargo nets so they don't flap to much in the wind. While the other half says don't cover except when you stay overnight to keep prying eyes from seeing that you have ebikes.

also what did you do to cover the battery opening when you transport the ebikes?
1. buy the Trek battery cover ($99 - kinda of expensive)
2. neoprene wrap cover ($36)
3. Saran Wrap
I bought two of the neoprene wraps to cover the battery compartments and I carry them with me always when I use the rack. That said, I put together a system for my pickup truck that keeps them in the bed with a tall topper that locks to protect it for longer trips. I would consider a cover but would be concerned that the cops might ticket me if the license plate and lights are covered up.
E4CC3FF0-BB68-49D9-82AA-24A1B8996864.jpeg

Back