New "Duct tape" style battery

JRA

Well new to me anyway. Years ago my first LiFePo4 battery came wrapped in duct wrap and I used it to power a 1000w Golden Motor wheel mounted in a BOB Yak trailer. It lived in a nylon Ammo type box on the floor of the trailer. For that situation it worked well but for my bike builds since I have always gravitated towards a cased battery with a mount and have had several different types over the years. Now my main bike has an integral battery and I am pretty pleased with that arrangement over the old water bottle mount ones of my past.

So as I was getting my hub motor bike up and running finally I wanted to do the battery and controller in a stealthier/cleaner way than in my first two similar bikes. I came up with the plan to put the battery in a top tube bag as well as the controller. I sourced a baserunner controller from Grin as it is small and fits my architecture of CA3/All Axle motor. For the battery I inquired of my battery connection I told him the dimensions I was looking for with 52v 21700 cells and smart BMS no case and he came back with one that totals 20Ah or 1040wh's. I received it today, 3 weeks from conception, and it fits the scheme perfectly.

52v 1040wh battery.jpg

Older picture of the bike with external controller but test fit to this bag and it fits just right.

e750d done.jpg

So to go full circle I have to say that the outer wrapping and also whatever thin solid material they used under it provides a much better and tight packaging than that first duct tape battery and other than having to figure out how to hold it on a bike these type of batteries are very economical also as this one cost me less than $375 shipped. I believe that first duct tape 48v 12Ah 576wh battery I bought almost 10 yrs ago now was around $500 IIRC.

And they also used an XLR charge plug at my request so that I can plug it directly into the one on my Satiator and be able to charge up to 10A if necessary. And I favor Anderson connectors so speced those also.

Recently added the same type from Jenny Mao. I like my shrink wrap packs.

Recently added the same type from Jenny Mao. I like my shrink wrap packs.
If you ever need to open them, Amazon has replacement shrink wrap in all the available sizes. A cheap heatgun is all you need to seal them up.

If you ever need to open them, Amazon has replacement shrink wrap in all the available sizes. A cheap heatgun is all you need to seal them up.
Thanks, I’ve been repairing and building for several years. Much less expensive from Aliexpress. Rubberized are preferred here but harder to find.

Last edited:
Well new to me anyway. Years ago my first LiFePo4 battery came wrapped in duct wrap and I used it to power a 1000w Golden Motor wheel mounted in a BOB Yak trailer. It lived in a nylon Ammo type box on the floor of the trailer. For that situation it worked well but for my bike builds since I have always gravitated towards a cased battery with a mount and have had several different types over the years. Now my main bike has an integral battery and I am pretty pleased with that arrangement over the old water bottle mount ones of my past.

So as I was getting my hub motor bike up and running finally I wanted to do the battery and controller in a stealthier/cleaner way than in my first two similar bikes. I came up with the plan to put the battery in a top tube bag as well as the controller. I sourced a baserunner controller from Grin as it is small and fits my architecture of CA3/All Axle motor. For the battery I inquired of my battery connection I told him the dimensions I was looking for with 52v 21700 cells and smart BMS no case and he came back with one that totals 20Ah or 1040wh's. I received it today, 3 weeks from conception, and it fits the scheme perfectly.

View attachment 134709

Older picture of the bike with external controller but test fit to this bag and it fits just right.

View attachment 134710

So to go full circle I have to say that the outer wrapping and also whatever thin solid material they used under it provides a much better and tight packaging than that first duct tape battery and other than having to figure out how to hold it on a bike these type of batteries are very economical also as this one cost me less than $375 shipped. I believe that first duct tape 48v 12Ah 576wh battery I bought almost 10 yrs ago now was around $500 IIRC.

And they also used an XLR charge plug at my request so that I can plug it directly into the one on my Satiator and be able to charge up to 10A if necessary. And I favor Anderson connectors so speced those also.
Now that's a nice looking battery! Is it really duct tape or the usual heat shrink?
Care to share some details...
Who's your builder?
Can you post a pic of the wire exit point
And what do you mean by Smart BMS? Passive or Active balancing? Bluetooth? Stats to the display?

Thanks, I’ve been repairing and building for several years. Much less expensive from Aliexpress. Rubberized are preferred here but harder to find.
Here's where you get the rubber heat shrink. It's affordable, but their shipping is fedex/ups only, and then it gets spendy, It's great stuff though, and needs a real heat gun, not a hair dryer, to shrink,

Now that's a nice looking battery! Is it really duct tape or the usual heat shrink?
Care to share some details...
Who's your builder?
Can you post a pic of the wire exit point
And what do you mean by Smart BMS? Passive or Active balancing? Bluetooth? Stats to the display?

The duct tape I was referring to was how my first battery was encapsulated, this version uses a much more modern approach with a thin rigid outer and some sort of shrink wrap material over it.

DingTai Battery in Shenzhen, China. I happened upon this company and have been more than pleased with the 4 batteries I have received from them so far in regards to performance, professionalism, price and speed of order processing. [email protected]

wiring exit.jpg

I have not used the battery yet so don't know exactly what the BMS function(s) are but will report back when I do.

Finally getting the e750d going. A recent rib injury slowed my progress. Just have to tidy up the wiring but all components on board and tires inflated.

e750d.jpg

Difference from the above photo most notably is a Grin baserunner controller now is in the front of the battery in the tt bag instead of a big one hulking on the seat tube. Also frees up those braze ons for another King Cage.

Back