New controller install and test - Pace 500

Wow. That description matches about what I see with the Aventon as far as going slower than a given speed on a PAS level goes
See my posts above and read the rest of that thread rather than a snippet from a single post. That copy/paste was referring to an older model 700. The reason why it took so much effort to go an extra mile per hour wasn't because of the additional power a bike requires to go another mph faster, but rather, it was because the speed based assist on the older model dropped power when trying to ride faster, shifting most of that burden to the rider. The newer gen 700 (like mine) works completely different. The bike display shows the power output at all times, and it maintains pretty constant wattage in a given PAS level, and I can pedal harder and to a faster speed, and the bike will still maintain the same power assist, so it's easy to ride a few mph faster because the power no longer drops down when hitting a certain speed limit (except the legal 28 mph limit). This was an intentional change as the owner of Ride1Up explained in an interview last summer. Personally, I really like the power based assist compared to the speed based assist for my type of riding, more natural response, being able to pedal to a faster speed without a specific speed limit reducing power, excellent efficiency and range, easy to match speed with other riders, and get as much exercise as I want.

I had hoped Aventon and Espin with their new controllers would make the move from speed based to power based PAS as Ride1Up did. I bookmarked this interview video to the point it's mentioned.

Last edited:
Woh, settle down! 😂
My mistake. I did just read the user review and not the follow up posts. Sounds like they’ve made a good change.

Received the new throttle on demand display and controller yesterday, installed this morning then went for a quick ride. First my impression of the new feel and then a couple of notes on the installation. It was a pleasant surprise to see that waking the electronics brings the bike to PAS 0. I had not seen this documented, and to me it is a notable improvement. When set to PAS 1, the famous "lurch" is now more like a noticeable nudge. With factory settings, top speed seems to have been lowered just a bit, too. For me it was around 11 mph instead of the previous 12. Both PAS 1 and 2 have the gentler pedal response, when I went to PAS 3 there was more of a kick. PAS 1 and 2 seemed about 30% less jumpy. The throttle on demand feature worked like a charm. It totally removes the daunting part of being stopped at the bottom of a steep hill. Is it all worth the price of admission? To me, yes. This is my wife's bike, and she never felt comfortable on it. The learning curve has been slightly flattened. I wish Aventon had backed off PAS 1 even more, and lowered the top speed. They could also improve the electronic interface to make software updates via the data port and to allow riders some customization of the power curve. Nevertheless, I'm glad for this update and think it starts to bring the electronics of the Pace 500 up to the level of its mechanical components and build.

The removal of old components and installation of new took me about an hour. I looked over the clear instructions that were provided via email when I purchased the components and figured I could do it myself (despite Aventon "vehemently" insisting that a professional be hired). The only tools needed are a 3mm hex wrench, a small philips head screwdriver and possibly a flat head screwdriver. I also used two pair of pliers to help prise apart the cable connections. Do the job in good light! A headlamp helps. The only two minor issues came in threading the motor cable through the hole in the down tube and in cable management in the tight down tube space. Aventon's instructions and photos are clear, I have only posted a picture of how I managed the threading of the motor cable through the down tube hole without removing the rubber grommet. Remember to install the new controller with cable on top (when in doubt read the instructions :)), and be prepared to push and pull cables a bit to get the battery tray cover back on.

The trickiest part of the job is threading the cable through the hole in the down tube. Although Aventon suggests removing the rubber grommet, I found it was not necessary. What worked for me was to lay the bike on its side and insert a long screwdriver gently through the hole from the bottom. Next I attached the motor cable to the screwdriver tip using tape (directly on top of it, not side by side). Then by both pulling the screwdriver while pushing the cable I was able to get the cable end to the edge of the hole before the tape came off. I pulled it the rest of the way through with needle nose pliers. There must be lots of ways to undertake this fishing expedition, this is just one.

Ride on!

View attachment 81121View attachment 81122
I'm debating weather to try installing the TOD upgrade kit on my Level or take it to my LBS. They are currently running on a 3 week backup. I would like to know what I'm getting into before I open the battery/controller compartment up but haven't come across any videos on YouTube documenting the operation. I understand that there is an email with instructions that Aventon Support sent out to those who wanted to try the DIY route. Is there a particular one for each model of bike? The Level seems like it would be more involved than the Pace. If anyone can post a copy of said instructions I would appreciate it. Thanks

On my Aventon Aventure, PAS 1 seems to assist up to 10 mph, PAS 2 assists up to 15 mph, PAS 3 up to 20 mph, etc.

On my Aventon Aventure, PAS 1 seems to assist up to 10 mph, PAS 2 assists up to 15 mph, PAS 3 up to 20 mph, etc.
Do those hold true if you're going up an incline? Like a cruise control? And is that with the newer controller that is available from Aventon this year?

Do those hold true if you're going up an incline? Like a cruise control? And is that with the newer controller that is available from Aventon this year?
In addition to the speed cutoff at each PAS level, the assist increases at higher PAS levels. At PAS 2, I don't get to 15 mph on a steep hill (even though the assist never cuts off), but I do exceed 15 mph at higher PAS levels. So it looks like a dual system where there is both a speed limit at each PAS level plus additional assist at each PAS level.

This is my experience with the new Aventure. I'm not sure if it has the same controller as the new one that was released for all the bikes earlier this year.

Per email I received from Aventon when I ordered the upgrade kit (Pace 500 in my case). I found the installation to be straight forward and fairly easy. Happy w/ results. Good luck!

Display replacement

Level controller installation

Pace controller installation
Hi Rickey - I was so excited to finally stumble upon your post after searching online for installation instructions for the new controller; Aventon didn't include instructions when they shipped mine, and I can't find them anywhere. Alas, these links are broken (understandable since it was nearly a year ago). Would you be willing to share them again? Thanks so much in advance!!

Hi Rickey - I was so excited to finally stumble upon your post after searching online for installation instructions for the new controller; Aventon didn't include instructions when they shipped mine, and I can't find them anywhere. Alas, these links are broken (understandable since it was nearly a year ago). Would you be willing to share them again? Thanks so much in advance!!
Those were the links that Aventon sent me and, sorry to say, they are no longer good. A quick web search did not show me any controller upgrade instructions either, which may be Aventon's attempt to push people to
a bike shop. I did not find a DIY install too difficult. If you haven't done so, you might send an email request to their "award winning customer service" (not sure what award that might be) ;). If you get working links, I will be glad to update my post.

Those were the links that Aventon sent me and, sorry to say, they are no longer good. A quick web search did not show me any controller upgrade instructions either, which may be Aventon's attempt to push people to
a bike shop. I did not find a DIY install too difficult. If you haven't done so, you might send an email request to their "award winning customer service" (not sure what award that might be) ;). If you get working links, I will be glad to update my post.
Thanks for the quick reply! I actually just heard back from Aventon customer service and they provided me with a link. What luck! Here it is:

I am midway through my Display and Controller upgrade. I installed the display and it seems to be working fine. Before I went on to install the controller I wanted to make sure everything was good. In going through a check I noticed that with the NEW display and OLD controller installed I can no longer access the Advanced Settings Menu (by holding + and -). Is this expected? Once I install the new controller will I have access to these settings again? I want to be able to adjust the PAS levels as was discussed in various other posts. Thanks in advance.

I don't know if that's expected or not, I didn't stop my install halfway through:)
But absolutely you will have access to Advanced Settings when the install is complete and working--I change those settings often in my new setup.

The one downside of the new controller is the throttle is not available in PAS0. This is a problem for me because I ride a lot in PAS0 and like to have the throttle available if I find I can't make the top of a hill in PAS0.

The upside is that the throttle (in PAS1 and above) is invoked immediately, no quarter turn of the pedals required as with the old controller. This is an immense plus when starting at the bottom of a hill or crossing a busy road.

I don't know if that's expected or not, I didn't stop my install halfway through:)
But absolutely you will have access to Advanced Settings when the install is complete and working--I change those settings often in my new setup.
Took me a bit to get it installed and eventually took it to local bike shop for installation of new controller due to a few stripped screws (not my doing). So now have new color monitor AND new controller installed on my Pace500. And STILL when I try to get into advanced menu I cannot. On the old monitor it was holding the + and - keys for five seconds. That does not seem to work with the new monitor and controller. So clearly there is some key combo I need to press I am not aware of. So on the new monitor, and controller what buttons do you press to get into the advanced menu settings? Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear you are having problems. With the display on, I hold the up and down arrow buttons simultaneously for a couple of seconds and the advanced menu comes up. I was one of the first to put in the new display and controller, so I don't know if Aventon has changed anything since then, but this method works for me.

Back