New Bikepacking Tent

K PierreR

Region
USA
I'm excited. I just ordered a new tent from REI. I am replacing a tent that I got as a gift 44 years ago. Promised myself that I would buy a new tent when I had gotten over putting the f----ing word in front of the word "tent" every time I referred to a tent. This tent is a two-person tent but has a vestibule large enough to get my E Fatbike under it and only weighs 5 pounds. My present tent has almost nothing for a vestibule and I track mud into it. I and the dog will give it a try with an overnight excursion as soon as it gets here.
Want to slowly build up better gear for doing the Great Divide MTB Route or the Western Wildlands Route, self-supported next year.

Footprint came today and the tent is supposed to show up tomorrow. The weather looks perfect coming up for an overnighter so I will do that. Three possibilities, I can go anywhere from 28 to 55 miles one way. Pictures to follow.

Well, I got the tent and put it up. It was fairly easy to put up, but I don't know about a wind. I would stake it out first in a wind. Need to pound the tent pegs they won't just push in but they seem secure. The tent is sideways inside and airy. The tent will keep out all the bugs but the bugs like getting under the vestibule.
The big question was; Does the bike fit under the vestibule and the answer is yes. I can squeeze it in and still get around it and put up a chair to sit outside in the rain. I think it will work and it's fairly light for what I got. About the same as my other tent, around 6 pounds total. I can zip up the rain fly over the bike if the pack is removed from the rack. IMG_3177.JPGIMG_3179.JPGIMG_3183.JPG
IMG_3177.JPG
IMG_3179.JPG
IMG_3183.JPG

Mr Coffee, that there tarp thingy is a total Fking tent. No way would I sleep in that with a dog, 100k deer ticks per acre and equally as many mosquitos.
It is variable geometry so I can bring interior bug protection as appropriate:

And I have ridden out quite a bit of weather in those little shelters just fine:

1655871480139.jpeg

Oh, and I was brought up thinking that full-on tents are for mountaineering and girls.

It is variable geometry so I can bring interior bug protection as appropriate:

And I have ridden out quite a bit of weather in those little shelters just fine:

View attachment 126745

Oh, and I was brought up thinking that full-on tents are for mountaineering and girls.
I see your bug protection is sub freezing temperatures. That will work.
Tents are for rednecks, the homeless and kid sleepovers. Sophisticated people carry credit cards and sleep in hotels when they travel by e bike.
speaking of girls, my biking buddy likes a tent. She is 2 Kg poodle. With the big rig I can carry the extra weight of this dog , her stuff and the tent.
IMG_2877.JPG

This "girl" doesn't like rain blowing in, and likes a bit of privacy.

I've backpacked and professionally camped with a dome tent and last tent was a small, but very weatherproof non dome tent. I still have it. It weighs 3 pounds because that was about as light as you could get at that time. It's been snowed and rained on and I kept dry inside. Don't need a chair. That's what blowdown and stumps are for.

Got a 6 pounder for car camping. It's bomb proof and still small enough to keep warm inside with a dog along for heat.

It's all about preference, shouldn't be a sexist choice. And yes, this "girl" has also slept under a blue tarp for a few weeks. I definitely prefer a tent.

I bought an instant-up tent a few years back and I will never go back to anything with shock rods or whatever... Lay it flat, do up a snap or two on each of 4 rods and the tent raises itself. Job done. Integral rainfly actually works, too. I can carry it on the back of my longtail, too.

PXL_20210521_204030091.jpg

Dry for sleeping and security for the bikes.

Attachments

• 20220619_092006.jpg
    20220619_092006.jpg
    541.6 KB · Views: 153
I saw a Naturehike tent designed for motorcycles which would be ideal for a large fat bike - Cloud Tourer 2 is the model.

Also recommend the Expet Megamat 15LXM Duo to sleep on as it’s as comfy as a bed at home unlike most sleeping pads.

I find the Urban Dictionary interesting at times. I actually have never had anyone talk to me about any of my analog bikes. Whenever I ride the ebike, someone wants to know more about it. Can talk all day to another old fart when the Sprinter and ebike are side by side.

One of those is my longterm goal. But just priced a low roof crew version with the bare interior, good 4x4 wheels with better tires this morning.... $73k
There is also a $15-30,000 "market adjustment" premium dealers are currently charging over MSRP for 4X4.

I see your bug protection is sub freezing temperatures. That will work.
Tents are for rednecks, the homeless and kid sleepovers. Sophisticated people carry credit cards and sleep in hotels when they travel by e bike.
speaking of girls, my biking buddy likes a tent. She is 2 Kg poodle. With the big rig I can carry the extra weight of this dog , her stuff and the tent. View attachment 126749
I see this is old. But I'm a ebike n more so a dog lover. I like your camping buddy. My dogs a little bigger, 17 lbs.

Back