New Allant+ 8S owner, impressions and a question

mike1433

Region
USA
I've been riding a Stromer ST2 for a few years and bought an Allant+ 8S over the weekend to replace it (the Stromer broke, not really over that yet). I tested every electric commuter bike I could find in the area first including Gazelle, Cannondale, Magnum, etc. A lot of the higher end mid drive bikes out there today seem to have the same Bosch system so the implementation of that system is what differentiates them. Trek seems to have nailed it.

Pro's
  • The first thing that caught my eye was the lines of the bike, the flow from the head to rear hub is just beautiful.
  • It rides great. The assist is really smooth and you can tell it's helping you power the bike, not the other way around like some hub drives feel.
  • I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the smartphonehub, but I like it. The interface, COBI.bike, is not really intuitive but once you learn it it's easy to get around.
  • The bike is great for us looking to improve our performance and general fitness. I spend most of my riding time on the screen showing heart rate, cadence, and energy output. Pretty premium features if you ask me considering an energy output meter can cost over a grand alone. I'm not sure if it's actaully reading how much energy you're producing or if it's estimating though...
  • I like that turn by turn directions are included in the app, I hate trying to switch between apps while riding.
  • 625wh battery with the option to add a 500wh range booster, because range anxiety is definitely a thing.
  • lots of mounting points for accessories.
  • Voice notifications are cool
Cons
  • The first one I tested, the battery ejected mid flight. This is apparently a know issue and there is a service alert about it. I had the one I bought checked to make sure it was adjusted as well as possible and I'm keeping a band around the battery until I fully trust it.
  • My phone popped out of the holder once, I'm going to modify my case so it locks in better.
  • I kind of wish it had front suspension, but this is something I can add down the road if I feel I really need it.
  • I have to bring it back to my LBS to enable my ability to turn the lights off. I really hate features like this, I bought the bike I should be able to configure it any way I want without help.
My Questions if anyone can help
  • COBI.bike reports a lot of info while you ride, and can transfer that to Strava when the ride is done, but I can't seem to find any type of workout log or history in the app itself. Am I missing something or does the app dump the trip info after each trip?
  • Is there a way get to the same settings the dealer has access to? And how can you check and update the motor's firmware? Is this something the app does?
And here's a pic from my first grocery run on the bike

Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_4513.jpg
    IMG_4513.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 523
Check the trek threads to address these questions in detail. I’ve been off my Allant for a few months (medical) so dimly remember the firmware is to be found in COBI. I have Strava loading upon firing up…also an Apple Watch which is simple to connect. One tip I read from Alaskan here is when you go in to activate the light switch, also get them to reduce the light reserve from 10% to 3%. I say without fear of contradiction you will love the bike

Congrats on the bike, I'm sure you'll love it.

COBI does not store previous ride info other than the summary of your last ride and todays totals on the main screen when you launch the app. Rides can be automatically uploaded to Strava and Komoot if you link the accounts. Power reading in Strava are about 20% lower than what COBI shows during the ride - my guess is that Strava includes time coasting in the average while COBI does not. Cadence seems within 1-2 RPM. If you use a different fitness app you'll probably need to export from Strava and import into your app.

The SPH will automatically look for and update its firmware when you launch COBI. You can see what firmware is on your motor and battery under your bike(whaterever you named it in COBI) then the settings icon in the upper right, then click components. The dealer has to update those as needed.

As far as keeping the phone in the holder I added the silicone band from my old phone mount that hasn't failed in 3000+ miles. Seems like cheap insurance.

IMG_20210516_152007.jpg
IMG_20210516_152040.jpg

COBI does not store previous ride info other than the summary of your last ride and todays totals on the main screen when you launch the app. Rides can be automatically uploaded to Strava and Komoot if you link the accounts. Power reading in Strava are about 20% lower than what COBI shows during the ride - my guess is that Strava includes time coasting in the average while COBI does not. Cadence seems within 1-2 RPM. If you use a different fitness app you'll probably need to export from Strava and import into your app.

The SPH will automatically look for and update its firmware when you launch COBI. You can see what firmware is on your motor and battery under your bike(whaterever you named it in COBI) then the settings icon in the upper right, then click components. The dealer has to update those as needed.

As far as keeping the phone in the holder I added the silicone band from my old phone mount that hasn't failed in 3000+ miles. Seems like cheap insurance.
Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for, and the silicon band idea is perfect!

Congrats on your new ride!
I had the opposite happen with my Allant+7 battery…it wouldn’t come out. My LBS quickly/easily adjusted and it’s been perfect ever since with 1400+ miles on it. Take care of that 625! I’ve had one on order for over 7 months!

Last edited:

the only thing from the cobi I want on the kiox of Nyon. if all my rides were uploaded to starva I would not need my garmin for most rides.

Congratulations on your new ride!

I kind of wish it had front suspension, but this is something I can add down the road if I feel I really need it.
I wouldn't worry that much if I were you, Mike. Unless you are a very heavy person, try deflating your tyres (especially the front one) towards the minimum allowed by the manufacturer; not necessarily to the very minimum but closely. Your Allant+ is equipped with pretty big tyres; deflating them will provide so dramatic vibration reduction you're gonna love it! (It is a word from an owner of another premium rigid fork e-bike; the pressure in my tyres is 10 psi above the rated minimum but I rode at the minimum pressure, too). I'm about 200 lbs.

I have to bring it back to my LBS to enable my ability to turn the lights off. I really hate features like this, I bought the bike I should be able to configure it any way I want without help.
Again, why worry? "Lights always on" means you are visible at all times, and that's a great safety measure. The consumption of the battery for e-bike lighting is indeed minimal (again, a word from an owner of an e-bike with "lights always on").

Many happy & safe rides!

I use an old phone without a sim card for my readout. That way, if it flies off and gets broken, nothing lost. You can use offline maps so it doesn't need a live connection. It uploads my ride via wifi when I get home as soon as I shut things down in the garage.

Congratulations on your new ride!

I wouldn't worry that much if I were you, Mike. Unless you are a very heavy person, try deflating your tyres (especially the front one) towards the minimum allowed by the manufacturer; not necessarily to the very minimum but closely. Your Allant+ is equipped with pretty big tyres; deflating them will provide so dramatic vibration reduction you're gonna love it! (It is a word from an owner of another premium rigid fork e-bike; the pressure in my tyres is 10 psi above the rated minimum but I rode at the minimum pressure, too). I'm about 200 lbs.

Again, why worry? "Lights always on" means you are visible at all times, and that's a great safety measure. The consumption of the battery for e-bike lighting is indeed minimal (again, a word from an owner of an e-bike with "lights always on").

Many happy & safe rides!
Yeah, definitely taking a wait and see on the forks and I'll play around with tire pressures, thanks for the tip!
As for the light, I do a lot of greenway riding and feel constantly hitting people with the light can be rude.

Yes, you can deflate to soften the ride but you’ll also cause more tire friction. There are other options like suspension seat posts and handlebar stems that are very popular here and might work well for you. Like you, I don’t ride in a lot of traffic and got the update done so I can easily turn lights on/off. There’s simply no reason to abdicate control to the manufacturer. Some here have said the light can be a significant battery draw.

Like you, I don’t ride in a lot of traffic and got the update done so I can easily turn lights on/off.
It is good to know such an update is available for the U.S. market. (In Europe, S-Pedelecs must have lights always on, and I think Bosch -- as a German company -- was addressing that requirement for the Speed motors). Personally, I like people using lighting on trails, as the chances for a crash are lower there, too. It is your choice though Mike.

Regarding the suspension fork. It is not easy to find one of high quality, possibly with air-spring and proper travel post-market. The ones used in, say, Allant+ 7/7s and by other brands are typically coil-loaded inexpensive OEM parts hard to find in aftermarket. Technically, principal functionality of the bike suspension is to improve traction, not the riding comfort. Suspension fork adds extra weight to the bike as well.
Deflating tyres increases the rolling resistance -- you're right Dallant! -- but it is the motor to counter that. Deflating tyres should be done by trial-and-error to find the sweet point: where tyres dampen the road vibration but the rolling resistance is not dramatic yet. (I agree with Dallant: suspension seat-post and suspension stem do miracles for slow vibration).

Last edited:
You'll like the rigid fork for the increased efficiency. We have done many miles with no assist when riding with unpowered friends. They pedal on the flats easy to 15-16mph. Get a suspension seatpost, lower front pressure a little and the ride is nice. Order some clear protective film, cover the top tube and battery cover and the bottom of the frame tube. These areas seem the most susceptible to paint scratches. I swapped the tires for Continental Top Contact II, love the ride. Also put on a Brooks saddle, looks sharp and is comfy.

Congrats on the new 8S!!!, I also have the 8S, upgraded the pedals, got the kinekt stem and seatpost and also use a Quad Lock phone mount, as my phone occasionally pops out here any there I just flipped the Smartphone hub upside down.

Enjoy the bike, keep us posted!

You'll like the rigid fork for the increased efficiency. We have done many miles with no assist when riding with unpowered friends. They pedal on the flats easy to 15-16mph. Get a suspension seatpost, lower front pressure a little and the ride is nice. Order some clear protective film, cover the top tube and battery cover and the bottom of the frame tube. These areas seem the most susceptible to paint scratches. I swapped the tires for Continental Top Contact II, love the ride. Also put on a Brooks saddle, looks sharp and is comfy.
Yes, the first thing I did was swap the thudbuster and Brooks saddle from my Stromer to this bike. For some reason it's almost too bouncy on this bike and I might replace one of them.

Congrats on the new 8S!!!, I also have the 8S, upgraded the pedals, got the kinekt stem and seatpost and also use a Quad Lock phone mount, as my phone occasionally pops out here any there I just flipped the Smartphone hub upside down.

Enjoy the bike, keep us posted!
Thanks for the reply! I like the look of that kinekt stem, how do you like yours? Did you get the 7 or 30 degree?

My thought on the suspension is less moving parts are better. Also, I do have suspension on my trike and kind of wish I did not for the weight savings and feel of the road. My last trike was ridged and had a better feel as I remember.
Congrats on the new 8s. Just got one myself.

View attachment 88570View attachment 88571
Thank you for the silicone band tip. I just ordered one.

I've been riding a Stromer ST2 for a few years and bought an Allant+ 8S over the weekend to replace it (the Stromer broke, not really over that yet). I tested every electric commuter bike I could find in the area first including Gazelle, Cannondale, Magnum, etc. A lot of the higher end mid drive bikes out there today seem to have the same Bosch system so the implementation of that system is what differentiates them. Trek seems to have nailed it.

Pro's
  • The first thing that caught my eye was the lines of the bike, the flow from the head to rear hub is just beautiful.
  • It rides great. The assist is really smooth and you can tell it's helping you power the bike, not the other way around like some hub drives feel.
  • I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the smartphonehub, but I like it. The interface, COBI.bike, is not really intuitive but once you learn it it's easy to get around.
  • The bike is great for us looking to improve our performance and general fitness. I spend most of my riding time on the screen showing heart rate, cadence, and energy output. Pretty premium features if you ask me considering an energy output meter can cost over a grand alone. I'm not sure if it's actaully reading how much energy you're producing or if it's estimating though...
  • I like that turn by turn directions are included in the app, I hate trying to switch between apps while riding.
  • 625wh battery with the option to add a 500wh range booster, because range anxiety is definitely a thing.
  • lots of mounting points for accessories.
  • Voice notifications are cool
Cons
  • The first one I tested, the battery ejected mid flight. This is apparently a know issue and there is a service alert about it. I had the one I bought checked to make sure it was adjusted as well as possible and I'm keeping a band around the battery until I fully trust it.
  • My phone popped out of the holder once, I'm going to modify my case so it locks in better.
  • I kind of wish it had front suspension, but this is something I can add down the road if I feel I really need it.
  • I have to bring it back to my LBS to enable my ability to turn the lights off. I really hate features like this, I bought the bike I should be able to configure it any way I want without help.
My Questions if anyone can help
  • COBI.bike reports a lot of info while you ride, and can transfer that to Strava when the ride is done, but I can't seem to find any type of workout log or history in the app itself. Am I missing something or does the app dump the trip info after each trip?
  • Is there a way get to the same settings the dealer has access to? And how can you check and update the motor's firmware? Is this something the app does?
And here's a pic from my first grocery run on the bike

Thanks,
Mike
Mike,

I added a Redshift Sports Shockstop Suspension Stem. It works wonderful on pavement cracks, especially the ones they fill with tar. Also great on reducing "handlebar buzz". The elastomers come in different resistance ratings. I used the medium one to start and it was way too harsh. I ended up using the softest one (yellow) and it works great.

Tire pressure reduction will also help. My tire inflation range is 35-60 p.s.i. I tried numerous pressure changes and found the 40 p.s.i. inflation to work best.

Back