New 2019 Turbo Vado 3.0

Jim in Central CA

Region
USA
City
Oakdale
Hello to all of the members of this forum. I have been spying on all of you for the last couple of months as I tried to decide if I should get an e-bike and, if so, which e-bike. Thanks to all of the information available on-line and via this forum I decided to go with mid-drive vs. hub drive, even though mid-drive is more expensive. The whole point of my getting an e-bike was to get more exercise, so I eventually decided on a Specialized Turbo Vado. I then started studying the different models and learned about the changes Specialized made between the 2019 models and the 2020 models. So thanks to all of you for that information, too! 👍 Along with this knowledge I also found a brand new 2019 Turbo Vado 3.0 on e-bay. The bike shop selling the bikes had four new 2019 3.0 Vados in stock, and with free shipping, too. That was important because I am in California and the bike shop is in Massachusetts. The price was discounted to $2,999 due to the bikes being 2 years old. I am 5'5" so I needed the Small frame size, and they had one. Plus, it was Storm Gray (blue!) which is the color I wanted, so it was tempting, but I still held back. After all, $3,000 for a bike is still very expensive in my book. After a couple weeks they had only sold one of the four bikes, so in early April they discounted them another $200 and I then decided (or perhaps rationalized ;)) I would never again have the chance to buy a brand new 2019 Vado 3.0 in my size with the 10 speeds, slightly better shifter, slightly better brakes, in my favorite color, and at such a favorable price, so I took the plunge. The bike arrived new in the box in mid-April and I had it put together by my LBS to ensure the factory warranty is in place. I live in a small town in Central California, and luckily, we have a small LBS here in town and they are an authorized Specialized dealer so that worked out perfectly. As you all know, the 2019 Vados have the BLOKS display, which is not ideal, but I am not a super-serious rider (at least not yet), so while I wouldn't mind having Mission Control capability, it is not a deal-breaker.

Anyway, I am getting to know my bike and really enjoying it so far. My goal is to use it to replace my car for local trips around my little town as a way to get more exercise. I have a set of keyed-alike locks on order from ABUS (again, thanks to the folks posting on this forum), so until the locks arrive I am not willing to leave it outside the grocery store or hardware store while I shop, but I am riding it to church and cruising around town just for fun and exercise. Also, I am already thinking about stepping up to the 48 tooth chain ring that comes on the Vado 5.0. We don't have any real hills to speak of where I live, so hill climbing ability is not critical for me. I am just getting back in to riding after about 12 years away from bikes, but I am always in the higher gears, so perhaps the 48 tooth chain ring would be better for me than the 40 tooth chain ring the 3.0 came with. 🤔 Also, I plan to get a set of panniers to use for carrying groceries home from the store, but right now everything seems to be sold out so I will just have to wait until things come back in stock.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for the information you have shared that helped me decide to get my bike. I am looking forward to a long and happy ownership experience with my new Vado 3.0 and I can see that as I gain more endurance I will want to take longer trips father afield. Perhaps over the coast to the Monterey area, the San Francisco Bay area, and up to the Sacramento area. :cool:

Attachments

• 2019 Turbo Vado 3.0.jpg
    2019 Turbo Vado 3.0.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 325
Hello to all of the members of this forum. I have been spying on all of you for the last couple of months as I tried to decide if I should get an e-bike and, if so, which e-bike. Thanks to all of the information available on-line and via this forum I decided to go with mid-drive vs. hub drive, even though mid-drive is more expensive. The whole point of my getting an e-bike was to get more exercise, so I eventually decided on a Specialized Turbo Vado. I then started studying the different models and learned about the changes Specialized made between the 2019 models and the 2020 models. So thanks to all of you for that information, too! 👍 Along with this knowledge I also found a brand new 2019 Turbo Vado 3.0 on e-bay. The bike shop selling the bikes had four new 2019 3.0 Vados in stock, and with free shipping, too. That was important because I am in California and the bike shop is in Massachusetts. The price was discounted to $2,999 due to the bikes being 2 years old. I am 5'5" so I needed the Small frame size, and they had one. Plus, it was Storm Gray (blue!) which is the color I wanted, so it was tempting, but I still held back. After all, $3,000 for a bike is still very expensive in my book. After a couple weeks they had only sold one of the four bikes, so in early April they discounted them another $200 and I then decided (or perhaps rationalized ;)) I would never again have the chance to buy a brand new 2019 Vado 3.0 in my size with the 10 speeds, slightly better shifter, slightly better brakes, in my favorite color, and at such a favorable price, so I took the plunge. The bike arrived new in the box in mid-April and I had it put together by my LBS to ensure the factory warranty is in place. I live in a small town in Central California, and luckily, we have a small LBS here in town and they are an authorized Specialized dealer so that worked out perfectly. As you all know, the 2019 Vados have the BLOKS display, which is not ideal, but I am not a super-serious rider (at least not yet), so while I wouldn't mind having Mission Control capability, it is not a deal-breaker.

Anyway, I am getting to know my bike and really enjoying it so far. My goal is to use it to replace my car for local trips around my little town as a way to get more exercise. I have a set of keyed-alike locks on order from ABUS (again, thanks to the folks posting on this forum), so until the locks arrive I am not willing to leave it outside the grocery store or hardware store while I shop, but I am riding it to church and cruising around town just for fun and exercise. Also, I am already thinking about stepping up to the 48 tooth chain ring that comes on the Vado 5.0. We don't have any real hills to speak of where I live, so hill climbing ability is not critical for me. I am just getting back in to riding after about 12 years away from bikes, but I am always in the higher gears, so perhaps the 48 tooth chain ring would be better for me than the 40 tooth chain ring the 3.0 came with. 🤔 Also, I plan to get a set of panniers to use for carrying groceries home from the store, but right now everything seems to be sold out so I will just have to wait until things come back in stock.

Anyway, thanks again to all of you for the information you have shared that helped me decide to get my bike. I am looking forward to a long and happy ownership experience with my new Vado 3.0 and I can see that as I gain more endurance I will want to take longer trips father afield. Perhaps over the coast to the Monterey area, the San Francisco Bay area, and up to the Sacramento area. :cool:
If I were you I would upgrade the BLOKS to the TCD-w display. If for no other reason than to tune the motor to adjust for range. The default settings are really to much for me. By tuning to lower assist you can increase battery life and range.
Congratulations on getting your Vado!

If I were you I would upgrade the BLOKS to the TCD-w display. If for no other reason than to tune the motor to adjust for range. The default settings are really to much for me. By tuning to lower assist you can increase battery life and range.
Congratulations on getting your Vado!
Hello from NH on my Vado 3.0 I did tune the settings the only setting I changed was the sport setting here is what I have for settings
each setting has 2 settings support and peak power S and PP
here are factory settings Turbo S 100% PP 100% Sport S 70% PP 100% Eco S 35% PP 35%
here are my settings Turbo S 100% PP 100% Sport S 50% PP 75% Eco S 35% PP 35%
The only setting I customized was Sport and I have went 70 miles on one charge. Lots of hills in NH and rides are over 2,000 feet of ascent on my Garmin. What are your settings ?

Attachments

• HennikerNH3.JPG
    HennikerNH3.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 291
Hello from NH on my Vado 3.0 I did tune the settings the only setting I changed was the sport setting here is what I have for settings
each setting has 2 settings support and peak power S and PP
here are factory settings Turbo S 100% PP 100% Sport S 70% PP 100% Eco S 35% PP 35%
here are my settings Turbo S 100% PP 100% Sport S 50% PP 75% Eco S 35% PP 35%
The only setting I customized was Sport and I have went 70 miles on one charge. Lots of hills in NH and rides are over 2,000 feet of ascent on my Garmin. What are your settings ?
I switch them up. For range I'll go as low as 20 ECO/50 Sport/75 Turbo. 20/20, 50/50, 75/75. Otherwise default settings. 70 miles is great on a charge. Especially, 2000 ft. Elevation. The most I've got carrying 30 pound load was 84 miles with moderate hills with little to no head wind. I peddle a lot unassisted too.

I switch them up. For range I'll go as low as 20 ECO/50 Sport/75 Turbo. 20/20, 50/50, 75/75. Otherwise default settings. 70 miles is great on a charge. Especially, 2000 ft. Elevation. The most I've got carrying 30 pound load was 84 miles with moderate hills with little to no head wind. I peddle a lot unassisted too.
I should have posted these earlier here are the stats for the 70 mile ride I had 8% battery left I can say as I got closer to home I stopped being concerned about running out of battery.

Attachments

• Ridestats1.JPG
    Ridestats1.JPG
    384.8 KB · Views: 304
  • Ridestats2.JPG
    Ridestats2.JPG
    348 KB · Views: 298
Perhaps over the coast to the Monterey area, the San Francisco Bay area, and up to the Sacramento area
You might want to plug a few prototype routes into Strava or another bike route app and see what kind of elevation profiles they have before swapping out that 40T chain ring. In my experiences driving around by car there years ago it’d be pretty hilly on a bike 😁.

Back