Neo Xtreme

A few photos from todays ride.

Sadly nothing too extreme though.

rs1.jpg rs2.jpg rs3.jpg rs4.jpg rs5.jpg

Well, I must say you are putting this bike into its true intended use and doing very well.
I just wish BH UK's support was much better.
How is the ride comfort after adding Thudbuster?

Thanks Ravi,

I along with many other UK BH Easy Motion owners, wish that the UK support was much better. Seemingly unlike other countries, they don't appear to treat the E-bike market with any seriousness.

The thudbuster is superb. The old railway line which is now a pathway in the centre photo has always proved a 'sore point' to ride on, but not anymore. :)

The thudbuster along with the Rockshox Reba front forks have totally transformed the whole bike. The front end of the bike now just seems to lift effortlessly over anything. It is so light.

I did come close to having a tumble on the road though. We still have a lot of flood water, and I was riding very slowly and steady down the centre of a flooded road, when suddenly the front end of the bike just disappeared almost up to the disc. The bike stopped dead, and it transpired from talking to another cyclist who had had the same thing happen to him earlier on the day, that a trench had opened up across the whole road. I was just thankful that I had literally just been crawling along, so no damage caused.

I also had a bit of fun when I came across a major cycle event which took in a very steep mile long hill. I effortlessly sailed past 100+ riders all puffing and panting. Listening to the comments and watching the spectators faces was quiet comical. I even had my photo taken by their official photographer as I sailed past.. :D

I'll have to see if it comes up on their web page if I can find it.

Those are sweet pics Eddie! Saw them posted on Facebook earlier today as well. If you get the chance to do any shots where the image is wider I'd love to use on the homepage. The one in the green grass is awesome but the sky will get cut out, possibly even the bike, when I crop. Glad you didn't fly over the handlebars with that flood crack... or wreck the suspension fork that's working so well for you :)

Thanks Court,

Sadly sunny days are currently few and far between over here at the moment, but I'll try my best next time out to get a few photos using my phone, as the phone has a better camera with more options. :)

I'm also booked in to take part in a 26mile MTB ride on the 08th March which takes in 'The South Downs' https://www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk/events/wiggle-southern-rough-ride/ There should hopefully be some good opportunities to take a few photos along the way.

This could prove to be an 'interesting' event, as many MTB riders over here are very anti e-bikes! :D

If I don't get kicked off and enjoy the event, I'm already set to take part in the whole series. :)

Last edited:
That looks like a blast Eddie! Hopefully the guys are cool to you and excited about the bike. Most people I meet are friendly and curious about new tech, especially if you're friendly with them :)

I've given the bike a thorough going over to get it all ready for next weekend, and I've also finished making and fitting of the Mk3 version of a rear mudguard. I'm going to give the bike an on road shake down on Thursday just to make sure that all is good.

0b75eb5adc0ce78e1dca5bf9753882a5.jpg 07cafa247a6e76f3c8ceb2d07422f07c.jpg a87638cbf5059fb814585f65366f1a8b.jpg

I got to say that even just riding this bike across the garden made me smile. Something that the Haibike or mid drive bikes as a whole are never going to do.
I'm definitely a hub drive fan, and the Rockshox Reba forks have certainly turned this into a different bike to ride. Even just pushing down hard on peddles whilst riding along the driveway now has the front end hooking off the ground. :)

With the prep all but done for next weekend, I've been busy making a list of what to take, and oddly I wouldn't normally bother with some of the stuff that I'm taking. I'm also taking the certificate of conformity/compliance for the bike just in case someone decides to say something. I was giving this event some thought yesterday, and potentially this could be the first time that an E-MTB has been ridden in an event such as this over here.
I'll have to get some electricbikereview stickers slapped on it. :D

On a negative note, this has been a horrendously bad week for my joints and joint pain, and I struggled to complete 36miles of road riding yesterday, so I'm currently very concerned about 28miles off road. Normally I'd have just shrugged my shoulders and got on with it, but given how horrendously wet and flooded that it is over here, this event could prove very hard work. Judging when to use the battery and when not to, and to what degree to make it last the distance is going to fun.

Last edited:
I have never ridden a mid drive bike, but they seem like the "next greatest thing." Especially on mountain bikes. I am curious why you're not a fan and prefer the hub motor.
Didn't you just get a Haibike? Do you not like it?

I know that you have had problems with your BH Xtreme. Seems like a love-hate relationship; especially in the area of customer support. However, what would you honestly tell a prospective buyer? I am thinking about the 650b. Should I stay away? or.. Is the love part of the relationship worth the hate part??

Best of luck on your upcoming ride. IT looks like an incredible adventure. So much fun!!

Thanks Vern.
I went for the Haibike as I wanted a bike that would be able to cover greater distances on one charge, be relatively light weight, have a good component spec and be reliable. The Haibike just happened to be far cheaper than any of the other bikes that I had been looking at. I'd have loved a NEO Race, but as the BH factory support just isn't there, I didn't want to risk paying out an extra £500.00. Buying the Haibike from Germany I still don't get the factory support, but just about every E-bike dealer knows Bosch systems, and the rest is just cycle parts.

I get the impression that BH support is taken far more seriously in the States than here in the UK, and you certainly won't find anyone from BH on UK forums supporting and answering questions. I certainly wouldn't recommend that anyone in the UK buys a BH Easy Motion product. It will just end in tears. If I were in the States, I probably wouldn't hesitate to recommend the product.

Over here when there is an issue, it appears to become a series of the dealer hassling the importer, the importer hassling Spain, Spain not responding and so the circle continues. Here in the UK if you need parts, you had better hope that you have a second bike to ride and plenty of patience.

Sadly it seems that no importance is given to customer support and it doesn't take long for people to such as myself to begin to get fed up. One other aspect that I don't like is that BH use some fairly low spec components on the bikes, the forks being the biggest of that list. Fitting a set of £50.00 front forks to a £2,000.00 bike isn't good practice. Ravi has already mentioned not being able to bunny hop his bike, and I couldn't either until the forks were replaced. Obviously the rear end is still a dead weight, but the now light front end more than makes up for it, and bunny hops are now a realistic proposition.

In relation to the mid drive, I just can't get excited by it. Mid drives are meant to climb better, and stay cooler but I have certainly never found the BH wanting in either department.
All hub drive motors are an unsprung weight/mass which isn't a great thing to have, so 4.5kg of motor and wheel probably is not a good thing to have, and this is where mid drive motors score, as they don't have this unsprung extra weight/mass, as the motor is sprung weight/mass. In real world terms, I don't think that it makes any difference to what I'm asking of a bike. In some respects having the hub motor makes the bike possibly more stable, and maybe even cut into the soft ground better.

I have in the past considered a hub drive E-MTB, as to me there is far less risk of water ever getting into the motor, and rear wheel maintenance is obviously far less hassle. We also don't tend to have throttles on bikes over here, but the hub drive can be tricked just enough to power you through sections of mud or ruts, that you wouldn't otherwise be able to pedal through. So that again is a distinct advantage over mid drive, as when you stop peddling the motor also instantly stops. I also enjoy the near silence that a hub drive motors has. The mid drive isn't overly noisy, but I still find it an irritation.

Another possible hassle of my owning a mid drive E-MTB could be the entry into event such as the one that I am about to do. There is no getting away from the fact that the Bosch mid drive and motor stand out like a sore thumb, where as the BH has a very un e-bike look about it, and many people don't even notice that it is one, so no unwanted attention drawn.

Perhaps over time my opinion will change, but for now, hub drive is my favourite method of power, and the BH always makes me smile with every ride. :)

Other than changing to DMR or similar flat pedals, the mods are now all but done on the NEO Xtrem.
  • Deore 38/24t chainset
  • Deore Hollowtech 2 bottom bracket
  • Deore 10 speed rear derailleur
  • Deore 10 speed front derailleur
  • Shimano HG62 10 speed cassette 11-36
  • Deore 10 speed shifters
  • Sram PC1031 10 speed chain
  • A2Z 180mm disc rotor
  • Tecktro 180mm caliper adapter
  • Extended Tecktro brake hose
  • Lizzard Skins grips
  • Rockshox Reba front forks with pop lock (lock soon to be removed)
  • Crankbrothers wider handlebars
  • Cane Creek Thudbuster
  • FSA headset
  • Pannarace Fire XC Pro tyres
  • Topeak Mountain Morph pump
  • Fenix BT20 front light
  • Topeak Defender front mudguard (crap)
  • Home made rear mudguard
  • Slime inner tubes (sadly added extra weight)
This bike is now just amazing to ride (as far as hardtails go) and feels absolutely nothing like the original factory supplied lardy heavy slow steering bike.
The first major difference is weight. The forks alone are well in excess of 1kg lighter and I've yet to weigh the various other components, but the overall package is now one very light bike.
The original front end had some kind of gravity magnet attached to it, whereas now, it's almost hard to keep the front end down. From bad experience, one overly zealous push down on the pedals is enough to loop the bike.
The Pannarace Fire XC Pro tyres offer a hell of a lot of confidence inspiring grip, and their ability to climb out of ruts is superb. They also oddly seem very good on the road.
Changing from a triple chainset to a double has obviously lost on road speed, but this bike isn't about road. I wanted a good mix of ratio's for when I'm trying to get the most of the bike off road, and I think that this is now about right. The gear changes are now also super slick and precise, which is something that the original Alivio equipment never was. It was a constant battle to keep it set up properly.
The Wiggle ride on the South Downs also showed a massive weakness in the braking department, so hopefully this will now be partially cured with the switch to a 180mm rotor. I've yet to try this out in anger, but first impressions are very good.
Another amazingly impressive and instantly noticeable mod, is the Cane Creek Thudbuster. The bike feels as though you have just perched yourself on your favourite old armchair. The hardtail sting has definitely gone.
The Topeak front mudguard is okay for cycle paths, but show it anything hard and the vibration from bumps, just cracks the mountings. I'm on my second and there won't be a third.
It's a shame about the mudguard as the Topeak mountain Morph pump is brilliant. Having said that, I quite like Topeak products as a whole.
The Fenix BT20 front light was a product that made me bulk at the cost, but this has proved to be an amazing front light for off road use, and has in reality been worth the money.

A decent spec full suspension bike is definitely on the cards, but even with all of the component/reliability issues that I have had with this bike, I won't be selling it as it still makes me grin from ear to ear with every ride. I also understand that BH are in the process of upping their game in relation their previously poor customer support. Obviously this is something that I'd have to see or hear first hand about to believe, but I hope that they do.
If any one reading this is intending to or was intending to purchase a NEO Xtrem, the mods that I have carried out aren't essential to the product, I simply wanted more from the bike.

P1150214r.jpg P1150219r.jpg P1150216r.jpg P1150215r.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome Eddie! I love how far you've taken this bike... not just the modifications but also the riding you've put it through, including the Wiggle race. It's inspiring and makes me wish I could try the bike! I bet folks from BH will see this and maybe use some of your improvements in their future versions. Sure, there is always cost to consider, but it's great to see exactly what someone would do if they could choose all of the parts themselves. Awesome :D

I also understand that BH are in the process of upping their game in relation their previously poor customer support. Obviously this is something that I'd have to see or hear first hand about to believe, but I hope that they do.

I spoke way too soon, and I'm currently sitting here well and truly fed up with BH.

True to form both BH UK and BH Spain are up to their usual worse than poor performance and tricks.

5 weeks on after my warranty claim was lodged for a new battery, I'm still waiting and being fed lies.

I've now had enough and have now taken this to the top of the BH tree. Search engines are a handy thing.

Being blunt, anyone in the UK who is thinking of buying a BH product, don't as you won't stand a hope in hell of ever getting a warranty claim resolved.

The UK needs 'yet another' change of BH importer, and Spain need to get their act together. Between the two of them, they are currently spoiling a superb product.

Last edited:
I spoke way too soon, and I'm currently sitting here well and truly fed up with BH.

True to form both BH UK and BH Spain are up to their usual worse than poor performance and tricks.

5 weeks on after my warranty claim was lodged for a new battery, I'm still waiting and being fed lies.

I've now had enough and have now taken this to the top of the BH tree. Search engines are a handy thing.

Being blunt, anyone in the UK who is thinking of buying a BH product, don't as you won't stand a hope in hell of ever getting a warranty claim resolved.

The UK needs 'yet another' change of BH importer, and Spain need to get their act together. Between the two of them, they are currently spoiling a superb product.

Eddie,

You know the product well and you can become a distributor and change the face of BH in UK. :)
No, I am serious.
It will be good to have few dependable sources like you, Martin Brown etc.

Sorry to be off topic, but this made me smile from the above link.

"John worked at a job for a grand total of 8 months in his entire life. After that, he concluded that “Working Sucks!” and he never did it again."

Why didn't I have the sense to think like that, instead of wearing my body out over the years. Good luck to you John, and I hope that you have somehow managed to inspire others along the way. :)
Within sensible reason, I believe that to a degree, that we make our own luck in life, but seeing an opportunity and acting upon it are two very different things. :)
Well, last week, I test rode an Optibike R8 and ended up having a 3 hour discussion with the owner of that shop.

He was telling me the story of his friend Do DiCostanzo https://www.linkedin.com/in/don-dicostanzo-17b38812/. It is indeed fascinating to hear how people get into business...

That's the worst Eddie! Listen to Rav and take over the biz!
I'm not sure going into business with people who frustrate you is the path to happiness... At some point walking away is the best choice and I'm sorry to hear that after all of your evangelism and support of the Neo Xtrem BH is not supporting you back @EddieJ I've also tried to help get you batteries and console help but BH North America hasn't been able to move them :(

Thanks Court, I know that you did what you could for me, and I really appreciate it. :)

I can honestly say that even if finance allowed, I wouldn't take on a BH franchise. I'm afraid that for me all belief in the product has now gone, and in truth after a conversation that I had today with the UK manager, I'm now at the point of probably getting rid of the bike. It just isn't worth the hassle of owning it.

The bike was destined to be returned to Spain for repair, but BH UK collected it for repair at their own centre, and all being well and good, it should be back with me again tomorrow. A nice quick turnaround, but I do still feel that this is only due to the exceptional circumstances that I had to resort to, to get things resolved. I'm now just wondering what will break next, and how will it be dealt with if and when it happens.

Sadly I'd get next to nothing for the bike re sale wise, so I'll just have to wait and see what direction that I take, but my enthusiasm for it is pretty low.

That's lame Eddie. Hopefully you get a kickass deal on that new Katoom and you can leave your ebike worries behind you!!

Well I now have the bike back again and to be honest, I just took it out of the van, put it straight into the shed without even wanting to look at it.

My interest in both BH as a company and the bike has now well and truly gone. I don't even think that I can be bothered to ride it anymore. :(

I just hope that you guy's in the US receive better service than I have received over the last year.

Working things out, I have only probably had seven months of use from this bike over my twelve month owner ship period. I don't ever plan to own another BH product.

Last edited:
Back