Need suggestions for tire replacement

Grey Max

I have finally worn down the tires on my XP and so l am starting my search for replacement tires. Can anyone suggest a good source where I can find some, other than direct from Lectric?

Also, should I be replacing the tubes at the same time? I put Slime in them last year but I’ve heard that this only is good for 2 years.

Bob

These Vee Tire 'Speedsters' w/ whitewall are currently the most sought-after. They're a little pricey @$69. Gives to that ol' adage 'get what you pay for'. There are others like Kenda Kraze currently in stock at Rad Power Bikes. The Kenda is 20 x 4.25 wide & @$39, the cheepest 'good' 20x4 I've found (price matches Lectric's tire, but, the Kenda is a name brand tire).

I would think the slimed tubes are fine & need no replacement.

Last edited:
These Vee Tire 'Speedsters' w/ whitewall are currently the most sought-after. They're a little pricey @$69. Gives to that ol' adage 'get what you pay for'. There are others like Kenda Kraze currently in stock at Rad Power Bikes. The Kenda is 20 x 4.25 wide & @$39, the cheepest 'good' 20x4 I've found (price matches Lectric's tire, but, the Kenda is a name brand tire).

I have the Kenda Kraze from Rad on my xp they work way better on hard surfaces and loose packed dirt trails with a better ride, grip, plus less resistance and noise they fill up to 35 psi too I'm at the beach in Florida and they do ok in the moist firm sand but not as good as the knobbie CST from Lectric.

"cheapest" is a word not good for ebike tires.

Pay attention only to ECE-R75 tires. If you don't know what that is, make sure you do know what it is. I believe Kenda calls theirs EMC.

It's a tire that is surely "more" than a bicycle tire, and almost at par with a road legal motorcycle.

I don't waste time with "slime". Think, why isn't slime used for automobiles (unless dumb folks squeeze it into their cars deliberately).

I have finally worn down the tires on my XP and so l am starting my search for replacement tires. Can anyone suggest a good source where I can find some, other than direct from Lectric?

Also, should I be replacing the tubes at the same time? I put Slime in them last year but I’ve heard that this only is good for 2 years.

Pay attention only to ECE-R75 tires. If you don't know what that is, make sure you do know what it is. I believe Kenda calls theirs EMC.

It's a tire that is surely "more" than a bicycle tire, and almost at par with a road legal motorcycle.

I don't waste time with "slime". Think, why isn't slime used for automobiles (unless dumb folks squeeze it into their cars deliberately).
I'm pretty sure at 28mph that 8oz of slime in the tire is not an issue. But to fill enough in the much larger car tire to be effective guessing 32oz at 70mph is likely why it's not recommended for cars.

Wouldn’t I need to replace the tube if I went for the wider Kraze tire?

I have the Kenda Kraze from Rad on my xp they work way better on hard surfaces and loose packed dirt trails with a better ride, grip, plus less resistance and noise they fill up to 35 psi too I'm at the beach in Florida and they do ok in the moist firm sand but not as good as the knobbie CST from Lectric.
I do a lot of riding on dirt and gravel. Do these tires perform as well as the knobbies in these conditions?

I do a lot of riding on dirt and gravel. Do these tires perform as well as the knobbies in these conditions?
Hey, that's a good question. I've had Kenda 2.85's (they were aggressive) that did extremely well in dirt & gravel. I may rethink this vee tire thing! Kenda Kraze is looking might good, lol.

I'd rather waste the time it takes to put some slime in my tubes than the time it takes to either repair a flat on the trail or walk home. There's plenty of posts on this forum testifying to the fact the stuff works.

This video shows a 16 inch motorcycle tire fitted to the XP 2.0. I like the idea, but don't know much about it. He did a follow up.

Bumpin this thread for more ideas for replacement tires for original Lectric XP. (4x20) Mostly ridden on street and bikepaths...

I like my Kenda Kraze that used to be available from Rad Ebikes. They're super quiet on the road and have lasted a long time. They're narrow 3.25 but still fit on the stock Lectric XP rims. I couldn't find any on a quick google search but maybe dig a little deeper for them. The Kenda K-Rad is currently out of stock at Rad but they have a notify when in stock link. They're 3.3 wide so would fit the stock rims still and are a gravel type tread pattern that should be good on asphalt and dirt trails. I can't confirm but rumor has it that Rad was able to get Kenda to produce the tire with better durability exclusive to Rad hence the "K-Rad" designation. Most of the 20x4 tires out there have knobbies and are noisy on asphalt, they tend to wear faster too so unless you do a lot of sand and dirt I suggest a less aggressive tread pattern if you can find them.

This video shows a 16 inch motorcycle tire fitted to the XP 2.0. I like the idea, but don't know much about it. He did a follow up.

wow great tire idea i'm gunna do this asap i live in minnesota and need to stud my tires.NOW i can stud my tires thanks to you.I noticed you sinch strap idea to hold fender up.what you can do is move the mounting tab up higher (closer to the rear rack) which will make the fender sit higher on the tire.all you will have to do is driil 2 holes in fender higher up than the stock position and wala you can re assemble the stock fender bracket.

Hi all,
I recently stumbled across an ad/YouTube video for the new 2023 XP Xpedtion cargo ebike. I was completely blown away by this awesome product. I feel that XP has an absolute WINNER on their hands. That being the case, I decided to cruise over to this XP forum to see what's up. I just want to interject my own experiences/thoughts on the subject of this XP “tire” thread.

I own 6 ebikes, one of which is an 2021 ArielRider X52 beast. It, too uses fat 20” tires. Its motorcycle tire “information” is explained in this EBR link of mine:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/7-x52-at-day-365-and-mileage-7-657.50475/

I go on a 50-mile ebike ride on nearly a daily basis (at age 72, I am retired). I have 6 ebikes, 3 of which are deemed “worthy”. When I go on a ride, I don't want any distractions (mechanical/electrical/flat tires). To that end, I have been VERY successful in how I deal with the aforementioned potential maladies. I haven't carried any flat tire repair items since Sept of 2018. I'm sure that each of you viewers possess the same exact mindset (no flats). Thus, the reason for this “tire” reply.

As of Feb. 22,2023, my ArielRider X52 has 11,348 miles on the odometer. Every one of those miles has been while rolling on the SHINKO 244 (to mileage 7,657) and then (currently) on SHINKO 241 motorcycle tires. These tires cost around $50 each delivered. They will easily attain 10,000 miles before needing replacement. That is a true godsend when having to deal with that pesky rear wheel/rear tire/rear motor hub removal/installation fiasco. The 244's are kind of noisy. The 241's (my hands-down favorite) are absolutely QUIET. Unbelievable for such a gnarly looking tread pattern.

Instead of rambling on about my already posted link, I just want to say that the 2023 Xpedition (especially the dual battery option @$1,700) is the ultimate consumer ebike toy. From now on, whenever I get questioned by strangers about my ebikes/ebikes in general, my go-to recommendation will be the Xpedtion. You just can't go wrong with this does-it-all cargo ebike toy.

With its tremendous carrying (weight) capability, dual battery option, and 750watt motor, the Xpedtion and the SHINKO motorcycle tires/tubes/slime are a true match-up. Remember that these SHINKO tires are designed to handle a 400 pound MOTORCYCLE and a rider/passenger combo that can easily reach another 400 pounds. A 90 pound Xpedtion ebike, and its weight carrying capability, will be a like a bunny fart. That also applies for the other XP 20” tire ebikes. Eazy-breezy.

The Xpedition lacks only a front suspension fork. However, that is not intended to be a deal breaker. A fork can be purchased/installed for around $200-- if you even decide to opt for that accessory after buying/riding the Xpedition. I occasionally “lockout” my front suspension fork (all of my ebikes use one) just for the heck of it.

However, in keeping with this XP thread, your tire choice for any XP ebike should definitely be the SHINKO motorcycle tires and motorcycle inner tubes as addressed in the aforementioned EBR link. Sure, your “mileage” will be about 10% less, but your peace of mind will be priceless. Plus, if you should decide that you need more miles per ride, buy an additional battery.

Hi all,
I recently stumbled across an ad/YouTube video for the new 2023 XP Xpedtion cargo ebike. I was completely blown away by this awesome product. I feel that XP has an absolute WINNER on their hands. That being the case, I decided to cruise over to this XP forum to see what's up. I just want to interject my own experiences/thoughts on the subject of this XP “tire” thread.

I own 6 ebikes, one of which is an 2021 ArielRider X52 beast. It, too uses fat 20” tires. Its motorcycle tire “information” is explained in this EBR link of mine:
https://electricbikereview.com/forums/threads/7-x52-at-day-365-and-mileage-7-657.50475/

I go on a 50-mile ebike ride on nearly a daily basis (at age 72, I am retired). I have 6 ebikes, 3 of which are deemed “worthy”. When I go on a ride, I don't want any distractions (mechanical/electrical/flat tires). To that end, I have been VERY successful in how I deal with the aforementioned potential maladies. I haven't carried any flat tire repair items since Sept of 2018. I'm sure that each of you viewers possess the same exact mindset (no flats). Thus, the reason for this “tire” reply.

As of Feb. 22,2023, my ArielRider X52 has 11,348 miles on the odometer. Every one of those miles has been while rolling on the SHINKO 244 (to mileage 7,657) and then (currently) on SHINKO 241 motorcycle tires. These tires cost around $50 each delivered. They will easily attain 10,000 miles before needing replacement. That is a true godsend when having to deal with that pesky rear wheel/rear tire/rear motor hub removal/installation fiasco. The 244's are kind of noisy. The 241's (my hands-down favorite) are absolutely QUIET. Unbelievable for such a gnarly looking tread pattern.

Instead of rambling on about my already posted link, I just want to say that the 2023 Xpedition (especially the dual battery option @$1,700) is the ultimate consumer ebike toy. From now on, whenever I get questioned by strangers about my ebikes/ebikes in general, my go-to recommendation will be the Xpedtion. You just can't go wrong with this does-it-all cargo ebike toy.

With its tremendous carrying (weight) capability, dual battery option, and 750watt motor, the Xpedtion and the SHINKO motorcycle tires/tubes/slime are a true match-up. Remember that these SHINKO tires are designed to handle a 400 pound MOTORCYCLE and a rider/passenger combo that can easily reach another 400 pounds. A 90 pound Xpedtion ebike, and its weight carrying capability, will be a like a bunny fart. That also applies for the other XP 20” tire ebikes. Eazy-breezy.

The Xpedition lacks only a front suspension fork. However, that is not intended to be a deal breaker. A fork can be purchased/installed for around $200-- if you even decide to opt for that accessory after buying/riding the Xpedition. I occasionally “lockout” my front suspension fork (all of my ebikes use one) just for the heck of it.

However, in keeping with this XP thread, your tire choice for any XP ebike should definitely be the SHINKO motorcycle tires and motorcycle inner tubes as addressed in the aforementioned EBR link. Sure, your “mileage” will be about 10% less, but your peace of mind will be priceless. Plus, if you should decide that you need more miles per ride, buy an additional battery.
Are they available in 4x20 for my Lectric XP original from 2020?

Are they available in 4x20 for my Lectric XP original from 2020?
The Shinko's should fit without any problem. You might peruse YouTube to see what others are saying/doing, too.
Just remember: size 16"x3" for the tires and 16"x2.75-3.0 for the inner tubes.
Maybe a fellow EBR viewer can give you a definite verification in regards to your specific ebike.
The SHINKO's will be $$$ well spent.

Back