need suggestions for ebike for Vermont hills

little bee

I live in Vermont - every way to bike is up or down steep hills. I'm looking for a high quality e-bike for road use, touring, and commuting around town. It needs to go on paved and dirt roads but not rough off-road terrain. I would like the bike to be comfortable; I'm not a racer so no need for the position to be way over the front of the bike. I'd like to transport the bike to ride other places (so will need a hitch and bike rack for a Prius if there are suggestions for that as well) - so I'm thinking the bike shouldn't be too heavy. I'd like good range for touring. I'd like the battery concealed. I rarely change my gears on a 10 speed so would prefer no gears or few gears. I would like a step through. I'm imagining I will need to pay 2,500-3,500 for what I'm hoping for. VW is buying back my TDI so will have some unexpected cash.

I would love to hear from anyone with suggestions of ebikes. I will start looking tomorrow in the Boston and NH area.

Thanks!!

I live in Vermont - every way to bike is up or down steep hills. I'm looking for a high quality e-bike for road use, touring, and commuting around town. It needs to go on paved and dirt roads but not rough off-road terrain. I would like the bike to be comfortable; I'm not a racer so no need for the position to be way over the front of the bike. I'd like to transport the bike to ride other places (so will need a hitch and bike rack for a Prius if there are suggestions for that as well) - so I'm thinking the bike shouldn't be too heavy. I'd like good range for touring. I'd like the battery concealed. I rarely change my gears on a 10 speed so would prefer no gears or few gears. I would like a step through. I'm imagining I will need to pay 2,500-3,500 for what I'm hoping for. VW is buying back my TDI so will have some unexpected cash.

I would love to hear from anyone with suggestions of ebikes. I will start looking tomorrow in the Boston and NH area.

Thanks!!

First, here are two sites you should visit
https://electricbikereview.com/
and
http://propelbikes.com/shop/

I live in Colorado, and we have some good sized hills. I bought my wife the Bulls Lacuba EVo8 with the wave frame and I got the men's frame
They are rugged bikes, the tires are best suited for hard surfaces.
Almost every eBike weighs over 40 lbs, but there are car carriers that hold the bike from the bottom, rather that from the top frame.
Get disc brakes and front shock...that immediately filters out cheaper designs and it well worth it

Hope this helps
Art

Thanks Art - good to hear from you!

I tried out a few bikes yesterday -- the Bulls Lacuba EVO E8 (is this the bike your wife has?), a Stromer platinum, and a Raleigh Redux. I'm curious what you think about the belt drive as opposed to the chain? and how does the Bulls Lacuba fare on the hills in Colorado? The shops only let us ride around in a flat parking lot. Did you try Stromers? Were there any other bikes that you felt were contenders?

Thanks Art - good to hear from you!

I tried out a few bikes yesterday -- the Bulls Lacuba EVO E8 (is this the bike your wife has?), a Stromer platinum, and a Raleigh Redux. I'm curious what you think about the belt drive as opposed to the chain? and how does the Bulls Lacuba fare on the hills in Colorado? The shops only let us ride around in a flat parking lot. Did you try Stromers? Were there any other bikes that you felt were contenders?
Stromers were nice
I like the Gates belt drive no maintenace and no derailer
Our Bulls climb hills at 15+ mph
They are up to the task
If you spend some time reading about these motors its about dc voltage and torque, so thebest hill climbers are the mountain ebikes
we werent going to be going crazy on mountain trails so I stayed with a more hybrid style
You should be able to rent an ebike for a day and give it a real test

Thanks!!

Check out Surface 604, the Boar or the Rook!

Stromers were nice
I like the Gates belt drive no maintenace and no derailer
Our Bulls climb hills at 15+ mph
They are up to the task
If you spend some time reading about these motors its about dc voltage and torque, so thebest hill climbers are the mountain ebikes
we werent going to be going crazy on mountain trails so I stayed with a more hybrid style
You should be able to rent an ebike for a day and give it a real test
Hi Art, I think the Bulls Lacuba is my favorite so far. thanks for sharing your experience.

Back