Need resources for getting replacement parts and instructions for a BAFANG MM G330.250 (a hub motor)

ShumaBike

Hey all,

The mid drive motor on my Voltbike Enduro seems to have gone bad. The shop I took it too seems to believe that it's the freewheel in the mid drive. I've had no luck getting support from Voltbike and Bafang itself doesn't have an English help line. It has a line that is supposed to be one, but it is not in English, so that's a dead end for me.

Hopefully someone here knows how/where to get replacement parts and instructions on how to install them. I live in the Northeast (Boston) and my local resources for repairing electric bicycles is kinda slim.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I am confused by your post…My enduro is a mid drive Bafang are you really sure it is the hub freewheel?? Sounds like a cheap fix with nothing to do with the motor.

The mechanism that connects the pedals to the motor degraded over the period of a year and now turning the pedals rarely engages the motor. We believe it's the freewhell/clutch because of the behavior the bike showed in that time period. The issue is definitively inside the motor itself, the fix could be cheap but I can't seem to get the part.

The mechanism that connects the pedals to the motor degraded over the period of a year and now turning the pedals rarely engages the motor. We believe it's the freewhell/clutch because of the behavior the bike showed in that time period. The issue is definitively inside the motor itself, the fix could be cheap but I can't seem to get the part.

Lunacycles stocks Bafang parts.... https://lunacycle.com/bbs02-parts/ I would contact them and let them know exactly what the problem is

Hey all,

The hub motor on my Voltbike Enduro seems to have gone bad. The shop I took it too seems to believe that it's the freewheel in the hub. I've had no luck getting support from Voltbike and Bafang itself doesn't have an English help line. It has a line that is supposed to be one, but it is not in English, so that's a dead end for me.

Hopefully someone here knows how/where to get replacement parts and instructions on how to install them. I live in the Northeast (Boston) and my local resources for repairing electric bicycles is kinda slim.

Thanks for any help!

According to the spec, the Voltbike Enduro is a mid drive, not a rear hub drive. If the local shop says the free wheel broke, I would trust it. The spec says it uses a CS-HG31-8 Cassette.

The free wheel mechanism at the free hub may be broken. It is a regular bicycle part (non electric bike part). The local shop can handle it. However, the mid drive motor makes the free hub more prone to failure due to the added load to the whole drive train (chain ring, chain, cassette, free wheel mechanism).

People here would be able to help you better if you show us the pictures of the hub, bottom bracket and parts if you already opened it up.

Last edited:
According to the spec, the Voltbike Enduro is a mid drive, not a rear hub drive. If the local shop says the free wheel broke, I would trust it. The spec says it uses a CS-HG31-8 Cassette.

The free wheel mechanism at the free hub may be broken. It is a regular bicycle part (non electric bike part). The local shop can take handle it. However, the mid drive motor makes the free hub more prone to failure due to the added load to the whole drive train (chian ring, chain, cassette, free wheel mechanism).

People here would be able to help you better if you show us the pictures of the hub, bottom bracket and parts if you already opened it up.

I updated my post, you're right its the mid drive not the hub. My mistake.

The shop wasn't willing to open up the motor unless it knew it could source parts or expertise so it would know what to do. I don't have the skill to do it myself. We were mostly making assumptions based on the behavior of the bike. At first it would turn the pedals forcefully as if the freewheel couldn't immediately let go of the pedals when I stopped moving them with legpower and eventually (maybe six months later after continuing to degrade) it just stopped noticing i was pedaling at all and would never catch them or engage the motor, letting me spin them freely without any resistance.

I updated my post, you're right its the mid drive not the hub. My mistake.

The shop wasn't willing to open up the motor unless it knew it could source parts or expertise so it would know what to do. I don't have the skill to do it myself. We were mostly making assumptions based on the behavior of the bike. At first it would turn the pedals forcefully as if the freewheel couldn't immediately let go of the pedals when I stopped moving them with legpower and eventually (maybe six months later after continuing to degrade) it just stopped noticing i was pedaling at all and would never catch them or engage the motor, letting me spin them freely without any resistance.

When you are spinning without resistance, is the chain ring spinning along with the pedals or is the chain ring not moving with the pedals?

It's very important to know it since it will tell you which free wheel clutch is broke (at the crank or at the gear cluster).

When you are spinning without resistance, is the chain ring spinning along with the pedals or is the chain ring not moving with the pedals?

It's very important to know it since it will tell you which free wheel clutch is broke (at the crank or at the gear cluster).
The chain is not moving. Not sure about the chain ring, but I have to assume it's not either since then the chain would be moving. The pedals are seemingly connected to nothing, they spin with no resistance. I can not actually use the bike as a bike currently. It will sometimes catch, but only after a LOT of useless spinning and it will let it go when/if the motor disengages.

The chain is not moving. Not sure about the chain ring, but I have to assume it's not either since then the chain would be moving. The pedals are seemingly connected to nothing, they spin with no resistance. I can not actually use the bike as a bike currently. It will sometimes catch, but only after a LOT of useless spinning and it will let it go when/if the motor disengages.

The freewheel clutch of the crank is stuck. It may be gunked up and needs cleaning. The manufacturer should provide technical support or at least direct you to a qualified shop.

There are youtube videos on BBSHD and BBSO2 on fixing it but you have a max drive and most likely it has different parts. I would suspect, just cleaning the sprags with WD40 will unstick those fingers.

https://www.ruclip.me/video/S1E45DcEE8w/bbshd-clutch-replacement-instructions/

The freewheel clutch of the crank is stuck. It may be gunked up and needs cleaning. The manufacturer should provide technical support or at least direct you to a qualified shop.

There are youtube videos on BBSHD and BBSO2 on fixing it but you have a max drive and most likely it has different parts. I would suspect, just cleaning the sprags with WD40 will unstick those fingers.

Unfortunately the bike seller (Voltbike) has gone dark on everyone and may be dead and BAFANG itself has responded to none of my emails. So you think that this may not actually be a broken part? I am, at this point, just calling other bike sellers using the max drive in their models to see if they can source replacement parts. I'm getting to the bottom of this barrel.

Found this through a little Google work, maybe it will help?

Pedals "Break" loose

This was the first BBSHD failure we saw and it has happened on 2 drives so far.

Symptoms:
This usually happens with hard pedaling the customer feels a breaking and then suddenly the customer can no longer pedal the BBSHD although the power function still works fine. The pedals just spin loosely without contributing any power.

Culprit
This is the clutch breaking.

Solution
Luna Cycles now stocks the clutch and the part is easily replaced without the drive coming off the bike. Estimated time for repair is less than 30 minutes.

That part is approached differently depending on what model you have. The BBSHD is simpler to access, the BBS02 is more difficult. And I have no idea how the max drive is assembled.

Below is the BBS02 at 3:40 of the video.

Do you think it would use the same clutch part? The clutch from the BBS02 is easy to purchase, and parts sourcing is my big issue right now.

Do you think it would use the same clutch part? The clutch from the BBS02 is easy to purchase, and parts sourcing is my big issue right now.

Not likely since the BBSHD and BBS02 have different clutches. The big question is how are you gonna access it to see it if it is just the clutch.

Last edited:
Not likely since the BBSHD and BBS02 are different. The big question is how are you gonna access it to see it if it is just the clutch.

I guess I would just have the shop open it up and look (and pray they didn't break it). That part is doable, my ability to source a replacement clutch is as of yet non-existent. I'm currently hoping that any place that can source parts can also source knowledge.

Back