Need opinion and advice (Newgen Bike)

My new place. Lol
IMG_20200915_163152.jpg

Hello Guys,

I have been looking at this bike: https://www.newgenbikes.com/product-page/the-345
and I was wondering if you could help me with your experience and give me advice an though about the specification of the bike.

I am desperetly looking for advice considering that this is a young company and product and that there is not a lot of review available online.
I was looking for a stylish city ride kind of ebike that I can use to go on ride around london over the weekend.
I was looking for bikes such as Super73 products https://eu.super73.com/collections/all-products

What I like about the bike is that the sit is much higher compared to other products in the same range. the battery look alright for what I want to do with it and it is a stylish product like the one I was lookking at.

Thanks
Simon
Not nearly enuff bike for the price. support questionable. keep looking

So

Sorry OmNomNom, I forgot to say... the bikes are advertised as "designed in London". Make of that what you will. They've probably got generic stuff like the Kenda tyres, etc. Made in China. WHat I have got reservations about is the hub. But we shall see! British Leyland and Norton motor cycles managed to ruin themselves. I'm sticking a bit of faith behind Newgen. Let's wait and see!!!!
Since you mentioned it, this bike cost me $1200 US, 500w, 48v, realistic 40 mi range, & will climb a tree. German motor, japanese &
chinese components, can be unlocked from kph to mph. German company, was planned for sale in Russia. top spd under power
24 mph. Another $300 will get you hydraulic brakes, wider gear range, & some better components. I have the 29er, (700c).The fat tyre
version is called the Aspen, same price. Love this thing, Quite a lot of bike for the price.
ncm-moscow-1200x800-c-default.jpg

Last edited:
Obviously you got the tyres from the UK? Can I ask how much and have you noticed much difference between them and the stock tyres?
They were £55 for the pair, search ‘compass tyres’ on eBay.

not had much opportunity to ride the bike since putting the tyres on, but when testing brakes today, on tarmac they were humming like a Land Rover on a hot road. They did seem more grippy. I’m hoping to get out more tomorrow

not had much opportunity to ride the bike since putting the tyres on, but when testing brakes today, on tarmac they were humming like a Land Rover on a hot road. They did seem more grippy. I’m hoping to get out more tomorrow
Naw, I just wrote the English spelling to be patronizing, I think schwalbe tires should be cheaper in Britain? Bought some for a regular
bike a while ago from there that were quite reasonable. L55 seems a fair price for decent tires. Yes different strokes. My riding style
is more rural.

Naw, I just wrote the English spelling to be patronizing, I think schwalbe tires should be cheaper in Britain? Bought some for a regular
bike a while ago from there that were quite reasonable. L55 seems a fair price for decent tires. Yes different strokes. My riding style
is more rural.
Ah. Fat tyres in the uk are a bit like rocking horse poo, rare as anything. Probably also not aware that 250w is the maximum allowed in the uk under European law if you want to be street legal. The power is actually plenty enough for our meandering country lanes and wet weather

I don´t doubt 250w is adequate for most, but I´m #240, 6´3´& live in some pretty steep topography. Being 71 with
multiple traumatic leg injuries doesn´t help. Climate here much the same; I live in a temperate rain forest. Mine is
a cheap bike, but rugged.

I don´t doubt 250w is adequate for most, but I´m #240, 6´3´& live in some pretty steep topography. Being 71 with
multiple traumatic leg injuries doesn´t help. Climate here much the same; I live in a temperate rain forest. Mine is
a cheap bike, but rugged.

The Newgen 345 does me mate. It might not meet the almighty range you have, but it's an ebike after all. In the UK it does me fine. As it seems to do everybody else who owns one. We don't tend to climb trees on them. 😉

The Newgen 345 does me mate. It might not meet the almighty range you have, but it's an ebike after all. In the UK it does me fine. As it seems to do everybody else who owns one. We don't tend to climb trees on them. 😉
Look, You have to realize the US is not remotely as civilized as Great Britain & putin has saddled us with an amoral imbecile bent on
alienating the whole world if not destroying it. Making a quick getaway is as important as a mask.😳

Range isn´t almighty, but bear in mind there are 11 US states greater in area than Britain. Destinations tend to be a bit distant. I´d love
to see a cycling infrastructure like the Netherlands, but It´s small & not especially mountainous. Challenges here are somewhat
more daunting. You can still be 100 miles from the next anything in the US.

So, out today on the knobbys. Distinctly slower than inflated slicks, probably by some 2 - 3 mph. But, much better grip / traction. Also a softer ride given the lower pressure on the tyres..

not sure of I’ll ever get the brake and gear set up back to normal though, some grinding on the rear disc at speed and gears aren’t sitting in like they used to. More adjustments required!

So, out today on the knobbys. Distinctly slower than inflated slicks, probably by some 2 - 3 mph. But, much better grip / traction. Also a softer ride given the lower pressure on the tyres..

not sure of I’ll ever get the brake and gear set up back to normal though, some grinding on the rear disc at speed and gears aren’t sitting in like they used to. More adjustments required!
Gear set up sorted. The miracle of you tube.

I thinking the metallic noise was the chain on the hub. Has since gone away after sorting gears out...

front disc catching though. Think I might re-seat the wheel

New hub motors are frequently a little noisy until broken in a bit. no worry. Front disc adjust pretty straight forward. loosen the 2
adjustment screws a bit, & spin wheel while maneuvering brake until there´s no drag on the disc & tighten. The screws
are top & bottom parallel to the wheel. FYI Do not squeeze brake lever if wheel is removed for some reason. brakes self-
adjust & you may be unable to reseat disc without having to readjust it.

Thanks John. I’m new to ebikes and tektro brakes, so all tips and time spent by you is much appreciated...

i think I have a high spot on the front disc, it’s been rubbing a bit since day one but the tyre change and wheel drop back in have made it noisier at speed (25kph lol). Do you think I should let it bed in? Or would you consider a disc swap?

Thanks John. I’m new to ebikes and tektro brakes, so all tips and time spent by you is much appreciated...

i think I have a high spot on the front disc, it’s been rubbing a bit since day one but the tyre change and wheel drop back in have made it noisier at speed (25kph lol). Do you think I should let it bed in? Or would you consider a disc swap?
Adjusting is about all I can think of? if the brake is mechanical & not hydraulic you might slack the cable a bit at the barrel adjust on
the lever. I had a similar issue with a slightly awry disc. (pause) Just checked the hydraulics on the carcass of my old commuter.
It too has a barrel adjust on the lever that I never needed. Hydraulics definitely require less attention. much better choice especially
for the novice. If the disc is too bad you might have to replace it, which requires a special screwdriver bit & those tiny screws are
very easy to lose. If adjustment doesn´t solve the issue, you just might want to see a professional.
P.S. discs are directional just like tyres, easy to mount one backward if you´re not paying attention.

Last edited:
Back