Need help sourcing a Full Suspension Fat Bike frame (only).

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
I have a steel framed fat bike, 4.5" tires, Luna BBSHD, with a Hailong battery on the exterior of the downtube (see pics further down the thread). I want to replace the frame with a full suspension frame. Been searching with some difficulty. Most manufacturers are lacking dimensional specs and the support by email is rather unhelpful.

Specs for needed frame:
Fat Bike
Aluminum
Rear dropout 175-190mm
Rear suspension
Must be able to fit a 48V Hailong style battery on the downtube. Bottle boss placement is not important.

Any help in sourcing is apprecaited

Last edited:
More info about this build needed Tom. What size tires, and what you plan on using for power come to mind.

From an expense stand point, would agree with @Rome too, regarding buying a complete bike. Something that's as close as you can get to what you're thinking, then modify as necessary to get exactly what you are thinking of.

Its really hard to find frame sets for fatties. I love my Ecotric beach/ snow however the frame it too large. I have looked for non suspended, reasonably priced options so I can simply swap out. I have to agree,it might be better to simply purchase a new bike. I have considered a Dolomite Fattie but I think my current frame is better.

I have been on this exact frame search, off and on, for years. The best I have been able to find is an older alloy Salsa Bucksaw. Challenges are finding one of them on the market in a size that fits (in the first place). They are not particularly common.

And even that frame is a tight fit as far as battery goes. I know it will fit a Luna Wolf pack - which has a lower 'nose' than pretty much any Hailong. So we're talking 11-13ah tops.

Beyond that, I don't think there is anything that meets your specs. FYI my planned motor was a BBSHD or a Cyc.

I can't contribute on your search for a FS frame. Perhaps buying a complete fat tyres ebike is my recommendation and personalise it to your wants and needs anyhow you want it.
By the way, Washington DC was on my big screen. You guys got cherry blossoms trees from Japan? 3000 trees? That's plenty!!!!!!!!!
Oh, yeah, I'm going to hit the Cherry Tree blossoms in April. They bloom all along the Jefferson Memorial tidal basin and Haines point. I love riding my Fat Bike down along the monuments in DC

IMG_3596.jpg

IMG_3600.jpg

IMG_3592.jpg

Last edited:
More info about this build needed Tom. What size tires, and what you plan on using for power come to mind.

From an expense stand point, would agree with @Rome too, regarding buying a complete bike. Something that's as close as you can get to what you're thinking, then modify as necessary to get exactly what you are thinking of.
Sorry about the scant info. See the pics I posted in the thread. I currently have a BBSHD, steel framed fat bike with 4.5" tires, but going back to 4" tires on my next iteration. I want to transfer my components from the steel frame hard tail to a full suspension.

Sorry about the scant info. See the pics I posted in the thread. I currently have a BBSHD, steel framed fat bike with 4.5" tires, but going back to 4" tires on my next iteration. I want to transfer my components from the steel frame hard tail to a full suspension.
Now yer talkin. That makes sense, would work great if you want to try out an FS on the cheap! Will you be going with a little narrower rims, or just putting smaller tires on what you have?

what is an "FS"?

I am thinking about going with 2.8" - 3.0' tires. My BBSHD is the 120mm bottom bracket version. I'm torn between staying with the fat bike frame, with full suspension, which is easy. I prefer the external battery on top of the downtube, or just going with a regular mountain bike frame that takes max 2.8" tires to spec. I would need to modify the BBSHD axle, or use a lot of spacers.

FS=full suspension.

I don't know if we've discussed this, but after a lot of screwing around with the 26x4" (or thereabouts) tires, I converted my fatty to 27.5 x 2.8" and have been very happy with the results. I bought a cheap ($150.) 100mm wide hydraulic front fork to replace the 135mm pogo stick I had in front, using the brake over again. Then built a new 27.5 front wheel using a 34mm rim. In back, I used the original hub over again, mostly because coming up with 170mm hubs was nearly impossible, and good ones, are super expensive when you find them! So I installed a 27.5" 36mm wide rear rim on the original hub.

Point being, you could re-use MANY of the parts you have now on a new build, OR, you could convert that bike to 27.5 without a lot of trouble... -Al

Thanks Al, I def want a rear suspension. I got a line on a FS frame that takes 2.8-3" tires. I am confidant I can make it work with 27.5 X 2.8" tires.
Just thought I'd try one more time to see if there is an "FS" Fatty Aluminum frame that will fit my needs but I think it doesn't exist.

Back