Need Battery for A2B Kuo+ - Is Alibaba the Answer?

len_m

Region
USA
Hello EBR!

Just joined, glad to e-meet you, pardon me if I make any newbie's faux-pas.

Battery on my good old Kuo+ died finally, I opened it, it seems very dead, some cells leaked and all, so don't think it's salvageable.
Any suggestions on the course of action to replace it?
Since the company has gone under a few years back, originals seem to be out of existence. The only third-party one that I've found so far that looks like could fit the bill is from alibaba - https://www.alibaba.com/product-det...9.html?spm=a2700.wholesale.0.0.38cf2c1ccQvq4G

I've never dealt with alibaba, nor with replacing e-bike battery, so would love to hear any advice.

Thanks!
Len

...aaand - it's back on the road!

So in the end I decided not to go with the above link, as I found out I would have to replace the battery housing on the bike as well, a dubious proposition from unchecked source (but who knows, maybe it could have worked).
Instead, I went with one @Jenny Mao , who is a trusted presence on this forum, as I quickly found out after some browsing. Ordered a small bottle type battery from her via alibaba, for a very fair price, name is "Dongche G20 36V 7AH(rated 6.8Ah)". Highly recommend Jenny, she was very patient with all my questions, we exchanged many emails before settling on the type and price.
Took a while to arrive to New York, about a month. Was well packed, and battery itself looks solid.
Install was fairly easy - attached the holder to frame with two self-tapping screws, then soldered two wires to corresponding wires on the bike (red and black). Ignored other 3 thinner wires. Was totally paranoid that it's not going to fully work, but seems to be all good so far. The battery is definetely zippier than the old original, although I haven't tested it for more than 10 mile distances yet so can't comment on discharge rate.
In summary - owners of A2B Kuo+ with dead battery - rejoice, your bike is not ready for a landfill!
Here's a pic, almost done, just need to secure the wires better and take out the original battery housing -

A2B Kuo+ battery almost final.jpg

I received my ebike battery from today from Alibaba. Linda Lee and Shenzhen Xinruihang Technology's customer service was excellent. I plan on using my new battery for my Lectric XP. I bought from Alibaba rather than Lectric because batteries with longer run times and higher amp. hrs. are available. The price of my battery was very fair and arrived in four weeks. Buyers should be patient as Fedex will not provide you with tracking until the item is actually in the USA and has cleared customs.

Wow that is so rad! I just want to thank you for this idea and for your excellent genius at saving this unique model from the landfill. also, What years your bike? I have bought a similar used model and am not sure how o determine the year have had no response from Kuo about getting a replacement battery for it and am just now finding this forum to possibly do something similar to what you did here. Honestly my bike was probably rarely ridden before I bought it. But the battery gives barely 10 miles if I am conservative with its power. I am also a bike commuter by choice for the most part. I love to ride, however this bike is not really fun to ride without any assist for me the drag is just off center due to the weight of the battery in the wheel. So for me beefing up on the battery storage is super important. I love the folding bike body style but rarely have a use for it so installing a new battery up on the top bar would probably be beneficial in terms of easy recharging and does it remove from the frame to take with you? could you post the max miles you can get from it? would you be able to conceive of having 2 batteries to swap out when one runs out?
thanks for your time in reading and responding. I have no soldering experience but I have friends and think this could be a shared project.
...aaand - it's back on the road!

So in the end I decided not to go with the above link, as I found out I would have to replace the battery housing on the bike as well, a dubious proposition from unchecked source (but who knows, maybe it could have worked).
Instead, I went with one @Jenny Mao , who is a trusted presence on this forum, as I quickly found out after some browsing. Ordered a small bottle type battery from her via alibaba, for a very fair price, name is "Dongche G20 36V 7AH(rated 6.8Ah)". Highly recommend Jenny, she was very patient with all my questions, we exchanged many emails before settling on the type and price.
Took a while to arrive to New York, about a month. Was well packed, and battery itself looks solid.
Install was fairly easy - attached the holder to frame with two self-tapping screws, then soldered two wires to corresponding wires on the bike (red and black). Ignored other 3 thinner wires. Was totally paranoid that it's not going to fully work, but seems to be all good so far. The battery is definetely zippier than the old original, although I haven't tested it for more than 10 mile distances yet so can't comment on discharge rate.
In summary - owners of A2B Kuo+ with dead battery - rejoice, your bike is not ready for a landfill!
Here's a pic, almost done, just need to secure the wires better and take out the original battery housing -

View attachment 105607

Augi528, so sorry, just seeing your comment. If it's not too late - yes, you can easily remove battery from the frame, it has a locking mechanism with a key. Miles - got about 10 miles out of it yesterday on almost full charge with assist level 3-4 and moderate pedaling effort. It was cool weather, 40F or so, and route was moderately hilly (in case you know - Washington bridge to west side highway to mid Manhattan - so two sizable climbs). It can do closer to 15 miles in warmer weather with moderate climbs. Two batteries is an interesting idea, as 10-15 miles range is a bit short. I don't mind getting some exercise, but the bike is heavy and pedaling without power is hard.

Back