need an advice for an ebike for hilly commute

ebike2020

Hi EBR member,

I live in South Vanocuver BC and want to buy an ebike for a hilly commute to downtown Vancouver (est. round trip 30 km)

My budget is $3000 to $5500 CAD.

I am 39 and fit build and want something which can be good for exercising too.

So there will be times you don't want to sweat (going to work) and other times when you do (going home, weekends).
Geared hub motor bikes allow that with no drag power off. The penalty is about 12 lb over an unpowered bike. Not a problem to me, I was riding a steel bike with steel baskets before and the aluminum frame & fabric bags make weight come out even. My geared hub bike gets me & 80 lb cargo up 15% grades, no sweat. 320 gross. As long as the hills are rollers. Geared hubs cannot take you from the sea to the top of the sierra in 15 minutes, they will overheat at slow speeds (uphill) full power for 15 minutes. I do 77 hills in 30 miles, 3.5 hours. I pedal unpowered 26 miles of it unless the wind is over 12 mph in my face. No more 6 hours commutes home @ 144 bpm with power on the bike. I sit bolt upright to protect my neck, a high drag posture.
For more money you can have a mid-drive bike, with more maintenance (chains). Shimano esteps, Yamaha, & brose allow riding power off with no drag. Yamaha allows 2 front chainrings for better speed selection than the other two. With geared hub, I have 3 front chainrings, 8 rear sprockets, a selection of 32:32 to 52:11 speeds, and my 8 speed chain lasted 5000 miles. thinner chains will last less miles, as low as 500 miles one commuter reports with 11 speed chain. I can get up 15% at 320 lb gross with no power for the exercise, or help the motor with my feet at 20 mph trying to extend the range. BTW my geared hub & battery are on the front for better balance versus the cargo on the back. You can't buy that built, you have to convert to it. ebikes.ca is in vancouver, best converter warehouse. Don't ride front hub drive with power on ice or wet wood decks.
Mid drive used to have the advantage of torque sensing instead of PAS which is jerky at low speed, but now there are brands like x-treme catalina geared hub drives that also have torque sensing.
Advantage of conversions, you can buy a huge battery, and use standard connectors (.250 insulated flag terminals from T&B, Ideal, Panduit, 3M, TE connectivity, Dorman) that don't cost you $$$ in 5 years when the battery wears out. Pro crimped connectors never drop out on a big bump. Require no maintenance in the rain. My mount is permanent and takes 30 minutes to take off without sawing all the struts with a battery tool. Baffled one amateur thief at the grocery already, he removed some wrong bolts.
With the cargo bike bags I can carry 1 or 2 6' SS 13 mm slings or hardened chains for tethering to power poles or gas meters, no problem. See security thread. U-locks & bar locks are for people that can afford a new bike.
Happy shopping.

Last edited:
I have no knowlege how to convert a standard bike into a electric bike and also would the aerodynamic of the bike suffer?

Do you know any good quality bikes which I could convert? I need a comfort upright bike (step through).

If you don't need cargo capability, Magnum, m2s and electra townie make some step through models that come with rear geared hub motors. Also the usual suspects trek giant specialized (yamaha mids).
Make sure you get disk brakes, rim brakes lose most capability in the rain. I'm happy with cable pull disk brakes. That x-treme catalina looked very attractive with the torque sensing, although it appears to be out of stock. Doesn't come in my size (small).
See this thread for a conversion video : https://electricbikereview.com/foru...vert-your-bike-to-an-e-bike.33836/post-278262
Also the conversion videos of ebikes.ca
You'll need an electric drill, maybe a 3" grinding wheel on a mandrel to open up the slot. set of drills. vise. Hacksaw. tin snips to make 1" clamps to mount controller, torque arms. Set of allen wrenches. combo wrenches. safety glasses. Klein or Ideal crimp tool for battery connections. If you don't mount a PAS magnet wheel, you don't need a crank puller (I didn't). Flat, round triangle file (nicholson, not harbor freight imitations). Maybe rotary file for drill. Stock of 5 mm or 10-32 SS bolts and elastic stop nuts. (grainger, fastenal, MCSdirect.). Don't order stuff from US pro distributors, there is a UPS loan origination fee ($25). Cross border only with USPS/royal mail.
My bike left with super cargo capacity & bags is a yubabike, small frame for short people like me. Had 136 lb groceries on it 2 weeks ago, 400 lb gross. Similar bikes from envoy mongoose($700), xtracycle,blix packa (24") , kona ute, magnum, radwagon (dd draggy motor), surly (steel HD frame).
Main aerodynamic inhibitor of the package is me, the rider that sits like Mary Poppins on the carrousel. Mother popped a neck disk sitting wrong and I look just like her. The more forwards you ride, the more aero. Head forward riders that aren't afraid of popping their neck disks ride orbea electric bikes.
You'll see my battery is mounted on the front, right in line with my body, and wedge shaped. Between the legs is more popular battery, but I don't like having a LiIon fire hazard under my crotch. Forward battery steers fine even with bike unloaded, whereas people complain about batteries high on a rear deck pulling the bike around when they are pushing it.

Last edited:
Hi EBR member,

I live in South Vanocuver BC and want to buy an ebike for a hilly commute to downtown Vancouver (est. round trip 30 km)

Are you looking for a throttle? If so, some of the hub-based rides mentioned would work.

Rizebikes.ca in Vancouver have a wide line up of well-priced hub e-bikes and a powerful mid motor bike called the RX. Other than the RX, most of their hub based bikes are in the $1900 to $2300 range.

If you want something that will ride more like a bike with no assist, OHM Cycles in Abbotsford BC recently started selling a new line-up using the Shimano eSteps mid-drives. If their store is open for test rides (who knows with the covids though) it might be worth a trip.

Their bikes are $3800-$4500 (more expensive model has front suspension and more powerful Shimano e7000 motor). Court seemed really impressed with their line-up, and I'm debating on one of their bikes, vs a Giant Explore+ which is about $3300.

I already have a hub based e-bike which is a great mule, even in the Toronto winter, but it's a fat-tire and I'm looking for something that feels more like a bicycle as as second vehicle (since I haven't needed to own a car in 25 years, I've always been a cyclist to some extent).

All prices mentioned above are Canadian dollars.

They're powered by 52V battery, GMAC motor + Phaserunner.
(apparently only first few comes with GMAC, and the rest will be powered by eZee, but GMAC is a better motor)
GMAC is a geared hub motor without a one way clutch, so it drags unpowered. IMHO unsuitable for people that want to exercise themselves sometimes. The base MAC is a respected geared hub motor that doesn't drag.
"Advantage" of GMAC, it will recharge the battery downhill. Whoopie, I can ride 30 miles without using any power at all. Just leave the motor turned off.

Last edited:
I am reading that mid drive motors perform better on hills and also the pedaling is more natural with mid drive motors.
Any good brands you guys can suggest for a good quality and price balance?

I am looking at Gazelle, Cube, Ohm, Bulls, Moustache, Specialized but cannot decide, so many choices and features .

I am so confused :(

I am looking at Gazelle, Cube, Ohm, Bulls, Moustache, Specialized but cannot decide, so many choices and features .

I am so confused :(
Quick request: I see you have 6 brands listed... which six bikes in particular? Given what you've said about yourself and your planned usage, that might help whittle things down. I've found that helped a lot in my own searching.

In either case, I'd definitely recommend trying before buying, though every brand you've mentioned have good reps, and any motor servicing should be available in Van via an authorized local bike shop.

Quick request: I see you have 6 brands listed... which six bikes in particular? Given what you've said about yourself and your planned usage, that might help whittle things down. I've found that helped a lot in my own searching.

In either case, I'd definitely recommend trying before buying, though every brand you've mentioned have good reps, and any motor servicing should be available in Van via an authorized local bike shop.

Looking at

Gazelle Ultimate T10 HMB
Cube Kathmandu Hybrid Pro 625
Bulls Lacuba Evo Lite ( has IGH from Shimano Nexus, but I do not know how that will be good for hills, given that it will only have few gear levels)
Specialized Turbo Como 5.0 650 B
Ohm Quest
Moustache Samede 27 Xroad 5

How important are rear and front suspension for commuting? Or is just seatpost suspesion enough for rear suspension.

I also like the R&M bikes a lot but is the price really justified for those?

If you can sneak across the border down to WA you're more than welcome to test ride my Frey CC. It's a beast but you can make it as much of a workout as you want and sometimes it's nice to have the extra power to run errands and get stuff done fast. For a lighter full suspension (and with a sprung rack option) I think Ravi's SUB is going to be a big seller and tap the gap in the market for those not wanting to spend a small fortune on R&M but going to be a while.

If you can sneak across the border down to WA you're more than welcome to test ride my Frey CC. It's a beast but you can make it as much of a workout as you want and sometimes it's nice to have the extra power to run errands and get stuff done fast. For a lighter full suspension (and with a sprung rack option) I think Ravi's SUB is going to be a big seller and tap the gap in the market for those not wanting to spend a small fortune on R&M but going to be a while.

How long is the wait time for Frey CC?

Also, when is Ravi realeasing his bike? Is there any website with more information about the specs ?

when is Ravi realeasing his bike?

I wish I could release this bike soon but it will take time to get all the things right.
This bike suits your description pretty well and we are a Canadian company assembling bikes in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

After, @tomdav comment, I thought about it and we agreed to move the second battery position to seat tube position for the step-thru model and downtube for the diamond frame model.

I have one raw frame but the updated frames will come in sometime in early July. These two models have basically all the things you mentioned and more and within your price bracket.

1590014628591.png

Last edited:
I wish I could release this bike soon but it will take time to get all the things right.
This bike suits your description pretty well and we are a Canadian company assembling bikes in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

After, @tomdav comment, I thought about it and we agreed to move the second battery position to seat tube position for the step-thru model and downtube for the diamond frame model.

I have one raw frame but the updated frames will come in sometime in early July. These two models have basically all the things you mentioned and more and within your price bracket.

View attachment 52950

View attachment 52947

View attachment 52949

Thanks for the info Ravi, the drawings look really nice. I am originally from Germany and R&M is only 5km away from the town where I grew up. I have heard many good stories about their bikes, especially the ones with Rohloff IGH, I hope you can engineer the Canadian version of R&M commuter bikes :)

Which motors are you planning to use?

Which motors are you planning to use?

Bosch Gen 4 motors. We could customize just about anything on these models. From CX to Speed motor, brakes, wheels, belt/chain, Enviolo/Rohloff etc.

This is a big plus because we could customize each bike as per the requirement of the customer but the downside is time and also we won't be live until late August.

More details can be found here:

Bosch Gen 4 motors. More details can be found here:

Wow, these are the features and components which I want and only R&M offers thse feature currently. Are the approx. prices you posted in USD or CAD?
I would buy your bike right way :)

Hi EBR member,

I live in Burnaby and work downtown. I have a co-worker who commutes by bike who also lives in South Vancouver.

If you are fit, 39 and looking for some exercise I'd start out by using a conventional bicycle. You may not need an electric bike. The only reason I got an electric commuter is that I was rushing back and forth wanting to ensure I could pick up kids from daycare on time. As it was I probably didn't need an electric. Having said that, I did find as I got to 50 that it was harder to ride 5 days a week and the electric was good for keeping me fresh and allowing me to commute 5 days a week by bike.

If you do decide to go electric then I'd suggest a lower power ebike. You won't need much power. The trip from South Vancouver to downtown isn't that far and depending upon where you are the hills are not that bad. If you go up say Ontario, it's not that steep. The hill might be several blocks long but it's a fairly easy grade.

The new Vado SL can be had for $4,800 and would easily get you up the hill and it's enough like a conventional bike that you could ride with the motor off when you want exercise. You can also tune the motor assist in the app to give you power in 5% increments so you have the ability to adjust as you need.

PS - My co-worker is a big guy, probably weighs about 260+ lbs. He commutes all through winter and his old bike had rim brakes and with the hill going to work and going home he wore through rims pretty quickly. He ended up buying a disc brake bike to resolve that problem. The grit on the rims through the rainy season was like sandpaper on the rims, and with all that weight to slow down he was going through wheels like crazy.

As far as the CC, not sure about wait time. At least a month to build and another month for sea shipping. It's really nice to have full suspension, not sure I'll be able to go back to a hard tail after this. I really like it but am hesitant to recommend (due to the weight) unless you want a bike for more utilitarian purposes.

Most of the cottage e-bike industry in North America has focused on rear hub or bafang mid drives, so Ravi's offerings will be compelling for those that want a bosch mid drive without the LBS price tag.

Back