Need advice on a carbon fiber build

taco799

To give you some background. I need an e-bike for my new commute. It is 31 miles each way. I haven't started working there yet so I am not sure if I will be able to charge or not. It is all paved and fairly flat.
I have a carbon fiber fixed gear track bike (not exactly this mine was much cheaper but in the same spirit to https://feltbicycles.com/collections/tk/products/tk1-track-bike?variant=18311355793526).
It has no suspension and disc brakes and runs 28cc knobby tires (I take it onto gravel/grass occasionally and abuse it a bit). I prefer to use the bike I have just to keep costs down if possible.
I intend to only use it as a pedal-assist bike.

Does anyone have any suggestions on motors or batteries or will this build work?

I was thinking of using the below BBSHD and a triangle 52v 28AH triangle battery both from Luna. That should give me plenty of speed so my commute doesn't take 2 hours each way and range to get home just in case I can't charge at work.

I did hear the BBSHD is a pretty bad pedal-assist bike and requires super high RPM's (150RPM) for pedal assist. Can anyone confirm, 150RPM seems ridiculous but idk? I would say my RPM are about 40-70RPM on average depending on my energy level.

Often the bottom bracket size is a problem for installing a BBSxx in a carbon frame BB. I'd look at EM3ev batteries. Better BMS and warranty.

I have a Luna BBSHD on my hardtail. The HD does provide a lot of assist on the default 5 level settings, but that can be fixed by changing it to 9 levels of assist. You can also offset the 5 level assist by switching to a 52t front chainring. You can just specify that when you order the kit.

If your going to average about 25 mph, then you'll probably need that 28ah battery. I remember someone on this forum with a similar commute and they basically use about 600 watts in an hour averaging 22-23 mph including traffic lights.

The 28ah should be enough to get you there and back without charging at work. It will probably cut your commute down to 1 hr 15 min to 1 hr 30 min.

That track carbon frame uses a BSA threaded bottom bracket shell so you should be fine.

That said, I'm not sure if a track bike is ideal for commuting. Those things are twitchy from the steep steering angle and most only have front brakes hole and no rear calipers. It may be safer to just get an entry level hard tail with a front suspension.

Last edited:
Back