NCM Prague Battery, Controller and Motor questions

TGSG

Region
Australia
Hi all,

New user here however been scouring the forums for a while now.

My story is I was just about to walk into a shop and buy the NCM Moscow but then I decided to take a look at Facebook Marketplace and saw someone selling a Prague for a price that I just couldn't overlook.

I went to look at the bike thinking nothing lost if it is being sold because it's knackered but when I looked at it it was in really good condition, and the reason for selling was leaving the country soon so although I wanted a Moscow originally I ended up getting a Prague at a really good price.

I am in 2 minds with it, try and resell for a profit and buy a Moscow, or, make a sugar bowl out of a piss tin.

I have a few questions about it if I could because if I can sort out a few things then I'd really like the option of keeping the Prague over switching to the Moscow.

First question (and related second question) is regarding the motor. From what I have read I am lucky to be living in Australia and a 40 minute drive from (can't rember the name of the company but have read here that heaps of people from the UK are having trouble with the UK and Germany stores, and either go through the US or Australia). Being from Australia it seems like I am restricted the same as UK and Canada in that my Prague is restricted to 25kph and comes with a 250w motor.

Honestly I have read stuff about the motor wattage are not real indications because of peak power or something.... I don't understand this no matter what I read so leaving this alone... So to get to my first 2 questions, the Prague and the Moscow appear to have the same motor according to the website, is this true?(Q1) and if so can I upgrade the Prague to 48v utilising the motor that is already on the bike?(Q2) There is a post in here that asks the OP if they are willing to upgrade to 48v but that's where the conversation ends.

Also looking at the website they have a new controller that I can buy for $200 which is for farm use only blah blah whatever... Is there a setting in the current controller that I can change for free to derestrict it?(Q3) yeah it would be nice to have a throttle however if this can be done for free then am happy with the flat spot and pedal assist only.

Final question is more of an opinion from people more experienced then me, should I go down the road of upgrading to 48v (if possible), looking at a rear rack and second 36v battery, or is it really best to switch to a Moscow?(Q4) again this question is last because if I don't need to spend the extra $1000 to change to a Moscow then I'd rather not.

Thanks all

Oh, in relation to Q3 it is the L6 controller and I know about the advanced mode (hold up and down and enter code 8018) but when I do that there are only options for Wheel size, eco normal or power modes, and 36/48v; no speed adjustment settings.

I have tried entering other codes in case the code I entered is like a half advanced mode (some setting still locked) but no success.

Cheers

So are you thinking about replacing your battery to 48V?

If so, there are quite a bit of options, however you would need to change your controller as well, obviously.
Well will I need to replace controller? if I go into the advanced menu there is an option for both 36v and 48v that I can toggle....

Honestly if I cannot de restrict it for free then I am probably going to change the controller anyway, but if I can avoid it then I want to know and be able to consider it as an option.

https://www.leoncycle.com.au/das-kit-off-road-private-land-use-only-display-kit~9504 this is the only way I can see to derestrict the bike but thinking surely there is a cheaper option then this, and if there is a free way then would does the controller that comes with the bike support 48v already?

If you want to know about the power rating, watch this video.

Thanks for linking this video, there is a lot of good info here. After watching I think I got a basic understanding in my mind but wouldn't be able to explain it to someone else lol

Thanks for linking this video, there is a lot of good info here. After watching I think I got a basic understanding in my mind but wouldn't be able to explain it to someone else lol
What the video tells me is that it is a 36v battery, and the D5 controller outputs maximum 15amps then the motor is 540w peak and 7amps rated which makes the continuous 252w. https://www.leoncycle.com.au/~813

Are you sure you can use 48v battery with stock controller?

As far as I know, the NCM Prague comes with 36V controller.
It's also 7A nominal, 15A max, which is pretty weak.
Sorry I see what you mean by changing the controller, I was calling the display on the handlebar the controller which is not the case.... This thread must be so confusing right now haha

Hi all,

New user here however been scouring the forums for a while now.

My story is I was just about to walk into a shop and buy the NCM Moscow but then I decided to take a look at Facebook Marketplace and saw someone selling a Prague for a price that I just couldn't overlook.

I went to look at the bike thinking nothing lost if it is being sold because it's knackered but when I looked at it it was in really good condition, and the reason for selling was leaving the country soon so although I wanted a Moscow originally I ended up getting a Prague at a really good price.

I am in 2 minds with it, try and resell for a profit and buy a Moscow, or, make a sugar bowl out of a piss tin.

I have a few questions about it if I could because if I can sort out a few things then I'd really like the option of keeping the Prague over switching to the Moscow.

First question (and related second question) is regarding the motor. From what I have read I am lucky to be living in Australia and a 40 minute drive from (can't rember the name of the company but have read here that heaps of people from the UK are having trouble with the UK and Germany stores, and either go through the US or Australia). Being from Australia it seems like I am restricted the same as UK and Canada in that my Prague is restricted to 25kph and comes with a 250w motor.

Honestly I have read stuff about the motor wattage are not real indications because of peak power or something.... I don't understand this no matter what I read so leaving this alone... So to get to my first 2 questions, the Prague and the Moscow appear to have the same motor according to the website, is this true?(Q1) and if so can I upgrade the Prague to 48v utilising the motor that is already on the bike?(Q2) There is a post in here that asks the OP if they are willing to upgrade to 48v but that's where the conversation ends.

Also looking at the website they have a new controller that I can buy for $200 which is for farm use only blah blah whatever... Is there a setting in the current controller that I can change for free to derestrict it?(Q3) yeah it would be nice to have a throttle however if this can be done for free then am happy with the flat spot and pedal assist only.

Final question is more of an opinion from people more experienced then me, should I go down the road of upgrading to 48v (if possible), looking at a rear rack and second 36v battery, or is it really best to switch to a Moscow?(Q4) again this question is last because if I don't need to spend the extra $1000 to change to a Moscow then I'd rather not.

Thanks all
I can´t answer the motor question. Unlimiting is possible if the are the same I´d think. I have 3900 miles
on my moscow, the only real issue was the stock tires, flimsy sidewalls & not enuff PSI for a big guy like myself.
Once I dealt with that it´s been a terrific bike for the price, ( $1200 US ). EU/UK limits kinda sour either deal.
I´m biased, but I´d go with the moscow over a used in uncertain condition. Then again, I ride a 500w 48 v
Das Kit x15r motor with enuff power to climb anything. I pedal & much of the time the display shows no power
in use with the right gear & cadence I´ve been getting super mileage on 13ah.

Actually are you sure that's what you meant?

On your first post, you said $200 controller, and I don't think you meant $200 display.
No I think it's $200 display, the L6 doesn't allow a speed change but upgrading to the C7 allows for the change, adds the left hand screen buttons and the right hand throttle... In my mind (which could very well be absolutely wrong), I'm guessing that the upgraded display gives you the option of pulling more from your controller to allow for the derestriction.

Back