Navigator v. Metro?

funnyesq

New to ebikes and may purchase one. Considering the Magnum line. I have rented a mid-drive and will rent a PAS/Throttle to see the difference. I looked on Magnum's web site and saw both the Navigator and the Metro. I saw a Metro in person but not yet a Navigator. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two. Wheels are a bit taller on the Navigator and some other things. Anything I should pay attention to between the two? Thanks.

I am far from an expert so read this with that in mind. I purchased the Navigator a little over a month ago. I have never owned another ebike. I looked at the Metro as well. I am an older guy and weigh about 225 with some knee issues. My rides are mostly on gravel and paved bike paths. It is perfect for that and I like the bigger tires. The frame and integrated battery into the frame appealed to me. Low step to get on and a cleaner look. As I do not push the bike hard I am very pleased with the choice. If I were looking to push it a little more aggressively I think I would opt for the Metro with the higher step frame. I have noticed a little frame movement, very slight but I did notice, on occasion. I noticed this when taking it on a more rugged trail. It wasn't that advanced but it did have some challenging twists, bends and bumps. Due to the above factors about age etc. I won't be doing that again and will stick to a more gentle ride. Either way I think you would be pleased. Both are best for a more sedate environment.

We have both here. Bought last week. It is my understanding that - apart from the obvious larger wheels (27.5 instead of 26) - the Navigator‘s battery capacity is slightly smaller than the Metro’s, but I have yet to confirm that. I did see (to my disappointment) that my wife’s new Metro has a USB port (for charging your phone while cycling), whereas my Navigator has not... :). They are the most powerful bikes (in their price range) that we tested when we were looking to replace our old e-bikes.

I recently purchased the Magnum Navigator as my third e-bike and I love it. I have two “higher end” Haibikes - the SDuro Cross 9.5 (Bosch Performance Cx low step Hybrid) and the SDuro Full Seven 7.0 (full suspension EMtb); My husband has a BH Easy Motion Evo City Pro which is a hub drive, and a Haibike SDuro Full 9.5LT. . . so I have lots of experience riding different styles of e-bikes. I ride street, gravel and off road single track in the mountains and desert of Western Colorado. I decided on the Navigator after learning I could not realistically expect to get the Gazelle Ultimate T10+ until next year. Despite some initial skepticism about the capabilities of a hub drive on hills, my experience has been surprisingly positive. I can cruise up the Colorado National Monument (steep and winding road) with minimal effort and plenty of battery. The Navigator has a very comfortable upright riding position, and the step through is a nice change from my low step options. I typically get between 35-45 miles on a full charge with smart battery management, and I find Level 3-4 are my primary levels of assist. The hub drive motor produces a “different” type of power, and the extra speed (limited to 25) is enjoyable on the open road. I rarely use the throttle - I think it seems like a desirable option, but in actual practice I only think about using it as a boost to get across traffic from a full stop. The Magnum Navigator is a great bike for the price point based on the features and components.

Ended up with the Metro.....very nice. I'm tall so even though I might have been okay with the extra 1.5" height, I think the Metro meets my needs and then some. Haven't tested on dirt (probably will one day) but have on some hills. So far no problem and I haven't even used 4+ The throttle I find handy at a traffic stop to get going but beyond that I doubt I will be too lazy to use throttle only. I am curious how much range I will get on the battery. I went 20 miles and only reduce by 1 bar. Should be interesting as I get more used to it.

Ended up with the Metro.....very nice. I'm tall so even though I might have been okay with the extra 1.5" height, I think the Metro meets my needs and then some. Haven't tested on dirt (probably will one day) but have on some hills. So far no problem and I haven't even used 4+ The throttle I find handy at a traffic stop to get going but beyond that I doubt I will be too lazy to use throttle only. I am curious how much range I will get on the battery. I went 20 miles and only reduce by 1 bar. Should be interesting as I get more used to it.
On a typical ride (generally flat with some gradual inclines and a couple of decent hills) I am getting 35 miles with 3 bars left (I think around 480 BMS) on my display. At full charge the display shows 544 BMS with 5 bars. I find the 3-4 levels of assist are adequate for easy riding with friends. When I want to get on it (or have to contend with time constraints) I will use level 5-6 which obviously eats up the battery faster and requires better battery management. Using the gears (down-shifting) becomes more critical to save battery power, but I find I can climb a pretty big hill and still keep it at level 3 without too much effort. So far I have been really pleased with the power and battery. I did order a new Suntour 400mm suspension seat post to give me a little more seat height. . .
00943BC6-9843-4D1C-8DB6-D01EECDCD9B2.jpeg

I have a navigator and was thinking of a suspension seat post -- what size is the navigator seat post - 27 or 31 mm?

I recently purchased the Magnum Navigator as my third e-bike and I love it. I have two “higher end” Haibikes - the SDuro Cross 9.5 (Bosch Performance Cx low step Hybrid) and the SDuro Full Seven 7.0 (full suspension EMtb); My husband has a BH Easy Motion Evo City Pro which is a hub drive, and a Haibike SDuro Full 9.5LT. . . so I have lots of experience riding different styles of e-bikes. I ride street, gravel and off road single track in the mountains and desert of Western Colorado. I decided on the Navigator after learning I could not realistically expect to get the Gazelle Ultimate T10+ until next year. Despite some initial skepticism about the capabilities of a hub drive on hills, my experience has been surprisingly positive. I can cruise up the Colorado National Monument (steep and winding road) with minimal effort and plenty of battery. The Navigator has a very comfortable upright riding position, and the step through is a nice change from my low step options. I typically get between 35-45 miles on a full charge with smart battery management, and I find Level 3-4 are my primary levels of assist. The hub drive motor produces a “different” type of power, and the extra speed (limited to 25) is enjoyable on the open road. I rarely use the throttle - I think it seems like a desirable option, but in actual practice I only think about using it as a boost to get across traffic from a full stop. The Magnum Navigator is a great bike for the price point based on the features and components.
Have one and I agree with everything you said.

Navigator is the better of the two, as the Metro is a design that is long in the tooth, with no updates hardly in the past few years. The Navi's rims are not only taller, but the tires are wider, with more of a balloon style shape than even those on the metro. Not everyone likes the cream or beige tires on the metro, and your choice is very limited if you want to stick with that color when you go to replace. Whereas you have many choices for the Navi, including the option to go with mtb style tires as the fender spacing is much better than on the metro. Metro always has fender rub problems with very tight fender spacing for the schwalbes.

The battery is better integrated and more enclosed in the Navi. And magnum offers the ability to upgrade the capacity later on. The rest of the components are similar or the same. The Navi rides better, and the frame feels much stronger especially in the critical downtube and connecting to the A pillar. It's a little more money, but dealers usually discount them. The Navi is better for folks on the taller side, and you ride in a higher position than on metro.

Battery is 1 ah larger on the metro. Doubt you would notice much difference in range. 27.5 wheels will roll better on the Navi, than 26 " wheels on the Metro in most circumstances and should theoretically be better over bumps with the better angle of attack on larger rim.

The Schwalbe tire on the Metro is the better quality rubber, and has its K guard protection. I'm not found of the tire they put on the Navi, but again you can find many tires that will fit, and have multiple design options whether smooth or knobby, or hybrid for the Navi. Schwalbes Super motos would be very cool on the Navi. Or even the Smart Sam that is on the Peak, for excellent off road, and simultaneous pavement smoothness with the wonderful center bead design. CST Patrols would be very interesting as well. I love them on the Surface 604 Shred. The Navi can be a very fun ebike. Add the NCX suspension seat post, and Cloud 9's comfort contour saddle and you'll be in ride comfort heaven with balloon tires and the front suspension.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right about the fender rub, fought that a bit on my UI6 but was able to solve it myself with some effort. I agree with most of the other things....navigator looks like the future.

Back