Where does that fit in the bike? I assume it is inside the down tube. Is that easily accessible?
Yes, the controller is below the lower battery rest pad. You remove three small phillips screws (a jeweler's screwdriver is helpful). Remove the lower pad and the long wire cover; don't need to remove the upper pad, just the screw. One connector (w/red, yellow & black wires) must be disconnected to get the controller out. Then swap wires/connectors over. Use care to match the wires exactly. My bike had one red/black connector on the controller not used. There were two gray/black connectors, both going to sheathed wires on the bike. I tried to match them with the way they were originally oriented; not sure it would matter?
Anyway, everything still works! I put a couple of zip-ties around the wires coming down the tube to keep them in place better.
Here's some pics:
IMG_4783a.jpgIMG_4784a.jpgIMG_4785a.jpgIMG_4786a.jpgIMG_4790a.jpg

Yes, the controller is below the lower battery rest pad. You remove three small phillips screws (a jeweler's screwdriver is helpful). Remove the lower pad and the long wire cover; don't need to remove the upper pad, just the screw. One connector (w/red, yellow & black wires) must be disconnected to get the controller out. Then swap wires/connectors over. Use care to match the wires exactly. My bike had one red/black connector on the controller not used. There were two gray/black connectors, both going to sheathed wires on the bike. I tried to match them with the way they were originally oriented; not sure it would matter?
Anyway, everything still works! I put a couple of zip-ties around the wires coming down the tube to keep them in place better.
Here's some pics:
View attachment 73220View attachment 73221View attachment 73222View attachment 73223View attachment 73224
This is good info, hroosa. Thanks. I haven't been reading this blog for a while. Combining the upgraded controller with the 48v 14Ah battery pn my XC100 might be in my future! How did you get the discount on the controller?

This is good info, hroosa. Thanks. I haven't been reading this blog for a while. Combining the upgraded controller with the 48v 14Ah battery pn my XC100 might be in my future! How did you get the discount on the controller?
Hello zzRider.
Glad to hear you may pursue getting the re-programmed controller!
I did not have to ask for a discount; it was offered. As I probably mentioned, I had written them several emails complaining about the limited boost on PAS, particularly with respect to climbing hills. After one of those, I got this response:
"I have read your email about the pedal-assist.
Yes, for safety, the maximum current of the pedal-assist is 6 amp.
If you indeed need a controller whose pedal-assist is as large as the throttle current, the price of the controller is $78.99.
I can apply for half price for you.($40)
If you would like to get one, I will send you an email invoice to help you pay it."
After I responded to that, the CSR ("Lola") sent me an email link (invoice) to make the purchase. The entire order process took about two weeks.
BTW, we recently rode our bikes on back roads, on a windy, chilly day. This ride included several decent hills. I used mainly PAS 4 (of 5), and the performance was great. (I believe I have the assist ratios set at 50/61/73/85/98). We covered 17 miles, averaging 16.5 mph. My battery was nearly (but not 100%) fully charged. After the ride the display still says 4-of-5 bars, though I did see it drop to 3 bars near the end, for a while. Point being I used plenty of assist, as we were riding into the wind most of the time (funny how that works...).
I think you will be happy if you make this change; plus, you can always change it back.
Let us know how you make out!

To SLONomad and zzRider (and to any other AM100 owners) frustrated by the 6 amp limit that Eahora has imposed...
I am a new member, but have been following your posts after I received my bike in September. I too was not impressed by my bikes inability to climb hills, as it's pretty hilly where we live. Then, we purchased a Ride1Up 700 series for my wife. Wow; what a difference! Granted, it has a bigger motor, but it obviously was not similarly restricted in PAS mode. I contacted Eahora customer service, and though they have been responsive, I was told the same story (safety, etc.).
I tried changing settings that they recommended, but nothing improved. I contacted them again, and pleaded my case. They offered to send me a re-programmed controller (at a discount), which would deliver 18 amps, both on throttle and PAS. It took only a week to get, and after installing it yesterday, it actually works!! I haven't had time to sort out (fine tune) the settings, but can safely say that the bike is much, much better. If any of you need further detail,
I'd be happy to share. This would be the way the bike should be sold!
Just saw your post. I'm also having difficulty climbing steep hills with my XC100. Are you happy with the new controller and did that solve your problem? Are you noticing any battery overheating/ rapid discharge issues? I may contact them as well and try to get a reprogrammed controller.

Just saw your post. I'm also having difficulty climbing steep hills with my XC100. Are you happy with the new controller and did that solve your problem? Are you noticing any battery overheating/ rapid discharge issues? I may contact them as well and try to get a reprogrammed controller.
My problem as well,I tried to adjust the current up on my controller it only has 3PAS levels, Lola implied my bike may not have had the 15 amp controller,She offered me a 18 amp controller for$95.99 and said she would try to get me a $20.00 discount, sounds like a different story from what you Guys got.I would return the bike if I could it only has 4 miles on it, it had some pretty serious scratches on it when it came apparently the battery got loose during shipping, one tire tire seemed to have dirt on it, you think maybe they shipped me a returned bike?It was supposed to be brand new. If anybody wants this bike they can have it for $620 if they come get it, it simply will not work for me and by the time I returned it I would really be in the hole-Kevin

Spanky: I have not ridden since I posted a reply to zzRider last Sunday, but I can only say that the improvement is significant. I don't believe I will have serious battery issues if I don't "over-use" the higher PAS settings. Time will tell, and we are not riding much now due to the cold weather...
As to contacting Eahora, see my earlier posts as to what I was told. Apparently kmccune is getting a different story (price), which seems to follow other members experiences I have seen regarding dealings with them. Good luck, and try to get the same deal!

My problem as well,I tried to adjust the current up on my controller it only has 3PAS levels, Lola implied my bike may not have had the 15 amp controller,She offered me a 18 amp controller for$95.99 and said she would try to get me a $20.00 discount, sounds like a different story from what you Guys got.I would return the bike if I could it only has 4 miles on it, it had some pretty serious scratches on it when it came apparently the battery got loose during shipping, one tire tire seemed to have dirt on it, you think maybe they shipped me a returned bike?It was supposed to be brand new. If anybody wants this bike they can have it for $620 if they come get it, it simply will not work for me and by the time I returned it I would really be in the hole-Kevin
Kevin:
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences! As you have seen in my posts, "Lola" offered me the new controller for $40, without any haggling. Hard to say if they will negotiate.
Also, it sounds weird about you receiving a damaged and used(?) bike. My bike came in a box that was pretty beat up, but the packaging they used did a good job of preventing damage. I'll attach pics below; did your bike have similar packaging?
IMG_4736.JPG
IMG_4740.JPG
IMG_4741.JPG
IMG_4743.JPG

Kevin:
Sorry to hear of your bad experiences! As you have seen in my posts, "Lola" offered me the new controller for $40, without any haggling. Hard to say if they will negotiate.
Also, it sounds weird about you receiving a damaged and used(?) bike. My bike came in a box that was pretty beat up, but the packaging they used did a good job of preventing damage. I'll attach pics below; did your bike have similar packaging?View attachment 75179View attachment 75180View attachment 75181View attachment 75182
Interesting report on the packaging. Frey goes one step further in using large black plastic discs that fit on the front wheel axles and they work a charm. Bolton took what Frey gave him ( a really strong form of cardboard box, added heavy corner reinforcement along the top corners, then added three 'blocks/feet glued and strapped around the box over those corner reinforcers AND then wrapped the whole thing in a lot of self sticking plastic wrap. I was beyond impressed. Package got to me after riding three different trucks ( SAIA LTL haulers have a great tracking feature ) in literally pristine condition. The box is in such good shape now I am going to keep it in case I ever sell this bike I will be able to ship it to someone. :)

Screen Shot 2020-12-23 at 6.47.40 PM.png

Interesting report on the packaging. Frey goes one step further in using large black plastic discs that fit on the front wheel axles and they work a charm. Bolton took what Frey gave him ( a really strong form of cardboard box, added heavy corner reinforcement along the top corners, then added three 'blocks/feet glued and strapped around the box over those corner reinforcers AND then wrapped the whole thing in a lot of self sticking plastic wrap. I was beyond impressed. Package got to me after riding three different trucks ( SAIA LTL haulers have a great tracking feature ) in literally pristine condition. The box is in such good shape now I am going to keep it in case I ever sell this bike I will be able to ship it to someone. :)

View attachment 75185 damage The
Hello Reed:
Both the Eahora box and the box my wife's Ride1up 700 SER came in had thin plastic squares glued to the inside to prevent break thru and other damage. Ride1up also used some heavy clear vinyl sheeting pieces in their packaging. I was impressed!

Kevin:
Also, it sounds weird about you receiving a damaged and used(?) bike. My bike came in a box that was pretty beat up, but the packaging they used did a good job of preventing damage. I'll attach pics below; did your bike have similar packaging?View attachment 75179View attachment 75180View attachment 75181View attachment 75182
Kevin:
It was kind of weird, the bottom of the box had extra tape on it like someone had opened the Box, the dirt on the tire could have been were someone let it rest on a dirty surface, do not expect Lola and me will be doing anymore business, I have had 4 other ebikes and the packaging was first rate on them and no damage.I will get rid of this bike because the 36v -500 watt ones would run circles around it on a pull or hillclimb at least it will run 25 mph on the level if you are really trying,I just do not feel like having to push up the hills the other bikes would climb with ease.

It was kind of weird, the bottom of the box had extra tape on it like someone had opened the Box, the dirt on the tire could have been were someone let it rest on a dirty surface, do not expect Lola and me will be doing anymore business, I have had 4 other ebikes and the packaging was first rate on them and no damage.I will get rid of this bike because the 36v -500 watt ones would run circles around it on a pull or hillclimb at least it will run 25 mph on the level if you are really trying,I just do not feel like having to push up the hills the other bikes would climb with ease.
Kevin, I certainly don't blame you! I wonder if Eahora was aware you were dumping the bike (and likely to write negative reviews...), they might give you a better deal on the controller? (They should provide it free; I've told them as much!). Anyway, if you don't get rid of it, the new controller really helped!
Good luck!!!

Kevin, I certainly don't blame you! I wonder if Eahora was aware you were dumping the bike (and likely to write negative reviews...), they might give you a better deal on the controller? (They should provide it free; I've told them as much!). Anyway, if you don't get rid of it, the new controller really helped!
Good luck!!!
Thank you and thats good to know, I have bought a rack for it and it is a whole lot lighter than the 82# cruiser it replaced I have purged my "stable" enough I may just keep it( there is a RR trail about 38 miles away I can try it on, thanks again-its a really nice looking bike.

Thank you and thats good to know, I have bought a rack for it and it is a whole lot lighter than the 82# cruiser it replaced I have purged my "stable" enough I may just keep it( there is a RR trail about 38 miles away I can try it on, thanks again-its a really nice looking bike.
Kevin:
I see in your earlier post you mention having only 3 PAS levels. Have you tried changing that? I'm currently using 5, and it gives pretty good flexibility.

Back