Mystery screws on XDuro Trekking frame

batmick1

So, I have had my 2016 XDuro Trekking RX for a while now and these screws have bothered me from the beginning. I just could not figure out what they are for and so I decided to poll the collective knowledge of the forum.

#1, marked in green, is a single screw on the inside of the drive-side chainstay. There is no counterpart on the other side. My best guess is that it is for some sort of chain guard or so, though it appears too high for that purpose.

#2, marked in blue, is a pair, on the front sides of both seatstays. My best guess here is that they are for mounting a frame lock.

Does anybody know for certain? Maybe even have a picture of the screw actually being used.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Haibike frame (2)_LI.jpg
    Haibike frame (2)_LI.jpg
    486.1 KB · Views: 448
In the old days, quality road bikes used to come with a chain hanger on the inside of the drive side seatstay. You'd hang your chain on it when you removed the rear wheel which kept it clean and everything aligned to make reassembly easier. The #1 screw looks suspiciously in the same location, but I haven't seen one in decades, I'd doubt that was the intent. Here is a picture of one.

ZEfWl.jpg

I don't know what the #2 screws are for, not useful for fenders or racks.

So, I have had my 2016 XDuro Trekking RX for a while now and these screws have bothered me from the beginning. I just could not figure out what they are for and so I decided to poll the collective knowledge of the forum.

#1, marked in green, is a single screw on the inside of the drive-side chainstay. There is no counterpart on the other side. My best guess is that it is for some sort of chain guard or so, though it appears too high for that purpose.

#2, marked in blue, is a pair, on the front sides of both seatstays. My best guess here is that they are for mounting a frame lock.

Does anybody know for certain? Maybe even have a picture of the screw actually being used.

Thanks!

The first one is used for installing chain cover or custom fender connecting points. I have shown in red how certain companies do it.

1591304391012.png

Those mounting points are used for installing cafe locks. ABUS makes cafe locks like this and they can be quite useful for parking your bike in the city.
In EU especially Netherlands, these kind of locks are fairly common.

1591304071090.png

1591304004683.png

Thank you both for the replies!

Definitely too high for a chain hanger. Plus, those were brazed on not screwed in.

Ravi confirmed my suspicions. I have thought about installing such a frame lock because I found them very practical when I lived in Europe. But all I have seen for sale here are with some sort of mounting bracket for the seat stays or adapters for under the V-brake bosses. Guess I better check some German catalogs.
Thanks again!

Back