My Turbo Vado 6.0 is in! (Northern suburbs of Chicago)

Ike582

I just got the call that my Turbo Vado 6 has arrived. I'm going to wait until tomorrow to pick it up and ride it home as it's been raining all weekend. Can't wait to ride it and see what it can do!

wRadUzR.jpg

Congrats. Nice looking bike. Should be sunny and 45F tomorrow. Light wind. A little cold for IL in November, but that's rideable with the right clothing. Watch out for wet leaves. Also flipped on them last night, and I was walking.

If it dries out enough I'll get out onto the Des Plaines River trail and see what kind of range we have. Definitely can be slippery this time of year!

9uPR4Yr.jpg

I've been riding the Hennepin Canal Parkway State Park trail. Mostly tar and chip surface, some rock. Friday I rode west from Bureau Junction. Just a wonderful ride, lots of old infrastructure to see. Maybe a little far for you, it takes me an hour drive to get to it. Great looking bike!

I've been riding the Hennepin Canal Parkway State Park trail. Mostly tar and chip surface, some rock. Friday I rode west from Bureau Junction. Just a wonderful ride, lots of old infrastructure to see. Maybe a little far for you, it takes me an hour drive to get to it. Great looking bike!

Looks like a great trail, but unfortunately it's a 2 and a half hour car ride just to get there for me !

That's a sharp-looking bike!!! I'm thinking about heading out on the Fox River Trail for a ride . . . where are you located, Ike582? I'm assuming far north Cook (Libertyville, Park Ridge, Wheeling)?

Last edited:
McSpiffy, I'm in Highland Park, just East of where you noted. I typically ride either the Des Plaines River trail system or the Green Bay Trail system. The Green Bay trail can be accessed a block from my house, but the nicer Des Plaines River trails are a 15 minute car ride away. My goal is to avoid the car ride, and I can reach the trails just using the bike.

Nice looking rig! Looks way better (to me, anyhow) in that subtle grey than the Arrest Me Yellow I've seen elsewhere.

I just rode it home from the dealer this morning in 35 degree (Fahrenheit) weather. First impressions:

1. The 6.0 is noticeably more comfortable than the 5.0 at high speed due to the front suspension. Riding the 5.0 at 25 mph on a typical park trail or road, the banging bumps and cracks started to add up on my wrists after a while. Today on the 6.0, the same roads were certainly more comfortable.

2. It's really fast. I don't think I'd want anything faster than the 28mph limit unless there was more of a scooter or motorcycle style frame and suspension under me.

3. I've got to dress warmer if I'm going to be on this bike in these temperatures!

Ike, when did you order yours? I ordered two 6.0's in June in Portland, OR and the ship date has been pushed back to late December when I spoke with my lbs last week. Any issues thus far? Seat comfortable? Sorry for all the questions but I am super excited!

MPDX, I ordered the bike the first week of August from Erick's bikes in Deerfield, IL. The seat on my other bikes is a Serfax RX, which I find to be more comfortable than the stock saddle. (I've ordered an other Serfax RX today for the bike.) I have to say the bike handles very well. I have to say the ride is sort of like a Range Rover if I could compare it to a car. It's a meaty bike, it's clear you have a lot of horse under you, but it handles very well. I have to say it's a very comfortable ride aside from my own seat preference. I did 15 miles in 40 degree (c) weather today, essentially flat, in a boost mix of 70% Turbo and 30% sport (measured by time), typical speed was 25-26, frequent stops at intersections. I left the driveway with 70% battery and arrived back at 9%. I guess that was less range than anticipated but probably to be expected considering the cold temp, high level of assist and higher speeds. I've yet to download the iPhone App, and have only a rookie's experience with the display, so there's some technical functionality that I've yet to explore.

"frequent stops at intersections" probably did more to affect your range than "the cold temp, high level of assist and higher speeds". Actually not the stopping, but the getting back up to speed again, especially higher speeds as indicated eats watts.

JRA, for sure that's part of it. Riding the bike it reminded me a bit of my first car, a tiny 1977 Datsun with a 1.4 liter 4-cylender engine and a 5-speed. If you are paying attention, that kind of car can teach you a lot about "energy management." It's the same with an e-bike. You don't want to waste energy slowing down any more than necessary. The guy at the bike shop has been riding the Turbo Levo 6Fatty since the summer as a commuter bike, and he told me as I was leaving the shop to make sure I downshift after a slowdown, and not to stay in high gear and rely on the motor to get me back to speed. He said it burns juice unnecessarily, and I believe him.

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Check back in if you can with any observations or suggestions when you have time.

I just rode it home from the dealer this morning in 35 degree (Fahrenheit) weather. First impressions:

1. The 6.0 is noticeably more comfortable than the 5.0 at high speed due to the front suspension. Riding the 5.0 at 25 mph on a typical park trail or road, the banging bumps and cracks started to add up on my wrists after a while. Today on the 6.0, the same roads were certainly more comfortable.

2. It's really fast. I don't think I'd want anything faster than the 28mph limit unless there was more of a scooter or motorcycle style frame and suspension under me.

3. I've got to dress warmer if I'm going to be on this bike in these temperatures!
I got the 5.0 in July because the 6.0 was not available yet. I wish Specialized had an upgrade program. I’d trade in my 5.0 for a 6.0 and then add Body Float seat suspension.

I think in Europe they sell the 6.0 at 45km/h but with the 250W motor, though the 5.0 is the one with the more powerful 350W motor. Is it like that in the US (I mean the power of the motor, not the speed, lucky you guys have not this stupid limitation).

I believe the battery (604Wh) and motor (250W) are the same on the 5.0 and 6.0, at least here in the U.S.

My Turbo Vado 6.0 arrived at my LBS in Essex, CT, on November 14th. Weather hasn't been great to take it for a ride. I love road bikes and ride an S-Works Roubaix SRAM eTap. Wife bought a Pedego City Commuter last Summer and loves it. Figured I get an eBike to ride with her. As a Specialized fan, I went for the new Turbo Vado 6.0 for features, setup and quality.

IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0012.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg
IMG_0014.jpg
IMG_0015.jpg
IMG_0016.jpg
IMG_0017.jpg
IMG_0018.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0021.jpg
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0025.jpg
IMG_0026.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg
IMG_0028.jpg
IMG_0030.jpg
IMG_0031.jpg
IMG_0013.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 1,027
Last edited:
My Turbo Vado 6.0 arrived at my LBS in Essex, CT, on November 14th. Weather hasn't been great to take it for a ride. I love road bikes and ride an S-Works Roubaix SRAM eTap...

Nice. After you've put some miles on it I look forward to a user review from the perspective of an experienced cyclist.

My Turbo Vado 6.0 arrived at my LBS in Essex, CT, on November 14th. Weather hasn't been great to take it for a ride. I love road bikes and ride an S-Works Roubaix SRAM eTap. Wife bought a Pedego City Commuter last Summer and loves it. Figured I get an eBike to ride with her. As a Specialized fan, I went for the new Turbo Vado 6.0 for features, setup and quality.

Great pics, thanks for sharing! Hope you get some mild weather before Winter sets in. It's been wet and cold in Chicago, temps in the 30's so not much opportunity for me to use the 6.0 since I received it.

Back