My shopping basket

ChezCheese:)

Region
USA
City
Kitsap Co, WA
I wanted a shopping basket that I could just take off the back of my bike and use just like the ones in the grocery store. I bought one off of Amazon in yellow for maximum visibility. About $20. Added some 3M reflective tape for added umph. (I also put some of that tape on the battery.)

I used some 3/8" plywood to stiffen the base. Then I cut and sanded a couple of 1/2" plywood rectangles and placed them strategically so they would just fit in the gaps of the racktime rack that came with my bike. Wood screws & washers and a few bungees and Bob's your uncle. Works great 🙂! I buy my groceries using it, and have the bagger just put the stuff back into the basket.

(Also note that you cannot see the alarm I have jammed underneath the seat.)

Attachments

• _20190918_161539.JPG
    _20190918_161539.JPG
    510.7 KB · Views: 414
  • _20190918_161637.JPG
    _20190918_161637.JPG
    281.5 KB · Views: 410
  • _20190918_161718.JPG
    _20190918_161718.JPG
    172.4 KB · Views: 390
  • _20190918_161746.JPG
    _20190918_161746.JPG
    304.4 KB · Views: 411
Very Nice project build !

The racktime baskets Are flimsy and not durable except 2of them which are 70$ and 100$. The large Baskit and ...i forget the name for 2nd option.

But they come out easily due to their system. My first cheaper Racktime basket lasted about 7months. It had the thinnest aluminum mesh ever. My backpack made huge holes in it over a few months then i got a stronger one that it is better. They do have a nice design.

Q-How is your basket coming off or back on the rack ? Only the bungee cords keep it on ?

The wooden blocks keep it from shifting on the rack, and the bungees keep it on quite well.

Very Nice project build !

The racktime baskets Are flimsy and not durable except 2of them which are 70$ and 100$. The large Baskit and ...i forget the name for 2nd option.

But they come out easily due to their system. My first cheaper Racktime basket lasted about 7months. It had the thinnest aluminum mesh ever. My backpack made huge holes in it over a few months then i got a stronger one that it is better. They do have a nice design.

Q-How is your basket coming off or back on the rack ? Only the bungee cords keep it on ?
Here's the racktime basket loaded up on my Homage at our local farmers market. It literally snaps into place without having to use any bungees. It also has a built in aluminum handle with a neoprene grip. You can get a bungee net that goes over the top and keep everything in place (in use in this photo). Racktime also makes has a lock that keeps the basket or any other attached device secure.
20180929_103247.jpg
0209rs_1.jpg

Here's the racktime basket loaded up on my Homage at our local farmers market. It literally snaps into place without having to use any bungees. It also has a built in aluminum handle with a neoprene grip. You can get a bungee net that goes over the top and keep everything in place (in use in this photo). Racktime also makes has a lock that keeps the basket or any other attached device secure.
View attachment 38777
0209rs_1.jpg
Can it move off easily when need take someone instead of?

Can it move off easily when need take someone instead of?
Pull up on the tab, slide it back less than an inch, pick it up and go. To attach, center it, push forward less than an inch till it clicks.

Last edited:
I have been using an oversized milk crate, zip tied to the rear rack on my commuter bike for about 2 months now, i ride 20 miles a day. I absolutely love the large milk crate over the standard milk crate. It weighs 4 lbs, a little heavy but it's super sturdy and i'm on an electric bike and lost 20 lbs, so the weight doesn't matter to me. What i added was a 52 can cooler bag that fits perfectly inside the milk crate, this allows me to take it to the grocery store and just lift out the cooler and walk into the grocery store, buy all my stuff and throw it back into the container. Lately i have been just leaving the cooler inside and using a shopping cart from the store, as i prefer to just sometimes leave things inside the cooler when i'm in the store (like my helmet). Other thing i like about it is that it allows me to just dump whatever i want inside, it has a small flap at the top also to remove a can quickly but i use that to just dump my gloves or anything else small. I am really thinking about trying to secure the cooler bag to the bike, i love the setup so much i feel like it's a car's trunk. I think that is the biggest thing missing from a bike when you replace it as a vehicle, the space to store things like groceries or clothes. I really wish there was something like my setup but with locking.

I bought this vintage milk crate and added the MIK adapter plate it locks on to the MIK rack and works great.. Have a cargo net I use with it if its a big load. Don't have the finished basket pic with it being painted. Need to get a small vanity plate to hang on it.

Attachments

• Rack.jpg
    Rack.jpg
    493.7 KB · Views: 151
Back