My review of the 2020 Rize X

I have the same noize with the motor when I'm going really slow, It sounds pretty normal to me, think it is the usual slow sound for this motor, so I just avoid going to slowly ;)
While I don't have that bike, mine's a Bafang rear-hub as well. If the noise you're referring to is a kind of "loud-soft-loud-soft..." pulsing of the motor, you might be able to get rid of it by going up or down one physical gear.

I've noticed this as well, where the sensors (cadence in my case) are going at "just the right speed" to be in sync with what i'm guessing is the internal motor gearing.

Going faster is always good, but sometimes traffic might limit that. :)

While I don't have that bike, mine's a Bafang rear-hub as well. If the noise you're referring to is a kind of "loud-soft-loud-soft..." pulsing of the motor, you might be able to get rid of it by going up or down one physical gear.

I've noticed this as well, where the sensors (cadence in my case) are going at "just the right speed" to be in sync with what i'm guessing is the internal motor gearing.

Going faster is always good, but sometimes traffic might limit that. :)

Thanks for the tip! By going faster I meant faster than 5 km/h than the noise stops, it basically just does it at the starts.

Hi MaTar9000,

Merci Beaucoup and thank you very much for starting this thread!

I am also from Quebec... Sherbrooke, Circa Mars.... 1970.... (Oui, c'est moi le vieux maintenant!)

Lol. so I am now living in Ontario and was looking for Fat Tire E-Bikes for my wife and I. We came upon your very detailed review of the Rize X during many long hours of research and found it very helpful. We decided on the Rize Leisure for her in White and the Rize X for myself in Black and placed the order this week with their office in Vancouver. The additional range of the batteries and the superior components for the price helped make the decision. We are in a Valley area by a ski resort (Very small by Quebec standards!) and are really looking forward to the shipment of our Fat-E bikes! It is rare these days to get excited about something! Anyway, we are really looking forward to taking the bikes out on some solitary cruises in what is now a deserted rural area to get some much-needed exercise.

The Rize bikes really stood out to us for the many reasons you mention, especially the higher AMP battery for extended range and the upgraded brakes (Hydraulic instead of Mechanical) at a similar or better price point compared to others. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind, in case you may have the answers:

1- Did you need additional tools to assemble the Rize bike when it arrived other than what was provided or do I need additional wrenches or other tools? (I ask as I do not have all my tools with me in cottage-country so I may need to plan)

2- Do you need to charge the battery when it arrives or is it ready to go?

3- Charging habits: I am wondering what the best practice is to maintain battery life since it is the most expensive thing to replace. Do you recharge only when the battery is empty or do you recharge every time you come home... Or some other best practice...

4- Does the extra weight of the bike make it more difficult to handle? Do you have any advice for my wife who is quite light and may be intimidated by the weight of the bike?

And finally... (Question blague)

5- How many of your friends have now bought E Fat Bikes? (I have a feeling you have sold a few of your friends already!)

I can't answer all your questions, but the battery should have a fairly full charge when it arrives (probably 50%-80%).

Also, for charging habits, here's a couple of good rule of thumbs.

Try to avoid letting it go below 20%, at least on a regular basis, as tempting as it may be. It can negatively affect the number of charge cycles you'll get out of it. You'll also feel the battery sag before it gets to 20%. :)

If you know you won't be riding for a month, it's best to have the battery at between 50% and 80% (closer to 50 is better). Also, don't store in a cold place (like an unheated garage in winter). It's best to be at least around 15 Celsius.

You'll also notice riding in colder weather negatively affects range.

There's whole threads on battery life out there, but these are basic rules of thumb.

As for handling, it'll feel 'different', but she should get used to it after a few rides.

If I may add, I used most of my own tools when I assembled my Rize X. While the all in one tool is a nice idea, I found having using my own allen wrenches and metric wrenches made for faster assembly.

I keep the all in one tool in my riding bag for use on the trail if I have to tighten up something.

When the bike arrived the battery was about 80% charged.

Hi MaTar9000,

I am also from Quebec... Sherbrooke, Circa Mars.... 1970.... (Oui, c'est moi le vieux maintenant!)

Lol. so I am now living in Ontario and was looking for Fat Tire E-Bikes for my wife and I. We came upon your very detailed review of the Rize X during many long hours of research and found it very helpful. We decided on the Rize Leisure for her in White and the Rize X for myself in Black and placed the order this week with their office in Vancouver. The additional range of the batteries and the superior components for the price helped make the decision. We are in a Valley area by a ski resort (Very small by Quebec standards!) and are really looking forward to the shipment of our Fat-E bikes! It is rare these days to get excited about something! Anyway, we are really looking forward to taking the bikes out on some solitary cruises in what is now a deserted rural area to get some much-needed exercise.

The Rize bikes really stood out to us for the many reasons you mention, especially the higher AMP battery for extended range and the upgraded brakes (Hydraulic instead of Mechanical) at a similar or better price point compared to others. I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind, in case you may have the answers:

1- Did you need additional tools to assemble the Rize bike when it arrived other than what was provided or do I need additional wrenches or other tools? (I ask as I do not have all my tools with me in cottage-country so I may need to plan)

3- Charging habits: I am wondering what the best practice is to maintain battery life since it is the most expensive thing to replace. Do you recharge only when the battery is empty or do you recharge every time you come home... Or some other best practice...

4- Does the extra weight of the bike make it more difficult to handle? Do you have any advice for my wife who is quite light and may be intimidated by the weight of the bike?

5- How many of your friends have now bought E Fat Bikes? (I have a feeling you have sold a few of your friends already!)

Hey there, glad you've read the post! To answer your questions, some already did, but here I go with my own experience on the bike:

1. You can assemble the bike with the tool provided, but probably you're better off with your own tools when some torque is needed. I used my own tools.

2. You need to charge it when it arrives, but it's around 80% full already as other mentioned.

3. I'm not an expert on batteries, but according to what I read on Internet the most important thing is never to charge a cold battery, always wait until it warms up a little to charge it up. Else then that, I charge my battery everytime I use it and I try never to let it down under let's say 20%. I already bought an additional battery to be able to do longer runs with the bike. I am now at over 900km on it and it still runs great :)

4. It is quite heavy indeed, my grilfriend is 5'3" and about 125 lbs and she says it's to big and heavy for her. Maybe try the Leisure or another smaller version for her?

5. Haha, that's a good one! Surprisingly, as of yet, none of them. I made it try to about 10 people when I was in a cottage with friends prior to all that Covid thing, most of them told me they will buy one, but none of them pulled the trigger yet, don't know what they are waiting for ;) My girlfriend will buy one as soon as they are back in stock, and I'm pretty sure that when this quarantine ends, some of them will fall into it as well. Including my parents most likely. In the meantime, I enjoy the rides I do everyday!

Hi MaTar9000,

I just re read your thread and see that your wife already opted for the Leisure, I think it's the good choice and that she won't have much problem with it then. The extra weight of the bike gets carried by the motor and the good brakes when stoping, no problem there, it is still way lighter than a moto, which many small women drive around the world. It might be difficult for her to take it up stairs if she had to or move it around when not driving it, but I don't see any other potential problem :)

I just re read your thread and see that your wife already opted for the Leisure, I think it's the good choice and that she won't have much problem with it then. The extra weight of the bike gets carried by the motor and the good brakes when stoping, no problem there, it is still way lighter than a moto, which many small women drive around the world. It might be difficult for her to take it up stairs if she had to or move it around when not driving it, but I don't see any other potential problem :)
Thanks for the reply MarTar! It's great to hear that you are still happy with the bike after all those KMs. I am anxiously waiting for our bikes to arrive...

I will post back on my experience setting them up and first rides.

Cheers!

Hi All, One more question for the group, if I may: The Leisure and X are each listed at 68 lbs. My bike rack is a Swagman hitch mount like this one:

It is rated at 45 lbs per bike. I'm wondering if our 2 Rize bikes (without the battery) could be placed closest to the hitch with the two kids bikes on the outside... I'm hoping the total weight would not exceed the (4 X 45 Lbs) 180 Lbs...

Am I Pushing it? I can't seem to find any info on the weight of the battery to get a better calculation....

Appreciate your input

Yes , pushing, would you want to be behind you at 75 mph and go over a bridge hump or a surprise construction bump knowing what you know? You may lose the bikes , the person behind you doesn’t want to “catch” them. It is a scary thing to happen even when you have done everything correctly and they still start falling off from for example a flat tire. The arms are now not clamped tightly. This happened to me . Insurance won’t cover anything if the rack is over loaded either.

You should note it is only total weight but individual parts have to hold weight past their design. Nuts, bolts , plastic pieces should be designed to hold the additional weight. It is the weakest link and it all fails.

I consider a proper rack part of cost of of ebike game the same as replacing brake pads as maintenance.

Some think I am too extreme on this but I don’t...

Very good points opimax. I was trying to get a feel for how much weight the bike would lose when removing the battery as I can't find that info at the moment If it is not enough to reduce the weight to the rated 45 lbs, then I wouldn't chance it. Do you know of any hitch racks that would be rated for the added weight of the e-bikes?

Thanks.

Hi All, One more question for the group, if I may: The Leisure and X are each listed at 68 lbs. My bike rack is a Swagman hitch mount like this one:

It is rated at 45 lbs per bike. I'm wondering if our 2 Rize bikes (without the battery) could be placed closest to the hitch with the two kids bikes on the outside... I'm hoping the total weight would not exceed the (4 X 45 Lbs) 180 Lbs...

Am I Pushing it? I can't seem to find any info on the weight of the battery to get a better calculation....

Appreciate your input
As a general rule of thumb, a 17ah battery in this style of Reention case is roughly 9 lbs. If you look up the review for the older Spark RX (or any bike) here on EBR, Court almost always lists both the total weight with battery, and battery weight alone, in the spec list.

I've often found his spec list more comprehensive than what's listed on company websites. :)

Most rack manufactures make ebike style racks, check manufactures sites, also search here...because I ride so much and when I retired I bought a van to carry my bikes inside for travels. I still have a Saris rack in the garage which I can use fro extra bikes or wife’s car

As a general rule of thumb, a 17ah battery in this style of Reention case is roughly 9 lbs. If you look up the review for the older Spark RX (or any bike) here on EBR, Court almost always lists both the total weight with battery, and battery weight alone, in the spec list.

I've often found his spec list more comprehensive than what's listed on company websites. :)
OK, in that case, I am way over the 45 lbs even without the battery. I guess I won't be breaking my back trying to load the bikes on the rack after all!

Appreciate your input

I bought this rack when I bought the bike, it is rated for 140 lbs bax, so the bikes minus the batteries would be around 60 lbs, I calculated that for 2 bikes it would be 120 lbs, under the max capacity, but it still exceed the suggested weight per bike.

I've used it for 1 Rize X so far, it wen't great, I'll try it with 2 in the months to come and let you know about it then. So far, for 1 bike, I've made more then 150 km of car, highway and other roads, and had no problems. Can't say if it's going to be good for 2 bikes.

Hey Guys,

I finally received the 2 Rize bikes today! I assembled the Rize X and it was very straightforward. The size and weight of the bike was the biggest eye-opener as I assembled it. Compared to my old mountain bike, this thing is huge! My 12-year-old son is in awe of it and wants his own e-motorcycle now... Sorry Sonny-Boy, you have to get old first! HaHa! I took it out for a quick spin and it takes some getting used to, but it is also immensely fun!

I will assemble my wife's Leisure tomorrow but she is already terrified after seeing the size of the Rize X. I keep trying to explain that the Leisure is smaller and she will be fine but she is nervous. Luckily we have access to a large completely unoccupied parking lot for her to practice.

I will update in a few days. Stay Safe everyone!

Hey Guys,

I finally received the 2 Rize bikes today! I assembled the Rize X and it was very straightforward. The size and weight of the bike was the biggest eye-opener as I assembled it. Compared to my old mountain bike, this thing is huge! My 12-year-old son is in awe of it and wants his own e-motorcycle now... Sorry Sonny-Boy, you have to get old first! HaHa! I took it out for a quick spin and it takes some getting used to, but it is also immensely fun!

I will assemble my wife's Leisure tomorrow but she is already terrified after seeing the size of the Rize X. I keep trying to explain that the Leisure is smaller and she will be fine but she is nervous. Luckily we have access to a large completely unoccupied parking lot for her to practice.

Sounds like you and your wife will have a great time with yout bikes. Keep us posted.

Hey Guys,

Amazing, you will both enjoy your bikes I believe, she won't have much problems maneuvering it once she gets used to it!

So I finally had a chance today to take the Rize X for a ride through the back trails and a local ski hill. All I can say is WOW. The ability to go anywhere with the Fat Tires combined with the effortless acceleration was awesome. I never thought I would be biking straight up a snow-covered ski hill, but I did and it was a snap. I played with the throttle to get a feel for it and the acceleration is quite gradual and doesn't sneak up on you. The bigger size and weight of the bike takes some getting used to after my many years on an older mountain bike. Once you get going though, it is a very natural feeling.

For my wife, we had some struggles getting her comfortable with the Rize Leisure bike so far. She is 5 foot 2 and is intimidated, so I think she has to get over her initial fear of the thing and just get riding on it to get accustomed. We brought it inside and I tilted her seat forward and lowered it further so we will go out and try again tomorrow.

I am actually very interested to compare the difference between the Rize X Torque pedal-assist vs the Leisure's Cadence pedal-assist. I wonder if I will find it noticeable.

Anyway, the X needed to be cleaned off as it was well covered in mud after my adventures today... always a good sign! Cheers, everyone!

IMG-2471.jpg

Back