My next bike..............

OK Len: Get one and I will buy it. I have a Thudbuster already.

http://www.focus-bikes.com

with a rohloff hub installed.

I realize its a tad expensive but I really like the internal hub and much prefer the Impulse motor to Bosch.

If anyone wants a tricked out Neo Carbon with low mileage, pm me.
Be sure to update us on the details when you get it. You might as well start getting the Rohloff wheel built now so it will be all set when the bike arrives next month. Is The New Wheel building the bike for you?

That would be my ideal ebike too. I saw that in the EU catalog but did not want to wait until they get around to importing them here so I got a Turbo S. I have a custom road bike with Gates center track belt and Rohloff and am quite happy with it. I think that would be a great combo on an ebike.

That would be my ideal ebike too. I saw that in the EU catalog but did not want to wait until they get around to importing them here so I got a Turbo S. I have a custom road bike with Gates center track belt and Rohloff and am quite happy with it. I think that would be a great combo on an ebike.
Does the rohloff hub hunt for a gear the way the cheaper internal hubs do. I tried an Alfine and it seems to take a few seconds for the hub to find the gear.

Does the rohloff hub hunt for a gear the way the cheaper internal hubs do. I tried an Alfine and it seems to take a few seconds for the hub to find the gear.

What's the advantage of a rohloff hub? Is it faster than a derailleur?

Looks like a very slick bike overall.

Last edited:
No, in fact its slower. The benefits are: sealed unit with very low maintenance, no chain or derailleur to adjust and clean, cleaner handlebar as you only have one shifter. I also like the aesthetic of not having a derailleur.

It is also very easy to use.

Others can chime in as I am not the expert here.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can shift gears with a Rohloff hub while the bike is not moving (I had done some reading).

No, in fact its slower. The benefits are: sealed unit with very low maintenance, no chain or derailleur to adjust and clean, cleaner handlebar as you only have one shifter. I also like the aesthetic of not having a derailleur.

It is also very easy to use.

Others can chime in as I am not the expert here.
oh ok.... I can see that.. Must be heavy though.

I've used a Rohloff for about 8K miles of commuting before I ordered a custom road bike with Rohloff, a belt and disk brakes to eliminate most of the maintinece. They are slightly heavier than a derailleur system but you can shift at a stop. They are very reliable an have even steps and a range comparable to a triple. You do need to let up on the pedals for a fraction of a second to shift but it's similar to pre-index shifting. An ebike would need a shift sensor which I am think the Focus has. I think think the shifting is very consistent. I can make last second shifts on the steep hills where the other people are missing shits. I would really like an ebike with Rohloff and Gates belt.

I've used a Rohloff for about 8K miles of commuting before I ordered a custom road bike with Rohloff, a belt and disk brakes to eliminate most of the maintinece. They are slightly heavier than a derailleur system but you can shift at a stop. They are very reliable an have even steps and a range comparable to a triple. You do need to let up on the pedals for a fraction of a second to shift but it's similar to pre-index shifting. An ebike would need a shift sensor which I am think the Focus has. I think think the shifting is very consistent. I can make last second shifts on the steep hills where the other people are missing shits. I would really like an ebike with Rohloff and Gates belt.

like to see that road bike :)

I just got off the phone with my bike tech. He loves the rohloff hub but knows me well and suggested the new Shimano Alfine Di2 electronic shifting internal hub. He has installed and worked on them and he said that once they are set up correctly they are almost flawless. He indicated that the speed of the shift can be altered and that the battery that comes with the unit may last months between charges. So, electric motor, electric shifting, and a gates carbon fiber belt. I am talking myself into this....

I just got off the phone with my bike tech. He loves the rohloff hub but knows me well and suggested the new Shimano Alfine Di2 electronic shifting internal hub. He has installed and worked on them and he said that once they are set up correctly they are almost flawless. He indicated that the speed of the shift can be altered and that the battery that comes with the unit may last months between charges. So, electric motor, electric shifting, and a gates carbon fiber belt. I am talking myself into this....

Ive ridden a road bike with the Ultegra Di2 shifting system and it was awesome.. People who own it will never go back.. Pretty pricey though.

Ive ridden a road bike with the Ultegra Di2 shifting system and it was awesome.. People who own it will never go back.. Pretty pricey though.
At this point I am way beyond price in my consideration.

like to see that road bike :)

Link to the builders page:

http://www.winterbicycles.com

A Rohloff is heavier but usually people forget to subtract the weight of the derailleurs etc. I've already lost more than the three pounds riding. You get the same online noise with the Gates belt drives and I am glad I took a chance on the belt drive too. Changing a tire is not a problem with a belt either. I did buy a couple extra belts to keep on hand just in case.

The chain and cassette are the wink links on my Turbo S. A couple days in the rain and it starts to squeak.

A Di2 Alfine with a belt sounds like a good way to go and an ebike doesn't really need the range of the Rohloff.

Link to the builders page:

http://www.winterbicycles.com

A Rohloff is heavier but usually people forget to subtract the weight of the derailleurs etc. I've already lost more than the three pounds riding. You get the same online noise with the Gates belt drives and I am glad I took a chance on the belt drive too. Changing a tire is not a problem with a belt either. I did buy a couple extra belts to keep on hand just in case.

The chain and cassette are the wink links on my Turbo S. A couple days in the rain and it starts to squeak.

A Di2 Alfine with a belt sounds like a good way to go and an ebike doesn't really need the range of the Rohloff.

That is one seriously custom bike. Not really too $ if you compare to a quality cf road bike with ultegra grouppe.

What size tires are you going with? Color?

Back