My New Conduit+

Patrick McNabb

Just recently got my Conduit+ and so far I am very happy with it. It makes a 15km commute with steep hills at either end and two bridges in the middle very tolerable. My only quibble so far happened today. In HIGH mode while pedaling fast, the motor intermittently cut out. This didn't happen when it was under a lot of load and when I got to work I sped around the flat parking lot and it kept happening. Only in HIGH mode. It doesn't happen in ECO or NORMAL. Anybody have any thoughts? It's not a huge problem because if I were pedaling that fast normally I likely wouldn't be in HIGH but still, weird. Misfiring gear change sensors maybe?

I have about 1200km on mine now and it has the cut out problem only in HIGH as you describe. I almost never ride in HIGH as I find NORMAL to be just the right amount of assist. The cut out in no way affects my enjoyment of the bike as I ride it at every opportunity.

Fred

I use HIGH to get up a few hills but I never pedal particularly fast up them so it doesn't seem to happen. As you say, not a huge deal and one that I expect, given it seems to occur on everybody's Conduit+, will eventually be fixed. Surely it's not "as designed"! ;-)

@Patrick McNabb , what speed are you going in High mode when the motor cuts out? If your ebike is programmed to assist up to say 20mph, when you hit that speed the motor stops assisting until the speed drops a bit. That would be normal. In some bikes it's a not too subtle change. Does this sound like what is happening with your Conduit+ ?

@Patrick McNabb , what speed are you going in High mode when the motor cuts out? If your ebike is programmed to assist up to say 20mph, when you hit that speed the motor stops assisting until the speed drops a bit. That would be normal. In some bikes it's a not too subtle change. Does this sound like what is happening with your Conduit+ ?

I did some tests and it cuts out at as little as 12kph. It seems to occur when I pedal fast. It drops out for second then back in then out. The cut out at 32kph (the upper limit) is much smoother than this issue.

@Patrick McNabb that definitely warrants contacting the dealer where you bought the bike if you haven't already and sending info to Trek so that the manufacturer can get this fixed.

The only issue I've had is not turning ON occasionally, neither pressing the controller or battery power buttons works, both display and battery lights are off. Fix, remove battery from cradle(rear rack) then refit it, works every time, until they day I don't have key on me. Will bring it up with shop as bike is only a few weeks old.

I'll try the high speed pedaling issue Patrick mentioned, suspect it is lack of pedal pressure not activating torque sensor.

In regards to hill climbing, I've not had any issues and my bike is quite high geared, 44t chainring 9spd cluster with 700c wheels. I've had to work hard on a couple of very steep hills but still flew up at 12Km/h compared to 5km/h on my MTB. 95% of hills (sealed roads) are not an issue, NB I'm 75kg and biking fit. The only issue I can see with high gearing is not being able to travel slow enough on hills to accompany riders with normal bikes. For larger unfit riders, a lower geared MTB with higher torque engines would be a better option, especially if is to be used regularly on hilly terrain.

One of my concerns with mid drive system was higher wear and tear on drive train, especially derailleur gears. This may not be issue, as I do a lot less gear changes and use considerably higher gears. I've started using assist levels like an additional 3 gears, anytime I need to get back up to cruise speed after slowing down, counter a bit head wind or short incline, just switch the assist up instead of changing gears. In most of these situations I'm riding without assist or in eco mode.

The lack of gearchange detection has not be issue I thought would as Steps system is so responsive. Backing off on pedal pressure during a changed seems to work fine, you just need to adapt your riding to bike. In saying that, the automatic Di2 system would be wonderful, especially when commuting.

A little trick I read about Walk mode, use it to change gears on derailleur drive train before starting off. If you a strong enough while bike is stationary by lifting back wheel off ground.

"One of my concerns with mid drive system was higher wear and tear on drive train, especially derailleur gears.... I've started using assist levels like an additional 3 gears, anytime I need to get back up to cruise speed after slowing down, counter a bit head wind or short incline, just switch the assist up instead of changing gears."

"A little trick I read about Walk mode, use it to change gears on derailleur drive train before starting off. If you a strong enough while bike is stationary by lifting back wheel off ground."

@TrevorB thanks for both those tips. I haven't seen them mentioned before.

LBS has a Conduit+ on sale for $2500. Is that a good deal? Still charging MSRP for the Lift+ which makes it $300 more than the Conduit+. Seems crazy. There is also 1 Dual Sport + in stock for $3000 but I haven't gotten to see / try it because it is at a different location. Very interested in the XM700+ as well, but not sure it's worth $1k more than the Conduit + on sale.

Any help appreciated.

I am still loving mine, 1,600 miles and counting. I did have to put a stronger rear wheel on since I commute on rough roads and carry a fair amount of weight in my panniers so be warned. Spokes were breaking on the brake side of the rear wheel pretty regularly. The new wheel has solved that problem but it was an issue for a bit. Everything else on the bike is functioning as advertised. Not sure if that helps and I cannot compare to the other bikes. I do have the problem of cutting out in high but have no need for it so I could care less. I have no problem hitting the 20 MPH cut-off in Normal.

One other thing, I have noticed no chain wear although I know some people are worried about that. I pretty much only use three gears though (4th, 5th, and 6th).

Has anyone swapped out the front fork for a suspension fork? Any suggestions? The roads here in Boston are tough.

LBS has a Conduit+ on sale for $2500. Is that a good deal? Still charging MSRP for the Lift+ which makes it $300 more than the Conduit+. Seems crazy. There is also 1 Dual Sport + in stock for $3000 but I haven't gotten to see / try it because it is at a different location. Very interested in the XM700+ as well, but not sure it's worth $1k more than the Conduit + on sale.

Any help appreciated.

$2500 is a good deal. Trek has a 2017 version that looks the same as my 2016. I picked mine up for $2400 yesterday. The shop through in some lights, a cage and a bell as well.

Has anyone swapped out the front fork for a suspension fork? Any suggestions? The roads here in Boston are tough.
Welcome aboard, I am in the Boston/Cambridge area as well with 1,700 miles on mine at this point. I have no trouble with the front of the bike but as I said above the rear wheel kept breaking spokes until I switched to a touring rim. I replaced the hub at the same time. Having said that, it should be pretty straightforward to trade out the front forks assuming the new one does not interfere with the light.

Fred

Thanks for the welcome. Love the bike. Has everything I was looking for except the suspension. I tested the XM700+ with the front suspension. The XM 700+ seemed like a smoother ride even at higher speeds. Hoping to add front shocks and Thudbuster seat post to my Conduit will do the trick.

I posted about this on the Shimano forum, but I too have the same issue of the motor cutting out for a couple seconds at a time when in high mode going uphill mostly. Happens at 9 mph frequently but just noticed today it happens even at 14 mph. Otherwise I love this bike. It's only my 4th ride. I bought it used off CL. Not sure if original owner had the same issue. Has anyone heard of Trek or Shimano addressing this issue?

Don't lug it. Downshift to reduce the motor's work load.

You can also install the optional Steps 38t chainring to keep the motor happier.

I posted about this on the Shimano forum, but I too have the same issue of the motor cutting out for a couple seconds at a time when in high mode going uphill mostly. Happens at 9 mph frequently but just noticed today it happens even at 14 mph. Otherwise I love this bike. It's only my 4th ride. I bought it used off CL. Not sure if original owner had the same issue. Has anyone heard of Trek or Shimano addressing this issue?

Solved: I already posted this on another thread, but I took the bike in for a diagnostic. After 45 min of Software updates, the bike no longer clips out under load in High. I did my 16 mi commute to work this morning and no problems. Apparently the software should be updated at least once a year. Now it's a great bike.

Back