My life was threatened....

i’m not sure what the interesting scenario is lol. more of an “everyone sucks here” situation, if even true.
The scenario (or question) I was referring to was buried in the story. If you harm an animal that was attempting to harm you, can you be charged with animal cruelty? Do you let the dog bite you first before using spray?

I had an interesting conversation with a fellow biker at a trailhead this week, that seems appropriate to post here.

He told me he was riding the same trail the previous week when he encountered a guy walking his dog. The dog was on a leash and the owner was letting it take a crap in the middle of the trail! When he made no attempt to clean up the waste, the biker stopped and confronted the belligerent dog owner! The dog was viscous and straining against the leash. The conversation got heated and at one point, the owner let go of the leash letting the dog attack! The biker, who is licensed to carry, quickly pulled his pistol and shot the dog dead before it could reach him!

The police were called and the owner told them the dog was harmless and was shot for no reason. Since there were no witnesses, and it was one word against another, the biker was charged with animal cruelty and faces a heavy fine. He told me his only mistake was not letting the dog bite him first. I told him I though his mistake was confronting the obnoxious dog owner in the first place.

I have no idea if this story happened the way it was described, or even if it's true at all. The fellow rider was quite convincing though and at one point, showed me the pistol. True or not, it raises an interesting scenario. I've encountered my share of viscous dogs on the trail but luckily, have never been attacked. On most occasions, I've been able to evade or outrun an aggressive dog. I do carry dog spray but there have been a couple of times when I wished I had my pistol. I do have my CCP, but for reasons I described in post #19, I no longer carry a gun.

Thankfully, most dogs I encounter would rather love you to death than cause harm. Still, I wonder if you could be charged with animal cruelty if you used spray on an aggressive animal.
Frankly I don't believe the Story that Rider/Shooter told you. The fact that he showed you his Pistol leads me to believe he is full of you know what and just wants to show off.
I frequently ride my eBike which has an attachment to which my Dog is tethered running beside my Bike. There are quite a few Pitbull type Dogs along my route but I never had a problem, quite the contrary usually there is lots of Tail wagging as most Dogs enjoy meet wit each other. If a vicious Dog would attack my 14 month old Dobe Girl, I have a Can of Bear Spray conveniently within easy reach.
While it is annoying and disgusting to see a Dog Owner not cleaning up after his Dog, considering how many Nutcases are out there I am not sure if it is wise to become the Dog Poop Nazi.

Cheers

The scenario (or question) I was referring to was buried in the story. If you harm an animal that was attempting to harm you, can you be charged with animal cruelty? Do you let the dog bite you first before using spray?
I think the answers here very much depend on what state the events happen in and the context of the events.

The rules on the use of deadly force for self-defense are not simple and straightforward and if you own and intend to defend yourself with a weapon you are obligated to know what the law is.

I think the answers here very much depend on what state the events happen in and the context of the events.

The rules on the use of deadly force for self-defense are not simple and straightforward and if you own and intend to defend yourself with a weapon you are obligated to know what the law is.
It's my home state of PA. , where animal abuse is taken very seriously.

It's my home state of PA. , where animal abuse is taken very seriously.
as it should be! i probably got banned i called a smug prick an asshole when he was sitting beside a wolf pup he had muzzled before he killed it,i see you doing this s*it gonna call your hand!( no apologies)

I hear US ebikes are fitted with incident cams, bear spray, drink and gun holders and one button lawyer access.
There's way too much truth to that.

It's interesting to me how the same story, true or not, convinces some people they need to carry a gun and others that they don't. I fall in the later group. Perhaps naively, I'm not afraid to go just about anywhere out in public without going armed. I'm over 70 and have never felt the least need to carry a gun. I have several guns, and enjoy shooting them. My state no longer requires a permit for concealed carry, but I tend to think going armed causes more trouble than it prevents. The guy who claims to have shot the dog was extremely fortunate that the dog owner wasn't also carrying, or one or both people would likely have been killed. But who knows where the truth is with this alleged confrontation.

TT

Last edited:
There's way too much truth to that.

It's interesting to me how the same story, true or not, convinces some people they need to carry a gun and others that they don't. I fall in the later group. Perhaps naively, I'm not afraid to go just about anywhere out in public without going armed. I'm over 70 and have never felt the least need to carry a gun. I have several guns, and enjoy shooting them. My state no longer requires a permit for concealed carry, but I tend to think going armed causes more trouble than it prevents. The guy who claims to have shot the dog was extremely fortunate that the dog owner wasn't also carrying, or one or both people would likely have been killed. But who knows where the truth is with this alleged confrontation.

TT
one reason i dont carry,my 30 second safety may not kick in( my 30 second safety fuze kept me from injuring people, all it takes is one whack from a shelayle or sap and there you go down the road,these bullies do not recognize how fragile the human body is( maybe i should carry a whip antenna or steel cobra?) avoid conflict at all cost,most good martial art teachers will tell you to run if possible, no the rock to the temple is not a good idea either so many ways no way to take back.If you are bullied on the job and the boss wont take care of it find another job,its not cheap entertainment,i told my cellie do not watch pod fights they are not entainment.

I had a old neighbor who's dog would poop in my yard and the owner didn't clean it up. So I saved a bread bag and would pick it up and toss it behind the bush by their front door. Then, I would toss poo on their roof and the poo would fall into the gutter on the roof. The flies during the hot summer was priceless as they liked to bum on the porch. They eventually moved (got evicted) and took their pooping dog with them.

Side note: Their (poop dogs) kid would dig in my yard when the city was repairing sewer lines. I'd fill the holes back in and the kid would dig again. So I saved some poo and put it in the hole and filled it back in. Next day the dumb kid was digging and got poo all over his hands! He freaked out! Till this day I call him "Turd hands" when I see him.

the idea that this vigilante could pull his gun and shoot a vicious dog on the leash of a person within conversation range (which is what, 5-10 feet meaning the dog is a lot closer) once released strains any kind of credibility. that dog would be on him in a split second and likely way inside range. and if the dog was already on him, well, then he’d have evidence of the attack.

This here. Somebody is full of what the dog was allegedly depositing.

Look, you just can't be even marginally confrontational with people anymore. Some folks will end you for looking at them sideways these days - let alone offer pointed criticism about their behavior.

I really didn't believe his story either, at least not in it's entirety. The point was, just how far would you go to protect yourself from a vicious animal?

I had a old neighbor who's dog would poop in my yard and the owner didn't clean it up. So I saved a bread bag and would pick it up and toss it behind the bush by their front door. Then, I would toss poo on their roof and the poo would fall into the gutter on the roof. The flies during the hot summer was priceless as they liked to bum on the porch. They eventually moved (got evicted) and took their pooping dog with them.

Side note: Their (poop dogs) kid would dig in my yard when the city was repairing sewer lines. I'd fill the holes back in and the kid would dig again. So I saved some poo and put it in the hole and filled it back in. Next day the dumb kid was digging and got poo all over his hands! He freaked out! Till this day I call him "Turd hands" when I see him.
i think you handled that admirably,i was backing into a parking slot a foodloin and a woman in a big ford suv shot in there( with a smirk) she didnt even apologize dont know what she would have done if a trailer hitch had got hung in her fascia(didnt press the issue though theres more than enough conflict going around these days-honestly think the ion emissions from the local papermill have an effect on peoples behaviour in this area-especially woman and some guys)

they do have electric devices for your handle bars ,(bought one for my wife) and it is 110 decibels it does 6 different weird sounds the first being a bicycle bell then a 1920 electric door bell, a buzz sound, then a reverberating (whemp, whelp, whemp), The LAST One says, get the heck out of my way, off of the path, away from the beautiful things everyone out here is enjoying, (deep breath, and if you have a problem with is, or me, or bicyclist, especially electric bicyclist, leave the planet, take a lawn chair to the dark side of a celestial "BLACK HOLE", and sit there all alone and contemplate your negative behavior towards others. Find your happy place , and spend some time meditating on it, and return to earth and us riders and share the trail gently with nary a heavy carbon footprint. and we shall share the planet and dwell in harmony as you watch us ride while you walk peacefully on the same trail, or join us in the new electronic, rechargeable, super fun and health promoting riding. Get an E bike smile man, and you will understand. ....these buses can be found on Amazon , and work very well, the last mode, the 6th mode may not be available on the one you purchase. Ride Free, enjoy the ride. Try not to give your serenity away, it was too costly to gain, and it belongs to you, you 've earned. enjoy it.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpeg
    IMG_3038.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 30
What a story! I was hit by a bus while riding my bike once, but that was more than five years ago, and the memory is slowly fading for me. Thankfully, I came out of it alright, and now I have other priorities to focus on. These days, my main concern is finishing my homework on time. With so many assignments piling up, it can get quite overwhelming. Hopefully, https://academized.com/buy-persuasive-essay will be able to assist me. Their support could be just what I need to manage my workload effectively and ensure I stay on track with my studies. It's a relief to know that help is available.

Last edited:
Back