My First Ride On My First eBike, Biktrix Juggernaut

DaveinMtAiry

After years of research I found the one. I have always been frustrated at my inability to walk out the front door and go for a bike ride, I'm 60, 250 pounds and my area is extremely hilly. I needed a bike with the torque necessary and everyone I rode or researched in my price range of $2,000 felt a bit under powered.

So I rolled the dice and purchased a bike I had yet to ride. I can't tell you have relieved I was to find the 750W Juggernaut had all the power I need to climb these giant hills. Below are a few shots I took on my first ride around my neighborhood. This spot was at the end of a giant climb, 1 KM from home. I gotta figure out how to change the odometer to miles. The ride was even better than I had anticipated, so much fun.

Attachments

• ebike1.jpg
    ebike1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 496
  • ebike2.jpg
    ebike2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 494
Last edited:
Welcome to the site. Enjoy the new hobby.
I'm fortunate that the 15% grades in my county are at the end of the ride out north. So I was able to build up my strength and wind over two years before tackling them. Having electricity, I can take the hilly back road out there, instead of the flat berm of state hwy 3 where cars whiz by. I still pedal a lot.

This bike is perfect. At the top of the climb I got off, obviously, and felt it in my legs. So I knew I was getting somewhat of a workout but it didn't kick my ass and destroy my experience. I know now that I can conquer the big hills at the highest setting, well except for one really long one that I haven't gotten the courage to try yet. As I ride more my goal is to ride at a lower power setting.

2nd day out and I apparently rode 40 Kilometers. I had no idea I went that long. Battery was on it's last bar. I noticed the last climb home was much harder than the first day, do ebikes typically lose a bit of power if the battery has discharged?

Yes you lose power, voltage goes down as it discharges. Wattage is volts X amps. Full battery will be outputting more watts at the start of the ride than at the end. Not familiar with your bike but for example a fresh 48v battery at full charge is 54v and has a low voltage of around 43v. Wattage would go from 810 watts to 645 watts at close to empty. Makes sense? I just used 15 amps as a constant, this varies with bikes, think you get the idea. Have fun.

Yeah that makes sense but I never figured on that when I started this. I just figured the battery would put out the same amount and as long as it had a charge the bike would perform the same. This is good info to know and just reinforces my need to dial back the power on the flats.

Sounds to me like you quickly discovered the healthy game that is built in to every ebike. They are so much fun, you want to go further. The only way to do that is for you to do more work and ask less of your bike during the ride. The beauty of it is that it is in the very nature of them to encourage you to get in better shape, putting you in control both your exertion and the bike's expenditure of electrons. Welcome to the fun zone.

Sounds to me like you quickly discovered the healthy game that is built in to every ebike. They are so much fun, you want to go further. The only way to do that is for you to do more work and ask less of your bike during the ride. The beauty of it is that it is in the very nature of them to encourage you to get in better shape, putting you in control both your exertion and the bike's expenditure of electrons. Welcome to the fun zone.

Yes well said. This thing is like crack, I had to ride before heading out for Easter Sunday, today I knocked off work early to try a mountain bike trail for the first time. The shorter than expected battery life is a blessing, as you said it will force me to work harder and rely less on the bike power,

So yesterday I used it as a mountain bike for the first time. I chose a moderate trail and maybe should have started with an easier one, it reminded me of when I started skiing as I was very unsure of myself on the tight downhill parts. I had heard about the muddy low spots but since it hadn't rained I thought I was going to be OK. I was not, one area was really bad. But the Juggernaut plowed right through it, so impressed.

Last edited:
After years of research I found the one. I have always been frustrated at my inability to walk out the front door and go for a bike ride, I'm 60, 250 pounds and my area is extremely hilly. I needed a bike with the torque necessary and everyone I rode or researched in my price range of $2,000 felt a bit under powered.

So I rolled the dice and purchased a bike I had yet to ride. I can't tell you have relieved I was to find the 750W Juggernaut had all the power I need to climb these giant hills. Below are a few shots I took on my first ride around my neighborhood. This spot was at the end of a giant climb, 1 KM from home. I gotta figure out how to change the odometer to miles. The ride was even better than I had anticipated, so much fun.
I made this hill climber 3 years ago. Keep riding!

Attachments

• DSCN00442.jpg
    DSCN00442.jpg
    635.2 KB · Views: 9
I made this hill climber 3 years ago. Keep riding!

Nice. And thanks for replying to my thread. My only regret is not purchasing the longer life battery. I never anticipated riding so far and find I'm out of juice for big hill close to our house

on my rides I carry 2 spare batteries, need ot make sure I have over 100 miles any time i decide to go, may want to come back late... Stromer batteries are expensive but this is what i do... FUN and healthy!

on my rides I carry 2 spare batteries, need ot make sure I have over 100 miles any time i decide to go, may want to come back late... Stromer batteries are expensive but this is what i do... FUN and healthy!

I may have to break down and get a backup that I'll keep charged and in the saddle bags.

I am finding my battery is just not giving me enough range as I ride further and further. But doesn't 2 spares throw off the balance? I'm not even sure I want to carry one additional spare for this reason.

I carry 1 on each side on my panniers. When moving don’t notice /used to it. If I want to go fast and long no other choice

Back