My first e-bike Allant 7+;

Allant7+

I have been looking to get a E bike since February of this month when the pandemic started Mostly for a 20 km daily commute and leisure riding on weekends with light trail/gravel riding being a rare event. . The first street bike that I got was a Strommer ST1 elite, a discontinued model, from Amego. I had to return the bike due to pathetic customer support and continuous ongoing issues with the bike. A detailed review of the store is in the works.

Subsequently I bought an Allant 7+ from Sweet Petes. It’s a solid bike with great locks and I’ve put in almost 300 km in four weeks. I tried specialized Vado 4.0, Benno E scout, Verve 2.0 and Giant commuter before finalizing Allant 7+.

My thoughts

Looks

Quite a stunner with integrated battery, nice navy blue Color and a solid look. But the Vado was a notch higher in my rating for looks.

Motor
A responsive motor that can help you ride longer and faster with most hills not being a issue. The mid drive motor is not silent. It always makes some hissing/whirring/brushing sound especially in lower gears. It’s definitely not noisy but expect some noise that you either get used to or with better gear usage reduce it to a minimum.

Components
The Bosch Purion is too basic and lacking blue tooth integration with the phone. Vado 4.0, Allant 8+ have much better displays. Fork suspension is decent. I swapped the seat stem with trek verve 2+ suspension seat post which eased the road bumps marginally. However, I am not happy with it and will upgrade to thudbuster or Kinekt soon. A good saddle but I was not fitted and have ordered a better fitting saddle. A decent headlights and pannier rack that is good enough to start commuting from day one. A solid, reliable and gear kick stand.

Ride
Its a great Commuter bike to ride. Solid ride that is hopefully reliable with no issues plaguing it. The raw power, responsiveness and fun factor is most likely lower than other ebikes. But it’s not at all dull and monotonous. On a flat road it can easily go to 25km/hr with 50% of your effort in turbo mode. Keeping it above 28 and below 32 km/hr to have the motor assisting you does need effort and judicious gear selection. i have gone up 49 km/hr on long downhill slopes and the bike feels solid. Bumps are transmitted and felt but mostly tolerable. The ride position is mild foreword aggressive position and definitely not the upright comfortable position on trek verve 2+.

Issues and sweet customer support from Sweet Pete’s(a detailed review of this super friendly bike shop is in the works)
My chain snapped while riding in week 2 and I had loads of fun to walk the bike 5kms home. The bike has a walk assist mode where continued pressing of + button on the display kicks in the motor and assists you to push a heavy ebike forward. If chain breaks, you are stuck and can’t use it. Even otherwise it’s not too ergonomic as you need to keep pushing a button while walking your bike. Chain was replaced quickly, under warranty and I was educated in possible reasons chain snapped.

I had a flat and was very Irritated early morning to see that as I was about up start my commute. I had maintained tire pressures and was expecting no flats from riding on proper roads. Again flat tire changed free of charge and pointers given to me to prevent flats.

Upgrades/modifications planned:
A seat suspension post - 300-450$ (CAD)
A better saddle that fits me - (100 $)
A better gps/display that integrates with my phone - Kiox or Lezyne( 200-500$)
A upright /sweeping up position handlebar that can help me get a upright more comfortable position for short stretches.Bike handle
Spoke lights and possibly some bike rider safety featured light

Final thoughts
As in life, you can’t have everything in your first e-bike. I strongly recommend it. Be prepared to spend a minimum of 1000 $ more for locks and upgrades/modification. It’s a lifestyle change and expensive one with upfront costs for newbies like me. I am trying to exercise self control and not indulge myself further by upgrading to a 8+. However, critical to new e-bike users is support and prompt repair from your local bike shop. Don’t buy a better brand or bike if customer support is not top notch.

Attachments

• F2C4FB68-A801-4D73-BD33-C617D89AD644.jpeg
    F2C4FB68-A801-4D73-BD33-C617D89AD644.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 467
  • 66E418E9-A428-43B4-ABC9-A339C053B8F6.jpeg
    66E418E9-A428-43B4-ABC9-A339C053B8F6.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 473
  • 35BF8297-3DAB-448F-9D6A-A8CB48171391.jpeg
    35BF8297-3DAB-448F-9D6A-A8CB48171391.jpeg
    317.5 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:
I agree with many of your observations. I feel very stable on mine and I ride at least half the time on rough gravel roads. I have only felt squirrely when I was hauling a large box that was strapped on off center and I hit some new loose gravel. I like my bike more and more. I find I look for reasons to ride. And definitely plan on spending some on accessories. Upgraded helmet, fun new panniers so I can go to the grocery store, etc.

Ditto. There are some things that could be better but really love mine with a different seat, bar ends, a cheap suspension seat post and different pedals added. I’ve pondered an upgrade to the Kiox for some more information but it’s pricey and I can certainly enjoy the bike w/o it.
My favorite is the Allant+7 has the Performance Line CX motor and it climbs even major hills reliably and easily. The bike is solid, smooth, and steady on almost every surface I've ridden on including a single track mtb trail. It’s pricey but I have 3 Trek shops within 45 minutes and more within an hour or 2. That said, I haven't really needed any of them for any kind of repair beyond a flat tire I could have changed myself. I just bought a second one (Lowstep) for my wife.😎👍

So far I have been very pleased with the stock items. The fit is very good and I am afraid to mess with it much. I may however consider adding a suspension seatpost. I have however spent money on accessories, bags, new helmet, flat kit.

Ditto. There are some things that could be better but really love mine with a different seat, bar ends, a cheap suspension seat post and different pedals added. I’ve pondered an upgrade to the Kiox for some more information but it’s pricey and I can certainly enjoy the bike w/o it.
My favorite is the Allant+7 has the Performance Line CX motor and it climbs even major hills reliably and easily. The bike is solid, smooth, and steady on almost every surface I've ridden on including a single track mtb trail. It’s pricey but I have 3 Trek shops within 45 minutes and more within an hour or 2. That said, I haven't really needed any of them for any kind of repair beyond a flat tire I could have changed myself. I just bought a second one (Lowstep) for my wife.😎👍
Very true. I blew my next 2 years budget on this bike by adding a crane creek thudbuster 4G and a kiox. I got a trek verve for my wife! I wish trek could sell a bike with most of these things included. I have spent 10% of bike value on locks and another 20% on accessories. But boy it’s so very fun to ride....

Attachments

• 000BDA3E-4E65-4362-9408-072A5FA925DF.jpeg
    000BDA3E-4E65-4362-9408-072A5FA925DF.jpeg
    487.4 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
So far I have been very pleased with the stock items. The fit is very good and I am afraid to mess with it much. I may however consider adding a suspension seatpost. I have however spent money on accessories, bags, new helmet, flat kit.
I would highly recommend a suspension seat post and to ensure saddle fit is good. Pls see my response to Dallant.

The basic Bontrager suspension seatpost is all I use and it’s only $30. That and my Serfas E-Gel seat are a great combo for me.

Last edited:
Back