My Cigabyke Groove shuts down on me.

Glow

I'm having an issue with my Gigabyke Groove electric bike ( 750w 48v 14h) has total shutdown after hitting little over 10 mph. I have to disconnect and reconnect battery cable to get it to restart. I've checked the battery voltage and it shows 46v. I also have some issues from time to time that when I turn the bike on it speeds up suddenly, without me touching the throttle. Yeah not good.. any advice would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

PDXzap what percentages should I be looking for? I think my charger may be bad then cause its showing me green

I looked up the Groove. You said 48v 14ah so I'll assume you have the lead acid battery which I'll assume is an SLA type.

For SLA, a 48v battery would read around 43.2v empty and around 55.2v full.
If it's safe for you to do so, I'd check the voltage when being charged. The charger voltage should be, just guessing, somewhere between 57-60v.

Last edited:
I'm sorry I just checked and it's 48v 20ah and it's lithium.. what would be good for that?

My controller starts dropping out on my 48 v LI-ion battery at about 42 volts. That is up hills, it still will run on flats to 40. Luna's table for 13 stack says 39.8 v is 5% charge. Higher current draw up hills causes voltage drop due to internal resistance. Full charge is 54.6 incidently.
See the post in maintenance I made previously how to check a new battery for bad connections before the 30 day warrenty runs out. I loaded one fully charged with 15 ohm resistors to 4.5 amps, voltage collapsed to 11 indicating an internal lack of connections. It had 11 stacks parallel, maybe 1 was working when I received it.

Last edited:
Back