My brother wants a Dost mid motor

tlippy

Trying to convince my brother that the R1U LMT'D is a better bike than this: https://dostbikes.com/product/kope/
He's got the hots for a mid drive and I'm telling him that a rear hub is better because there's less strain on the drive train. Plus the LMT'D is $1000 less. I have to admit the Dost looks good on paper but is a mid hub really any better?

Dost is cadence sensor vs LMTD torque. The riding experience of cadence vs torque might be the determining factor.

I'm one that doesn't really care about price and do like the Dost a lot. In fact I was going to purchase one for show and tell but think you both have convinced me to hold off as my interest in Torque has swung me in that direction. I presently own an Aventon Level, a Juice and a Rad and looking at OHM. The Juice has both Torque and Cadence which has given us somewhat a chance to play with both technologies. Not the purest sense of Torque but Hey...It was a start and have to give Juice credit for trying. There seems to be a lot happening for the new year and with the delays in shipping it will give us a chance to see what may be available in the E bike arena. I'm in the market for a number of bikes for a group that is affiliated with the Rails to Trails in Pennsylvania www.railstotrails.org and want to thank you both with regard to your reviews in helping us to hold for the time being. As we all know and depending on your liking there seems to be something for everybody but do love Torque over Cadence.

Last edited:
Mid drives are fantastic, great for off road and climbing but The Dost is over priced imo,you could get a bike with a Bafang Ultra for less cash! no way i would buy a Bafang BBS02 powered bike over a Bafang Ultra no way.

I'm one that doesn't really care about price and do like the Dost a lot. In fact I was going to purchase one for show and tell but think you both have convinced me to hold off as my interest in Torque has swung me in that direction. I presently own an Aventon Level, a Juice and a Rad and looking at OHM. The Juice has both Torque and Cadence which has given us somewhat a chance to play with both technologies. Not the purest sense of Torque but Hey...It was a start and have to give Juice credit for trying. There seems to be a lot happening for the new year and with the delays in shipping it will give us a chance to see what may be available in the E bike arena. I'm in the market for a number of bikes for a group that is affiliated with the Rails to Trails in Pennsylvania www.railstotrails.org and want to thank you both with regard to your reviews in helping us to hold for the time being. As we all know and depending on your liking there seems to be something for everybody but do love Torque over Cadence.
This is the brother I mentioned above. I was going to buy an eBike to keep in AZ for the winter and he and I have been in discussion about choices. Truthfully, my 700 is perfect. Not having any eBike experience is also probably a benefit. I don't know any better! The terrain in YUMA is flat and asphalt. No bike trails near me so the use is in an RV Park picking up my mail. The smart decision would be to just transport the 700 from OR to AZ each year.

Dude you got the Hub motors covered,go for something ith an Ultra! its a Mid drive and it has both torque and cadence.

Dost is using ancient mid drive technology from bafang. None of their new motors. It’s the most bizarre thing ever seen coming from a new start up. And no, ancient does not translate to being Any more reliable.

Dost is using ancient mid drive technology from bafang. None of their new motors. It’s the most bizarre thing ever seen coming from a new start up. And no, ancient does not translate to being Any more reliable.
i agree 100%, i dont get it..

Is ULTRA only available from Ali Express? That is one neat bike!
Biktrix and Rize Bike both sell bikes ith Ultra Motors for $2600!
The Biktrix Ultra 1000/the Rize RX/ The Rize RX Pro are all Ultras!
i ould never buy anything from Ali Express..........sorry my double U key is not orking lol

My friend Chris has a Dost Drop. Much heavier then the LMT'D but a little more technically advance with the ability to connect two batteries and drain power from both at the same time. Brakes include a power shutoff when applied, rack and fenders and adjustable stem included. The quality seems better then the Ride1up but your paying about $1000.00 more. Chris is 77 and he loves driving at speed with very little pedaling effort with the cadence sensor. For him it is a better fit.

Back