My Archon Range so far...

Ayl

I just got back in from ebiking a total of 45 miles. This morning I decided to go out and do a route I've done before to test the range on one battery that's at 52v 17.5ah, with the new Archon Controller. Previously with the default Bafang Ultra controller, my range was around 25-27 miles for my area and riding style. Towards the end of my route I wasn't able to drain the battery enough to have the BMS kick in and stop providing juice. Closer to home I swapped to a new battery since I was now off the hike and bike trails and dealing with regular street traffic.

Here's the starting stats. At 0 miles, the Battery is at 55.8v, and at 81%.
1596404185183.png
1596404860951.png

Ending stats. At 41.6 miles, the Battery is at 43.4 volts, and at 0%.
1596404978690.png
1596405007531.png

I have no idea what Magicks are at play here, but I like it! 😁

To everyone who's good at math feel free to crunch the numbers to estimate the miles per watts, but please show your work so I can learn it. ;)

Next weekend I'm planning to go a different route, and ebike around the White Rock Lake trails in Dallas. The trail is long enough, and more importantly safe enough, to see how many miles I can ebike until the battery stops providing juice to the motor.

1596405876557.png

With archon x1, Broadly speaking you did ~ 42 miles with 712 wh (81% of 880wh pack).
That’s roughly 17wh/ mile.

With stock controller Under same conditions you got at 27 mile range, it would be 26wh/ mile.

So you are getting (26-17)/26=35% more efficiency than stock. That is crazy awesome.
Are you running at 2300W ?

Reactions: Ayl
What was you average speed and total elevation gain?
I'd put my average speed at 18 mph. Here's what Google lists for the elevation on the planned portion of the ride:
1596417319781.png

With archon x1, Broadly speaking you did ~ 42 miles with 712 wh (81% of 880wh pack).
That’s roughly 17wh/ mile.

With stock controller Under same conditions you got at 27 mile range, it would be 26wh/ mile.

So you are getting (26-17)/26=35% more efficiency than stock. That is crazy awesome.
Are you running at 2300W ?
Thank you for the Math, and yes, I'm running my Ultimate Commuter at 2300W. 🙂

I have no idea what Magicks are at play here, but I like it! 😁

Same here. It's sad to see people throwing money at Ultra based bikes with the stock controller. What do you think of the smoothness?

Same here. It's sad to see people throwing money at Ultra based bikes with the stock controller. What do you think of the smoothness?
I'm totally digging the smoothness. Looking back at the older controller I couldn't get to the upper speed as quickly and evenly like the Archon.

Yehaw! I am down with my purchase as well Ayl!

I was away when my Archon 1 at 2300W arrived. This weekend I was able to install the Archon 1 motor in my Lunacycles Apollo. Unfortunately, I do not have a good baseline on the original Luna modded stock controller but the Archon most definitely has a more controlled power delivery. Far and away smoother and more responsive. As Ayl mentions it is easier to shift up as you can depend on the smooth power delivery to help you spin up to next gear change more than my previous motor.

My battery is 52v 1100wh. As my battery is still new and balancing, I started with a full 58.1v charge and rode quite hard actually and covered 32.6 miles ending with 48.5v. This with a cargo of about 15 lbs in my Ortlieb rear panniers and elevation change was about 700ft. The Apollo is about 60 lbs and I am about 225 unfortunately. More later when I can do a full write up and run Strava etc. I just wanted to say I think I am extremely pleased.

This is my first e-bike and now it is more what I originally envisioned for my "fusion" build of the Apollo. I can put as much effort into the ride as I want but ultimately get to where I am going at up to 30 mph. I rode at 30 mph for a stretch of about 2 miles before I had to slow to a socially responsible speed. I topped 36 mph in a speed run with either 44/11 or 44/10 gearing but again this was all on this charge. I am not sure if I got onto the smallest cog or not. I think 40 mph is easy but I want to check and re-adjust my derailleur and do it where I have enough breathing room to spin out each gear and look down to confirm my gears!

.... I rode at 30 mph for a stretch of about 2 miles before I had to slow to a socially responsible speed. I topped 36 mph in a speed run with either 44/11 or 44/10 gearing but again this was all on this charge. I am not sure if I got onto the smallest cog or not. I think 40 mph is easy but I want to check and re-adjust my derailleur and do it where I have enough breathing room to spin out each gear and look down to confirm my gears!
Reading, "a socially responsible speed" gave me a chuckle. 😄
Thanks for commenting. It's good to know other users of the Archon controller are experiencing the same benefits on their ebikes. I've ridden up to 38 mph on a particular road, and haven't had a need to go 40 mph. So far, Eco PAS levels 1-3 have been taking care of me. However, I do want to see how fast I can go and play around with Eco PAS 4, 5, and the Sport modes. Like you mentioned, I first need to find a place with enough breathing room to safely run the speed test. 👍

so excited to get this done end of the month
please keep up the reports on mileage increases

Back