Mud guards for Moscow Plus

Silvercat

Hi,
I attached the light and rack kit to my Moscow Plus 29. I notice that the rack leaves very little space between the tire and the bottom of the rack. Has anyone figured out how to install a mud guard over that rear wheel? Or perhaps the only solution is to install a partial mud guard? There is absolutely not enough space between the rack and the tire. If only the rack were designed to leave about one half inch more clearance.
Thanks!

Hi,
What am I talking about? As I stated in my email, the rear carrier/rack kit I purchased from Leon’s Cycle, designed for the Moscow bikes does NOT allow sufficient clearance above the rear wheel to allow for the installation of a mud guard.
Your set up looks very good.
But, the picture you show is clearly a different rear carrier/rack, NOT the one sold by Leon’s Cycle (simply check their web sit to confirm).
It does not make sense that I would need to replace by bike rear carrier. I will continue to find a logical solution.
Thanks.

Okay I didn't know that you purchased it from Leon Cycle.
And the bike above isn't mine.
Is this what you purchased?

I was hoping it to be height adjustable, but looks like it's not :(
Hi,
Thank you...really appreciate your trying to help.
Yes, I purchased that kit you displayed. Unfortunately, the manufacturer made a huge error in not allowing sufficient clearance between the tire and the bottom of that carrier. It would simply have been a matter of using more caution to allow another inch or two clearance. Just an extra inch or two on the ‘arms‘ of that carrier...a very, very simple design adjustment.
Similarly, the placement of the water bottle cage screws was absolutely terrible...should have been much closer to the stem.
Oh well, at least the bike rides very well!! And, I have far more pressing health issues to deal with.

BTW, that pictured bike is exactly what I have.
Thanks again and safe riding!

Hey if you are using the NCM rack, I installed SKS Beavertail fenders front and rear on my Moscow+.
They fit without modification under the rack on the back.
The front required a bit of modification, I had to flip a bracket upside down and literally chop off a few inches of the front fender but it worked.

Here's a bit more detail on the modification

I am really happy with the fenders and they are removable without tools too! Work perfect and cheap.

Also you comment about needing an extra inch of clearance is spot on. No idea why they didn't set it an inch higher. I considered putting a spacer under the bolts but it moves the rack back more than up.

Last edited:
Hi,
Thanks! One question, do you think that will fit with a 29 inch tire?
I can barely get my small finger between the tire and the rack bottom.
I would like to talk to the person who designed that rack. Surely, it would have not been too difficult to have that NCM reach one inch higher. NCM needs to do the right thing by replacing that rack with a properly constructed one.
Thanks again!

Hi,
Thanks! One question, do you think that will fit with a 29 inch tire?
I can barely get my small finger between the tire and the rack bottom.
I would like to talk to the person who designed that rack. Surely, it would have not been too difficult to have that NCM reach one inch higher. NCM needs to do the right thing by replacing that rack with a properly constructed one.
Thanks again!

The silly thing is if they would even just move the rack bosses up the frame a couple inches it would solve the gap issue. No major re-engineering needed or extra materials, just a change to their welding jig.

I can't promise about a 29" tire. On mine I can wiggle my index finger between the tire and the rack and turn my finger on edge. So just about 3/4" or ~2 cm of room to fit the fender in. With it zip tied to the rack (I drilled 2 holes in my fender) it absolutely never hits the tire.

Not sure if it's worth mentioning but while I use the NCM rack, when I ordered it I got it from another e-bike supplier in Toronto Canada and they shipped it so poorly that after I'd installed it I realized it was bent to one side so I put it in a vise and twisted/bent it sideways and then spread the supports a bit. Pain the bum to get it properly aligned. I mention it only in case I effected the gap without realizing but I don't think I did.

Back