MTB 'Type' Riders (But Not Really Into Hard Riding) Poll

reed scott

I gave up road bikes in my early thirties. Mostly due to a car door opening into me ( headlong over the door into parallel parked other car after finishing a century ride ) and it took two years before I could stand bending over the bars and looking up. So I got my first MTB. Even then it was a couple more years before I could ride without excessive pain. Still can't ride very long these 35 years later.

I mostly got into MTB type bikes for the more upright riding position but soon decided that this configuration for a bike was really the most versatile set up. I used to ride my Diamondback around town with slick tires. Now it's Ebike time as soon as mine arrives. I bet there are lots of people in the same boat. Why do you ride MTBs if you are not a dedicated trail rider?

Not being a hard-core rider for sure, I use my bike mostly to get to/from work. So, when researching what bike to get for my 2nd ebike, I knew I wanted a commuter type with geometry set up for a more upright, comfortable riding position.I believe, though, with a tire change, I can take it mild off roading to switch it up a bit when the mood strikes.

Not being a hard-core rider for sure, I use my bike mostly to get to/from work. So, when researching what bike to get for my 2nd ebike, I knew I wanted a commuter type with geometry set up for a more upright, comfortable riding position.I believe, though, with a tire change, I can take it mild off roading to switch it up a bit when the mood strikes.

Bought a Trek 2021 Powerfly 4 so that I can go pavement, gravel and light trails. Fun

I have chronicled wife's ebikes, from converting her Specialized Roll with a Bafang hub kit, then to a Giant/LIV Amiti, which she really likes.
We just got back from a couple of weeks touring Arizona, I got a lot of seat time in riding hardcore mountain bike trails, loved it. At one of the parks there was a nice sweeping smooth dirt path that was very scenic so I thought I would get wifey to come along for a casual cruise through the desert. But instead of going to the smooth part, we left camp on a side-trail which I had forgotten had some washes to traverse, and low and behold the very first one she missed the curving turn going in, got off the trail, and hit a big bush at the bottom of the ravine, went over the bars and landed on her face. Her sunglasses indented her skin next her eye, and she was covered in dead grass. She cried. I felt awful, surely it was my fault, right??? LOL She's okay, but bruised ego, and just not the right bike for even modest little dirt path.

I'm surprised she's ready to tackle it again, and we talked about a hardtail or even a full suspension mountain bike as an upgrade to hers. I have a second set of wheels for my TranceE with road tires on them, so a quick axle swap and mine turns into a comfortable road bike. I just lock out the suspension, it works just the same as my mostly road-only Explore that I got first. So we would do the same for her, either swap tires, or even wheels, and have dual use of the bike. It's about a $1200 upgrade if we sold her old bike, which seems like a bargain compared to having two complete ebikes.

So even with a full suspension mountain bike she would only use it at about half capacity. So what, right? If it fills the bill. So she test rode one and found it easier to ride and easier to turn and control. Well, wonder of wonders. So we're looking at a strong possibility of making the upgrade. It would still get mostly used on the road or on paved bike paths.

I bought my Haibike Trekking 9.0 because I wanted a commuter bike that could do everything. And it’s been great. In no way do I think of myself as hard core, but after discovering some dirt trails and how much I enjoy them (truly getting away from it all) I think my next bike will be a dirt bike that’s commuter capable instead of street bike that’s dirt capable.

I bought my Haibike Trekking 9.0 because I wanted a commuter bike that could do everything. And it’s been great. In no way do I think of myself as hard core, but after discovering some dirt trails and how much I enjoy them (truly getting away from it all) I think my next bike will be a dirt bike that’s commuter capable instead of street bike that’s dirt capable.

I bought a Surface604 Shred. Works perfectly for my riding preferences and style. Class 3 ebikes are limited in where we can ride in the Mid-Peninsula Regional Open Space District however. That said, there is a ton of great places to ride within the confines of the Santa Cruz mountains to get your trail fix, and then on Monday, ready for the commute.

I bought a Surface604 Shred. Works perfectly for my riding preferences and style. Class 3 ebikes are limited in where we can ride in the Mid-Peninsula Regional Open Space District however. That said, there is a ton of great places to ride within the confines of the Santa Cruz mountains to get your trail fix, and then on Monday, ready for the commute.
I just googled that, nice bike, pretty much exactly what I’m talking about. While I would love to get out of Iowa, and will one day, one thing I’m surprised to see is all this talk of class 1,2,3 and where you can ride them. Around here if it’s not blowing smoke and making noise...nobody cares. So when I’m on dirt single track, I’m going maybe 10 mph cause I’m on a 10” inch wide undulating dirt trail! When I’m on paved bike trails...go with the flow, don’t be a dick, 16-18 mph seems fine. And when I’m on the streets, 25+ mph. Never been questioned about riding a class 3 bike on a trail or path.

"Why do you ride MTBs if you are not a dedicated trail rider?"

That's a great question. I live in Southern NJ, a relatively small town. But the problem is, everything is so densely packed, that the small town you may live in, butts up directly alongside, in front of, in back of and behind, other small towns. Like a can of sardines. No soaring mountain range vistas here, but one learns to find adventure where one can.

An mtb or in my case, a fat bike, is alot like a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, a vehicle where over 90% of it's accumulated mileage is done on concrete and pavement. But it's that other 10% that opens up places no one else can go but for a vehicle equipped to go through sand or tight dirt trails. And that's exactly where my fat bikes fit in. They are literally a go-anywhere vehicle that a commuter or racing style bike could never dream of going.

Saw this pop up on 'latest activity' couple times today and didn't bother with it. "What are these people blabbering about?" I thought or something to that effect. Bored and about ready for bed I clicked on a post and scrolled up to the top for a look see. Oh, dang, *I* started this thread. O L D is a terrible condition. 🤣

Started out with a Stingray, then wore out about 20 grand worth of road bikes getting really freakin fit. Started mountain biking, wore out another 10 grand in bikes and busted parts. Then dirt bikes took over, yep, another 15 grand in bikes and gear. So now that I'm getting old and scared I got a Biktrix Ultra 1000 Pro to go out and do whatever I feel like.

Started out with a Stingray, then wore out about 20 grand worth of road bikes getting really freakin fit.
Started mountain biking, wore out another 10 grand in bikes and busted parts.
Then dirt bikes took over, yep, another 15 grand in bikes and gear.
So now that I'm getting old and scared I got a Biktrix Ultra 1000 Pro to go out and do whatever I feel like.
The circle of cycling life! ;)

1608071045494.png

Attachments

• 1608070830352.png
    1608070830352.png
    99.6 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
Reviving an old thread -- I can ride the rutted, crumbling asphalt roads in the park near my house on a mid'90's 250W hub drive kit bike w/ no 'real' suspension and get by w/ just a suspension stem and suspension seat post, and have a great time.

But I can have a better time with full suspension, and go faster over a road surface that changes from pavement to cracked pavement with lots of potholes and sifting piles of sandy dirt. I can also pass cars going downhill because I don't have to slow down for speed bumps.

The other reason is something like what Mike said-- sometimes, I do have an opportunity to get onto some dirt paths (after the horses have gone home for the night) or take strange, ambiguous tracks into obscure places in the park. Even an underpowered full suspension EMTB climbs sandy dirt and gravel SO much better the kit e-bike. Still takes just a bit of finesse sometimes, but on the kit bike, it was hard to balance traction between front hub and wheel. I never actually dumped it, but I got close. Maybe that's 10% of the time, but it's some of the best.

They really are the most versatile platform for many types of riding. I still have my 20 year old FS Downhill Bike (Norco VPS Drop) from my years working at a ski hill. It was fully upgraded over the first couple of years, and has hydraulic everything, Hayes 9s, Marzocchi Dirt Jumper 1, etc. It's old tech, stupid heavy, highly worn, and ready for permanent retirement, but my god it's still like a silk glove when I hop on it. It just fits, and makes even the largest curb, root, or log feel like a sidewalk crack. I have exceed 100km/h on the mountain with that bike many times, and I always felt safe and in control with two fingers and a smile (not so much today ;-) ). I had planned to add a BBSHD kit to it, but have to accept there are much better ways to get a much better ride today. I'm just held back by the fact that a true modern equivalent is going to set me back 8-10K, and I really don't need that quality for city living.

But once you are spoiled by a really good FS MTB, just like a great woman you have to give up, it's hard to fall in love again... ;-)

Harder to get run over by a distracted driver if I ride where cars don't go. :) Plus my wife and I like hiking out in nature and ebikes add a fun quality to that. Seeing the sites at a bit faster pace, coasting downhill after having done climbs, expanding the range of what we get to see and experience in a day.

Recently bought a Rail 5 and knew going in that I’ll never really push this EMTB. My reasoning was to have an ebike I can take anywhere I’d ever care to ride, on or off-road. Love my Allant+7 but it’s just not built to do that.

Our Trance and Stance are all-terrain!
I put Schwalbe Hurricanes on the Stance and they're fantastic. The biggest surprise is how well they work on dirt trails.
The Trance got Smart-Sam's on my 'road wheels', and on dirt, for the way I ride, they're nearly indiscernible from the Minions on my other wheelset for offroad. Yes, I have two complete wheelsets for this one.

Really please with both bikes. The two downsides, or cons if you will, were cost - ten grand in bikes there, and the lack of a side stand. So far this latter hasn't been a problem, there's always something to prop them up on.
They replaced our hybrid roading bikes, the Amiti and Explore, which were more or less our first ebikes. Both were excellent bikes, but niether were at all capable for anything off pavement.

The Stance in particular, with it's shorter travel and 29" wheels, is a really nice hybrid. Wife loves it, and it's super comfy.

I was REALLY interested in the Rail5, having owned a couple of sets of Trek bikes - they make a very nice product. I could not get my local dealers to bring one in to see and test ride, which I thought was rather unfortunate. Trek dealers seem to still be catching on to the whole ebike thing. Plus, a few years ago ebikes weren't nearly as popular, and they're a big inventory investment, and they got stuck with some that had to be discounted to blow out. I don't think that's the case anymore - the popularity of ebikes is soaring today. Plus the motors and battery packs are much better than the early stuff.

I don't think you can miss with the 'big-3' - Spec, Trek, or Giant. There are plenty of other good brands, but these by far have the most market share, and an excellent dealer network (for the most part), good warranties, and the latest technology and designs. They're not the cheapest though, and every time we say this on this forum someone comes along and poo-poos it cuz, well, there are lots of chinese knockoffs for a LOT less. And there are lots of direct-to-consumer brands that cut out the dealer. So yeah, they're cheaper, but unless you're really good with bikes in general, technically savvy, and can fix them yourself, the difference between DIY and having a dealer to backup the warranty, can be joy or sorrow in the overall ebike-ownership experience.

I ALWAYS tell newcomers to start with their local bike dealers first, and go from there.

For me, the Yamaha Sync-Drive was the hook. With more than fifty years of motorbike riding under my belt, and a lifetime of boating (outboard motors), it's a well known and proven brand. You can trust the brand, they make really awesome stuff, always top of the heap in technology. Anybody remember the Yamaha WETBIKE?? Yeah...1978!! LOL

Wetbike-Ad.jpg

Back