Motor is cutting off and on

webbie

Region
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I bought a faulty pedal assisted electric bike (The one sold at Halfords with Assist brand) and couldn’t understand the reason of the issue.
The bike is pedal assisted, as I told before and it doesn’t assist ve I turn the pedal. Also, there is a 6km button to let the motor work without pedalling but it cuts off and on if there is load. If I hold the wheel and press the button, the wheel turns but not if I sit on the bike.
I added the video of the issue below and will be pleased if you share yout opinions. Thanks in advance…

If the video doesn’t appear, you can use the link below:

If you look where the pedal arms go through the bike, you will see a 30mm wide wheel with perhaps 12 magnets. Next to it is a magnetic pickup sensor. Those two parts can only have a gap of 2mm. That could be why pedal assist does not work; that gap is too large. Adjust it with your thumb. Next: Walk Assist is set at 6Km. It is intended for walking along side the bike. Not while ridding the bike.

Last edited:
If you look where the pedal arms go through the bike, you will see a 30mm wide wheel with perhaps 12 magnets. Next to it is a magnetic pickup sensor. Those two parts can only have a gap of 2mm. That could be why pedal assist does not work; that gap is too large. Adjust it with your thumb. Next: Walk Assist is set at 6Km. It is intended for walking along side the bike. No while ridding the bike.
Thank you PedalUma. I will check it and will write the result.

I solved the issue and wanted to share the solution for whom may need it.
I checked the censor as PedalUma mentioned and there was nothing wrong. Then I read the manual of the bike again and saw that there is a sentence as “Motor stops if you brake” and voila, found the issue. The rear wheel was wobbling to the brake pad and I recentered it. Now the motor works as it should.

Back