Motor, bike type

Kensr75

Im new to ebikes and have a lot of questions. First what motor type do i need. Ill mostly be using it to and from work. 2.5mi each way. Pretty flat area. Like to have power if i need it. 20mph is fine. Want largest i can get and stil stay in the law. I was thinking direct drive or geared hub. Didnt like mid drive. Can you steer me in the right direction. I can spend $1500-$2000.

Congrats and welcome!
I’d recommend keep watching this forum and of course Court’s great reviews. If you are fortunate to live in an area with bike shops take advantage of many test rides. And decide if you want online purchase (and like to tinker) or support of a store.
Looking forward to to photo of what you find ??‍♂️?.

If you're looking for most performance available, and have no interest in speeds over 20 mph, I would suggest you focus on something with gear reduction - avoiding the direct drive types.

Im looking at both right now. If it goes faster than 20 thats ok. My concern with geared hub is how long will the gears last? Can i get replacements? I can probably change them if so. Direct drive im concerned about it having enough power to go up hills haul me. Not many here but some. What do you think. I appreciate your help.

My opinion - First, to qualify my thoughts, it should be understood I ride for pleasure only, with no interest in commuting. Second, I have no interest in speeds over 20 - though the bike is (as it is currently set up) capable of sprinting nearly twice that with the 1500w direct drive hub. Most of my riding is in the range of 8-15mph. I should also mention I'm a big guy (6'2"/315lbs).

I liked the idea of direct drive on paper (with few moving parts and no gear whine), but from a more practical perspective, they are hurting in the bigger hills. Being an active DIY'er, I even tried a 1500w direct drive conversion, and still run into occasional hills that leave me and the bike panting hard when reaching the top. This is while riding in a rolling coastal area though. I'm sure there are many areas where this setup will provide PLENTY of power. The fact is, a direct drive is more efficient than the other systems, but for my purposes, is hurting for the torque available with gears at lower speeds. Over about 15-20mph, the direct drives, all else being equal, are tough to beat.

What I've learned doing further research since, is that if I focus only on speeds below 20mph, where I find I spend all of my time, is that gears offer a lot more performance. This accelerating from a stop, or while climbing hills.

From a strictly personal standpoint, I don't care for the idea of the mid drive, mostly due to the stresses imposed on the chain drive system and the fact I don't do enough off road to justify their ability to climb at low speeds.

That leaves a geared hub system. I will know more here soon, as I have a top of the line MAC 12t hub already laced up on a rim, just waiting for me to have the time to sit down and do the conversion....

Gears for the hub drives are available, but they don't wear quickly under most circumstances. How tough they are to change will depend on how handy you are. -Al

My opinion - First, to qualify my thoughts, it should be understood I ride for pleasure only, with no interest in commuting. Second, I have no interest in speeds over 20 - though the bike is (as it is currently set up) capable of sprinting nearly twice that with the 1500w direct drive hub. Most of my riding is in the range of 8-15mph. I should also mention I'm a big guy (6'2"/315lbs).

I liked the idea of direct drive on paper (with few moving parts and no gear whine), but from a more practical perspective, they are hurting in the bigger hills. Being an active DIY'er, I even tried a 1500w direct drive conversion, and still run into occasional hills that leave me and the bike panting hard when reaching the top. This is while riding in a rolling coastal area though. I'm sure there are many areas where this setup will provide PLENTY of power. The fact is, a direct drive is more efficient than the other systems, but for my purposes, is hurting for the torque available with gears at lower speeds. Over about 15-20mph, the direct drives, all else being equal, are tough to beat.

What I've learned doing further research since, is that if I focus only on speeds below 20mph, where I find I spend all of my time, is that gears offer a lot more performance. This accelerating from a stop, or while climbing hills.

From a strictly personal standpoint, I don't care for the idea of the mid drive, mostly due to the stresses imposed on the chain drive system and the fact I don't do enough off road to justify their ability to climb at low speeds.

That leaves a geared hub system. I will know more here soon, as I have a top of the line MAC 12t hub already laced up on a rim, just waiting for me to have the time to sit down and do the conversion....

Gears for the hub drives are available, but they don't wear quickly under most circumstances. How tough they are to change will depend on how handy you are. -Al
Thanks a lot. That was helpful.

Thanks that was helpful. Still up in the air yet. Direct drive is faster. Hub has more torque ill ask more questions on forum thanks again for your help.

Hub drive will be fine. I was hell bent on getting a mid-drive, but glad I went with this bike. I highly recommend the Aventon Pace 500. I am 290 lbs, 6'2", not in great shape, and have a 2.5 mile ride to work, all uphill. Couldn't do it on a regular bike unless I wanted to show up at work huffing and puffing. We have no flat areas to ride, so this bike has been a life changer. My wife has the step through model and works well for her also. We have no problem going out on a 90 degree day and going 10 to 15 miles without breaking a sweat. I mostly ride in PAS 2 or 3. 4 and 5 is faster than I need to go usually. Bike will do 20 mph with throttle and 28 mph with PAS. I received it in a couple days, easy to put together. It's their own design and made for them so it's not a mass manufactured model that many different brands put their name on. My dog loves it too. Fun way to get to the dog park.

Attachments

• IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    280.8 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:
Hub drive will be fine. I was hell bent on getting a mid-drive, but glad I went with this bike. I highly recommend the Aventon Pace 500. I am 290 lbs, 6'2", not in great shape, and have a 2.5 mile ride to work, all uphill. Couldn't do it on a regular bike unless I wanted to show up at work huffing and puffing. We have no flat areas to ride, so this bike has been a life changer. My wife has the step through model and works well for her also. We have no problem going out on a 90 degree day and going 10 to 15 miles without breaking a sweat. I mostly ride in PAS 2 or 3. 4 and 5 is faster than I need to go usually. Bike will do 20 mph with throttle and 28 mph with PAS. I received it in a couple days, easy to put together. It's their own design and made for them so it's not a mass manufactured model that many different brands put their name on. My dog loves it too. Fun way to get to the dog park.
How long will the gears last in a hub motor. I hear they are very noisy with gear whine. Nice setup for the dogs.

How long will the gears last in a hub motor. I hear they are very noisy with gear whine. Nice setup for the dogs.

That depends on how often you maintain them. Run it till it quits will be considerably less than if you pull the guts and add grease occasionally. At 1,700 miles my Bafang gear motor had a hall sensor fail. Gears looked like new.

That depends on how often you maintain them. Run it till it quits will be considerably less than if you pull the guts and add grease occasionally. At 1,700 miles my Bafang gear motor had a hall sensor fail. Gears looked like new.
Nice bike. Im kinda big guy too. 6'5" 225lbs.
Im 6'5" 225. So it should have plenty of power for me. I just dont want to buy it and wish i bought a 750w. If needed can i get replacement parts like gears and that hall sensor you talked about. Nice bike. Looks more like a bike. I wish it had twist throttle. I may just look into this bike. Your the second person recommending it.

So I watched couple reviews on the pace 500. Seems to be what im looking for. I do have 1 issue im not sure i can live with. The throttle is on the left. I tore the tendon in left thumb never got it fixed. I dont have any push power in my thumb. Do you recommend anything else while i ponder if i can make this work.

I don't know anything about this Pace, but wondering about the potential for the throttle to be moved to the right side, where most other throttles are installed?

Where there is a will, there's a way! Twist throttle might be one way. From what I see in the available pics the issue is the shift lever. Replacing that with a different type might be an option that would let you retain the original throttle? Or maybe there is a way of re orienting the shift lever? Dunno, but I'm betting a little creativity could handle the issue with a minimum amount of fuss. That's me though...

Where there is a will, there's a way! Twist throttle might be one way. From what I see in the available pics the issue is the shift lever. Replacing that with a different type might be an option that would let you retain the original throttle? Or maybe there is a way of re orienting the shift lever? Dunno, but I'm betting a little creativity could handle the issue with a minimum amount of fuss. That's me though...
True i really do like this bike. Mostly becauae it comes in 3 sizes

It's the more common set up, as compared to throttle on the left. Does make for a pretty busy thumb though....

Thumb throttle is very light to engage, but one pic shows using index finger. There is room to move it to right side, but might have to place it to the left of the shifter. If seriously considering an Aventon, I would call and talk to them about any concerns or questions, they have always been helpful through email and phone. I thought I would use the throttle a lot, but I never use it with how well the peddle assist works. Adjustable handlebar stem is nice to have also. There was a 10% coupon code floating around on the Aventon Pace Facebook page last week. I paid full price for both of our 500s and totally worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0818.JPG
    IMG_0818.JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_0819.JPG
    IMG_0819.JPG
    145.5 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    134.9 KB · Views: 337
  • IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 328
I see you are in York, (UK?) not New York as people are assuming. Brands may be different there.
I bought a 1000 W DD hub drive and it got me up multiple short 15% grade at gross weight 330 lb. It used a lot of electricity, though. Changing to geared hub cut the electricity use about a third.
The geared hub whines a bit, sounds like an old trolley car. since it has internal slip clutch it is silent when I am pedaling without power. It's gears might wear out, they are not available for purchase, but the whole thing with controller wheel throttle 2 brake handles controller cost me $220, so what if it wears out? Might be a whole $300 these days. Your problem may be nanny EU won't let you buy 1000 W kits. But you said it was pretty flat? not a problem maybe.
Dogs? they are a problem here, but the faster I go the farther they get from biting my heel. Haven't had to use the pepper spray since I installed the electricity. Dogs can smell me long before they can hear the motor. Dog at the next property 500 yards away barks at me every time I walk out on my porch, no bike noise involved.

I see you are in York, (UK?) not New York as people are assuming. Brands may be different there.
I bought a 1000 W DD hub drive and it got me up multiple short 15% grade at gross weight 330 lb. It used a lot of electricity, though. Changing to geared hub cut the electricity use about a third.
The geared hub whines a bit, sounds like an old trolley car. since it has internal slip clutch it is silent when I am pedaling without power. It's gears might wear out, they are not available for purchase, but the whole thing with controller wheel throttle 2 brake handles controller cost me $220, so what if it wears out? Might be a whole $300 these days. Your problem may be nanny EU won't let you buy 1000 W kits. But you said it was pretty flat? not a problem maybe.
Dogs? they are a problem here, but the faster I go the farther they get from biting my heel. Haven't had to use the pepper spray since I installed the electricity. Dogs can smell me long before they can hear the motor. Dog at the next property 500 yards away barks at me every time I walk out on my porch, no bike noise involved.
York pennsylvania. I just learned of a few upgrage kits for the rad city. Also a video said direct drive is better for the city. I wont be offroading at all. Just to commute and mabye a joy ride. 750w is nominal watts not peak. So if im not happy with the power theres options.

York pennsylvania. I just learned of a few upgrage kits for the rad city. Also a video said direct drive is better for the city. I wont be offroading at all. Just to commute and mabye a joy ride. 750w is nominal watts not peak. So if im not happy with the power theres options.
Also I called aventon and they dont have any large style 500 in stock. I could probably find one somewhere. But I also talked to rad city. I think for how i will be using the bike dd will suit me better. It wont hurt me if i have to pedal a little to start out. I asked them about replacement hubs in a email i havent heard back yet. Although i love the way the 500 looks and the fat tire bike is not for me. Im gonna get the radcity. Should have plenty of power for what i need. I can always upgrade the controller or tweek it a bit. Im sure someone on here knows how. Thanks to everyone for your help. Ill post on how i like it and what i feel needs upgraded if anything. But im sure ill want to upgrade to make it better in some areas.

Back