More comfortable saddle for Trek Verve+3

Johnmj1

I love my new Verve+3 but after the first 175 miles, I know I have to upgrade the saddle to something more comfortable. After About 10 miles on the OEM saddle, it hurts! Any suggestions please?

If you have not ridden much before, there is always going to be some soreness. Your backside does toughen up with more riding. As for saddle suggestions, it is a personal thing. Generally, the more upright you sit, the wider the saddle needs to be. A cushy seat might seem more comfortable initially, but on a long ride it can end up being too soft. Shape is by far the most important thing. Some brands and shops have trial saddles or satisfaction guarantees.
Some people have an aversion to spandex cycling shorts, but they make riding more comfortable than even casual-style cycling shorts, and certainly more than regular shorts.

I love my new Verve+3 but after the first 175 miles, I know I have to upgrade the saddle to something more comfortable. After About 10 miles on the OEM saddle, it hurts! Any suggestions please?
have a read here which might give you some ideas

If you have an aversion so cycling shorts, you can also go this route. I would try these before going the new saddle route. Finding the right saddle for you can take a while as everyone's sit bones are different.

I’ve always gone the improved seat route vs padded shorts, which I find uncomfortable, bulky, and make me look like I have a full diaper!🤭

I put a Brooks B67 on my Verve+ 2 and am loving it. It may take about 100 miles to break in. Everyone's butt is different though!
I've read a lot of positive reviews on Brooks saddles but I'm failing to understand the break in on the Brooks saddle. From pictures it looks like a very firm seat covered in leather. What exactly has to break in on the seat?

I've read a lot of positive reviews on Brooks saddles but I'm failing to understand the break in on the Brooks saddle. From pictures it looks like a very firm seat covered in leather. What exactly has to break in on the seat?
Others will likely say it in more detail but basically the leather molds over time to fit your bottom.

I had the same problem when I got my Verve + 3, having not ridden a bike at all for years. I initially put a plusher seat on that I had at home, then went back to the original Boulevard model before long, once my butt got used to riding again. I find it a really good saddle. I have added a Redshift seat post, which softens the bumps considerably more than the sprung seat post that comes on the Verve.

Just switched my Bontrager Boulevard seat onto my Norco DS bike... it looks and feels perfect there! Installed a new Brooks B17 on the Trek, after treating it with Proofide. 30 km ride today, it’s a bit hard, but not that uncomfortable. Hopefully broken in soon!

Back