More cheap Chinese hub safety issues.

Chargeride

I know most people here buy mostly quality products, but these parts are widespread in cheap acoustic and ebikes around the world.

I'm tapping the screwdriver into the screw head and the whole flange popped off, its just a push fit.
Obviously the bearings hold it horizontally , but there is nothing to stop it spinning, so your braking and pedal force is only secured through one side of the spokes.
It's obviously a rusty poc, but you can see that there was never anything but friction holding it in.
The make is Shunfeng
IMG_20240322_095124223.jpg

I know most people here buy mostly quality products, but these parts are widespread in cheap acoustic and ebikes around the world.

I'm tapping the screwdriver into the screw head and the whole flange popped off, its just a push fit.
Obviously the bearings hold it horizontally , but there is nothing to stop it spinning, so your braking and pedal force is only secured through one side of the spokes.
It's obviously a rusty poc, but you can see that there was never anything but friction holding it in.
The make is Shunfeng
View attachment 172926
So let me understand...
From all your posts all you seem to buy is "cheap Chinese crap".
And though this piece never failed on you and it was clearly used long term in harsh conditions and was never even cleaned yet maintained... You want to knock it's design now after surely not complaining during its use or at the time of purchase at what was probably a bargain basement price.
Not advocating to buy cheap crap but most entry level hardware is just that and functions acceptably for its intended purpose and price.
I'm sure you had more expensive options at the time of purchase and the evil Chinese didn't lie to you and trick you into buying it.

Last edited:
Looks like that part has been well used & abused.. not a surprise that it would fail.

It was a tight press fit 20 years ago, but rust did its job, They make bike forks the same way, Keep them shiny and this stuff won't happen.

Yes I'm sure flooding the world with parts that cut every imaginable corner and sell these to people the least likely to appreciate the issues is just fine.

The fact that this is the part that attaches the braking force, which acts in a rotational direction , straight into a painted push fit joint.

Maybe push on rotors or glued on brake levers.

Anyway, its eye opening for me that cheap, though actually these hubs are not exactly super cheap at 50 quid, means the bare minimum of structural integrity that can be obtained.

Obviously it's pick your poison for me, Im happy to abuse cheap crap to failure in a way I would never do do quality items, but I didn't think they were that weak, or maybe it's commonplace.

Maybe invest a quid on some oil 🙃
Jeeze.. I don't think I own anything that looks so neglected... and for sure not anything that I would be riding.

Back