Modify Handlebars on BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City One

debrasa

Hello,
Just purchased my BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City One on Friday and did so knowing that I wanted to make an adjustment to the handlebars - raise, tilt, etc., for just a bit more of an upright feel. My old Trek 7300 handlebars are the "just right" formula of rise and tilt. The bike shop where i purchased it from did swap out the bar for one that had more of a rise in it but it was only minimal rise and told me I could just go online and purchase one with higher angle. The salesperson also seemed to be of the impression that I could not change the stem bc I would lose the integrated headlamp. I am not a tech geek at all so someone just telling me to go online and purchase something does not help me as there are thousands of handlebars.

I did find a phone number for BMC corporate headquarters in California and was told that I could change out the stem and that the headlight is attached with a standard Go Pro type attachment and again, the person who spoke to me spoke to me as if I proficient in bike gear language.

I have attached a photo of what the existing handlebars and stem look like.
Thank you for your help.

with gratitude,
debra

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.50.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.50.26 AM.png
    317.4 KB · Views: 510
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.51.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-24 at 11.51.10 AM.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 511
Hello,
Just purchased my BMC Alpenchallenge AMP City One on Friday and did so knowing that I wanted to make an adjustment to the handlebars - raise, tilt, etc., for just a bit more of an upright feel. My old Trek 7300 handlebars are the "just right" formula of rise and tilt. The bike shop where i purchased it from did swap out the bar for one that had more of a rise in it but it was only minimal rise and told me I could just go online and purchase one with higher angle. The salesperson also seemed to be of the impression that I could not change the stem bc I would lose the integrated headlamp. I am not a tech geek at all so someone just telling me to go online and purchase something does not help me as there are thousands of handlebars.

I did find a phone number for BMC corporate headquarters in California and was told that I could change out the stem and that the headlight is attached with a standard Go Pro type attachment and again, the person who spoke to me spoke to me as if I proficient in bike gear language.

I have attached a photo of what the existing handlebars and stem look like.
Thank you for your help.

with gratitude,
debra

That is a fantastic bike and congratulations!
I am one of the founders of a new E-bike company and we have experimented with a number of stems and handlebars. We have something that might work for you.
A couple of questions:
  1. Can you share a picture of your Trek setup, so we could try to mimic that exact setup?
  2. Do you know the width of your handlebar?
  3. Could you check the diameter of the steerer tube? if it 28.6mm, our products might work.
  4. Do you have a light attached currently? You could look at a sample picture of our setup below. It has mounting points for both the light and electronic horn.
1606241154353.png

Your light is indeed on a GoPro type mounting, I’m not familiar with the bike but I imagine the light bracket is inset into the handlebar clamp and just clamped between the stem and the bar itself. the bar is probably 31.6mm diameter , but be careful as MTB bars are 31.6 or 35mm these days

as for bars there are loads to choose from, most stick to a moderate back sweep angle (6-9’ normally), but there are some good MTB bars with 25mm or more rise. Just be wary of the width of the bars, MTB bars have increased in width over the years so there are plenty at 760mm or wider. I’d also avoid cheap carbon bars such as those sold under the EC90 branding, they just are not worthy of a good quality ebike such as the BMC. Also be aware of clone/fake Ritchey and Raceface bars, if they are too cheap there is a reason!

Thank you for reply.
I have attached a few photos.
My Trek HB are 26" and BMC 27"
The BMC HB are not the factory install - the bike shop switched them out and actually cut them so they were not so wide
Yes, the headlamp is integrated

I do not know what the "steerer tube" is.
I measure the circumference of the stem??? and it was 5 inches

thank you
debra
Your light is indeed on a GoPro type mounting, I’m not familiar with the bike but I imagine the light bracket is inset into the handlebar clamp and just clamped between the stem and the bar itself. the bar is probably 31.6mm diameter , but be careful as MTB bars are 31.6 or 35mm these days

as for bars there are loads to choose from, most stick to a moderate back sweep angle (6-9’ normally), but there are some good MTB bars with 25mm or more rise. Just be wary of the width of the bars, MTB bars have increased in width over the years so there are plenty at 760mm or wider. I’d also avoid cheap carbon bars such as those sold under the EC90 branding, they just are not worthy of a good quality ebike such as the BMC. Also be aware of clone/fake Ritchey and Raceface bars, if they are too cheap there is a reason!
thank you - seeing that there are countless numbers of handlebars - could you make a specific recommendation? I was told to use a hacksaw and shorten the handlebars - that is what they did at the bike shop with the ones they switched out for the factory one. I was advised on this one but no nothing -
https://www.amazon.com/Sunlite-Hand...1606151733&s=sporting-goods&sr=1-8&th=1&psc=1

just spoke with BMC rep again and he said that I can change the stem and in doing so would probably be the same result as changing the handlebars to 3" rise so I think I will start with the handlebar adjustment first

Thank you
debra

Attachments

• trek-bmc-handlebars-sidebyside-front.jpg
    trek-bmc-handlebars-sidebyside-front.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 491
  • trek-bmc-handlebars-sidebyside.jpg
    trek-bmc-handlebars-sidebyside.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 484
  • trek-bmc-handlebars-topview.jpg
    trek-bmc-handlebars-topview.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 510
  • bmc-stem-headlight.jpg
    bmc-stem-headlight.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 583
Hi Debra,

I also just received a BMC bike, but mine is the Cross LTD. I bought without trying and was concerned about the stem geometry, so I did a bit of research into this.

The first picture in your original post is not the City One. It is I believe the City LTD. The LTD models have a proprietary stem called ICS. With the ICS stems you are locked into BMC's ecosystem. You can't just throw in more spacers to raise it up, etc. The way BMC accommodates this is to offer multiple ICS stems with differing lengths and angles. They are expensive ($200). By the way, the cables route through ICS stems, making them even more irreplaceable.

But you have a One model, not LTD. The One models do not use the ICS stems. I thought (but am not completely certain) that the One stem uses an industry standard. So I thought you should be able to put any stem on there you want. You'd lose the built-in GoPro mount, but you could add one on the handlebars. If I'm right then you should be able to find a stem that has a better geometry for you, and/or you could add standard spacers to raise it. I'm not a bike expert, having owned very few bikes in my life, so I might be mistaken.

Also, did you consider turning the stem upside down? I think it is designed for that. This effectively raises it because of the angle.

Finally, you could take this opportunity to get a stem with suspension such as the Redshift ShockStop. That's unfortunately not an option for me due to the LTD's proprietary ICS stem.

As for handlebars, I was nervous about getting flat bars instead of drop bars because I appreciate the different hand positions of drop bars. So I think someday I may replace the stock BMC flat bar with a Jones Loop. Check it out.

I had this handlebar (see below link) on my old ebike and really liked it. I found the swept-back angle to be very comfortable, compared to a more straighter Mountain bike bar that my ebike came with.

Thank you. I am taking it to a bike shop tomorrow that sells the rack for it so hopefully they can advise what I need.

I have attached a few photos.
My Trek HB are 26" and BMC 27"
The BMC HB are not the factory install - the bike shop switched them out and actually cut them so they were not so wide
Yes, the headlamp is integrated

I do not know what the "steerer tube" is.
I measure the circumference of the stem??? and it was 5 inches

Looks like you live in Madison and purchased this BMC from Lenny's store.
Lenny is a very good friend of mine and I will be visiting his store shortly in a week or two.
Coming back, all you need is an adjustable stem instead of a rigid one. Companies like Ergotec, SQ Labs, Satori etc all make very good products and there are not a lot of models that are aesthetically pleasing and specifically designed for E-bikes. We have a couple of stems that are made for cases like yours and I could send them to Lenny's store for you to try.

Install these items and your E-bike 10x more comfortable:
  1. Kinekt suspension seatpost
  2. Adjustable stem

Looks like you live in Madison and purchased this BMC from Lenny's store.
Lenny is a very good friend of mine and I will be visiting his store shortly in a week or two.
Coming back, all you need is an adjustable stem instead of a rigid one. Companies like Ergotec, SQ Labs, Satori etc all make very good products and there are not a lot of models that are aesthetically pleasing and specifically designed for E-bikes. We have a couple of stems that are made for cases like yours and I could send them to Lenny's store for you to try.

Install these items and your E-bike 10x more comfortable:
  1. Kinekt suspension seatpost
  2. Adjustable stem
Hi Ravi,
I live 2 hours from Madison so will not be going there on a regular basis. Thank you for your recommendations. Can I purchase from you directly? Your opinion of the Shockstop seatpost versus the Kinekt? the Shockstop is a less expensive. on sale for $183 versus Kinekt at $249.95.
is there a specific adjustable stem - maybe one or two you could give me info on?

with gratitude,
debra

I had this handlebar (see below link) on my old ebike and really liked it. I found the swept-back angle to be very comfortable, compared to a more straighter Mountain bike bar that my ebike came with.

Thank you - I will check into.

Thank you for your recommendations. Can I purchase from you directly? Your opinion of the Shockstop seatpost versus the Kinekt? the Shockstop is a less expensive. on sale for $183 versus Kinekt at $249.95.
is there a specific adjustable stem - maybe one or two you could give me info on?

Oh, you're from Pleasant Prairie. I have a good friend who lives close by!
Zen E-bikes has OEM account with Kinekt and other vendors, so happy to help but here is the problem.
Your bike is the high-end model and it won't accept circular seatpost; neither Kinekt nor Shockstop. It has to be one of those BMC seatposts (Alpenchallenge AMP “D” Premium Carbon, 15mm offset) and that sucks!
As you can see in the picture below, it has square-edged seatpost and it makes it difficult to install any other seatpost. I could certainly help you with Kinekt suspension stem or the adjustable stem.
You could try some of the stems in person because I will be visiting my friend next weekend (not this one).

1606285284543.png

As @ephemere stated your current stem is industry standard fitting - 31.8mm bar clamp and fits a 1 1/8" fork. your current stem is 8' angle and looks to be set in the up position, so there's no tuning left.

Redshift make two different styles of shockstop, one similar to your current stem in differing lengths but all set at +/-6' angle (in which case you'll gain nothing from them) and a 30' riser version..

https://redshiftsports.com/products/shockstop-suspension-stem

This 30' (fixed angle) riser stem will provide an approximate 1" lift to the bars at the clamping point - so you can utilise your current bars etc and its an easy swap over (except needing to either add a simple gopro handlebar clamp mount , this just being an example..

s-l640.jpg

You may even be able to use the current stem front clamping plate and light bracket with the redshift stem, subject to bolt spacing/compatibility; that's very much a 'see what you have at disassemble stage' though. You also get the added benefit of a suspension stem, which will take some of the road shock away - the internal elastomers are interchangeable for different rider weight.

As to the alternative Sunlite bar you linked to, i've no idea, but its probably inferior quality to the BMC original, and at under $35 is a cheap part for an expensive bike

is there a specific adjustable stem - maybe one or two you could give me info o
I don't know what your previous setup looked like but you don't necessarily need an adjustable stem. You can simply go for a handlebar like Jones SG 2.5, it even has 2" rise. Those swept back handlebars improve your comfort drastically, give you lot's of different holding positions. https://jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-sg-2-5-loop-aluminum/.

Because of the seatpost shape it is unlikely that you will find a seatpost suspension but you may want to try something like a Brooks B67s https://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Saddles-Bicycle-Springs-Antique/dp/B000I0X0YA/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=brooks+saddle+spring&qid=1606377764&sr=8-5&th=1 . Brooks has fantastic saddles so this one should also be very nice, they get better as you ride on them.

Edit: Just saw the Trek on the attached photos. Definitely go for Jones SG 2.5 bar + Brooks67s, this setup should be at least as good as that setup if not better.

I don't know what your previous setup looked like but you don't necessarily need an adjustable stem. You can simply go for a handlebar like Jones SG 2.5, it even has 2" rise. Those swept back handlebars improve your comfort drastically, give you lot's of different holding positions. https://jonesbikes.com/jones-h-bar-sg-2-5-loop-aluminum/.

Because of the seatpost shape it is unlikely that you will find a seatpost suspension but you may want to try something like a Brooks B67s https://www.amazon.com/Brooks-Saddles-Bicycle-Springs-Antique/dp/B000I0X0YA/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=brooks+saddle+spring&qid=1606377764&sr=8-5&th=1 . Brooks has fantastic saddles so this one should also be very nice, they get better as you ride on them.

Edit: Just saw the Trek on the attached photos. Definitely go for Jones SG 2.5 bar + Brooks67s, this setup should be at least as good as that setup if not better.
Thank you for the links Johnny. I had a Selle Royale seat on my Trek and just transferred it over, so I am in good form on my seat. Will look into the Brooks B67's as I make many referrals as a personal trainer. Thank you again!

just read some of the reviews on the Brooks seat - sounds amazing - may have to add it to my Wish List!

As @ephemere stated your current stem is industry standard fitting - 31.8mm bar clamp and fits a 1 1/8" fork. your current stem is 8' angle and looks to be set in the up position, so there's no tuning left.

Redshift make two different styles of shockstop, one similar to your current stem in differing lengths but all set at +/-6' angle (in which case you'll gain nothing from them) and a 30' riser version..

https://redshiftsports.com/products/shockstop-suspension-stem

This 30' (fixed angle) riser stem will provide an approximate 1" lift to the bars at the clamping point - so you can utilise your current bars etc and its an easy swap over (except needing to either add a simple gopro handlebar clamp mount , this just being an example..

s-l640.jpg

You may even be able to use the current stem front clamping plate and light bracket with the redshift stem, subject to bolt spacing/compatibility; that's very much a 'see what you have at disassemble stage' though. You also get the added benefit of a suspension stem, which will take some of the road shock away - the internal elastomers are interchangeable for different rider weight.

As to the alternative Sunlite bar you linked to, i've no idea, but its probably inferior quality to the BMC original, and at under $35 is a cheap part for an expensive bike
Great recommendation on the Shockstop stem... a perfect fit for the BMC rigid front fork and it's on sale for Black Friday! ;)

Do you know what the options are for handlebar grips on the H-bar?

A big fan here of the BMC E-bikes. Hope you get yourself in the comfort zone you are looking for. Many good options mentioned above. The Redshift looks like a great product to start with in addition to giving you more comfort upfront with you ride. Ravi has always had great advice for everyone here on this forum. If you have 31.6mm sized bars the Ergon grips should fit most HBs. Not a bad idea to take them with you if you are selecting new bars at your LBS. Good Luck!

Back