Modding ideas for higher throttle top speed?

Mastertheorum

What's the best way to mod the XP to get around the throttle speed restriction?

I've read you can change out the display, but I'm not sure if I need just that(first link) or also the controller(second link)

https://motowoks.com/products/bafang-m5-display-standard-for-bbs01-bbs02-bbshd

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/328...Wu0ngC0NhrBe2H_GxRVT70iCQaHdbU-DLgUGDRZ1oesFQ

Are there any other ways to do this? (reset the stock display, clip a speed restriction wire, etc?)

My background is dirt bikes and mopeds, but I'm new to e-bikes. Any info would be helpful. Thanks!

You might want to try out an ebike first before worrying about going faster. It’s a different ball game than a motorcycle. I have both and 28mph is fast on a bike. Plus it’s the legal limit if you are into that.

I've been on a lot of vintage moped peddlers that weight around the same as Lectric. Being able to throttle to 25-30 is more fun on those than the slow ones that just hit around 20mph. I appreciate your advice though, it applies to a lot of people I bet. I just want something zippy and fast for private land so the legal limit doesn't matter to me.

I've been on a lot of vintage moped peddlers that weight around the same as Lectric. Being able to throttle to 25-30 is more fun on those than the slow ones that just hit around 20mph. I appreciate your advice though, it applies to a lot of people I bet. I just want something zippy and fast for private land so the legal limit doesn't matter to me.

You shouldn't be looking for an ebike. An ebike is a totally different creature than what you are looking for. I am totally puzzled as to why people buy ebikes and then want to go " fast, fast, fast ". They aren't designed to replace motorcycles, they are designed to increase the use and performance of a " BICYCLE". If you arent already zipping around that private land on a bicycle then go find a good dirtbike. You won't be happy with an ebike.

I have a second floor apartment and have no place to keep something gas powered. Electric dirtbikes are heavy and expensive. The lectric is foldable and affordable. I never said I wanted to go "fast fast fast". I said I wanted to go 25-30 with the throttle like a moped. Old stock mopeds aren't "fast fast fast" either. I appreciate the input though.

Last edited:
I have a second floor apartment and have no place to keep something gas powered. Electric dirtbikes are heavy and expensive. The lectric is foldable and affordable. I never said I wanted to go "fast fast fast". I said I wanted to go 25-30 with the throttle like a moped. Old stock mopeds aren't "fast fast fast" either. I appreciate the input though.

I'm with you man. I paid the money, if i wanna tinker with it, i will. I'm ordering from both those links you provided. Lets see what happens :D

Dupo24, I suggest you not buy from those links.

On the first link, when you buy a display, it needs to be compatible with your controller. I don't own the Lectric, so I don't know if that display works with it, but even if it did, displays do not give you more speed. They give you more features, like color, maybe the ambient temperature, and actual voltage of the battery in addition to the icon.

The second link is a combo LCD and controller, so the two are compatible. Nonetheless, it's a little 13 amp controller and will likely disappoint you. It's probably less amps than what's in your Lectric already. In fact, I bought a controller like it to run a little bike, and I found it was too slow.

if you want more performance, a controller that can deliver more amps will give more acceleration. More voltage gives you more speed. You're already at 48V. The next step is 52V and I don't see that being available for your bike. And bigger controllers probably won't fit inside your frame.

In my opinion, the best you can do, without major mods, is to unlock your LCD if it was restricting your speed. Go to smoother tires for less rolling resistance. I think Lectric did a nice job, giving you a 48V battery, and a reasonable size motor.

Clip a speed restriction wire, that's hilarious. Harry is right, some manufacturers used a proprietary protocol language between the LCD and the controller. He's also right about the controller, 25a minimum is needed. Also the gauge of wiring is critical. You can only push so many amps based on wire size. You can push more, but it will melt connectors and insulation.

I am totally puzzled as to why people buy ebikes and then want to go " fast, fast, fast "
Because we can? 28mph is a class III limit. It's a fairly common capability.

Clip a speed restriction wire, that's hilarious. Harry is right, some manufacturers used a proprietary protocol language between the LCD and the controller. He's also right about the controller, 25a minimum is needed. Also the gauge of wiring is critical. You can only push so many amps based on wire size. You can push more, but it will melt connectors and insulation.
Best advice from these two fellas.

I'm with you man. I paid the money, if i wanna tinker with it, i will. I'm ordering from both those links you provided. Lets see what happens :D
Be sure to come back and share the nightmare you purchased. Square wave controller? Why bother?

In my opinion, the best you can do, without major mods, is to unlock your LCD if it was restricting your speed. Go to smoother tires for less rolling resistance. I think Lectric did a nice job, giving you a 48V battery, and a reasonable size motor.

How can I unlock the display to take off the speed restriction? The Lectric has a M5 display like the one I linked. I can't just swap it out with the same display that isn't restricted?

I also was afraid the display would only have kilometers instead of miles. The proto XP's where like that, same display.

How can I unlock the display to take off the speed restriction? The Lectric has a M5 display like the one I linked. I can't just swap it out with the same display that isn't restricted?

I also was afraid the display would only have kilometers instead of miles. The proto XP's where like that, same display.

That's exactly what i was thinking .. the display you linked 'should' be unlocked. I have no issue spending $55 to find out.

Did you unlock the throttle to 28 ? I haven't found any throttle unlocks on You Tube only PAS 28 mph unlock with a throttle speed of 20 mph .
Yes. I've been researching and posting questions in different forums about modding/hacking the Lectric for over a week now. Other than the 28 PAS unlock the only other direct advice I've got is changing the 14-28t freewheel to a 11-28 for more resistance when peddling over 20mph. (with the stock freewheel the peddles are basically just free spinning at those speeds.)

I have changed the freewheel and it does help a lot with general cruising speed, but it is still not comfortable for me to maintain more than 25mph or so on flat ground. Also, when going downhill the motor stops helping after you hit 30 so I have never gotten more than 32 or so. Keep in mind that the speedometer and odometer are off, on mine about 10% anyway. So an indicated 20 is closer to 22.

All that being said I am pretty happy with the top speed of the XL. I usually cruise using PAS 2 and 3 and only use 5 if I am going up or down hills or need to keep up with traffic. I almost always leave it in 7th gear and use the throttle only to initially get moving. I would hate to take a header going over 30 anyway, I’m just too old nowadays!

If I could make one big change it would be a bigger battery. I do have an extra one, it’s just an inconvenience to carry it or anticipate needing to bring it with me.

It’s a friggin bicycle... if I want to ride with a throttle I ride my Harley.
I see what you are getting at, but I can't carry a Harley up a flight of stairs to my city apartment. Everyone has different needs, and that's okay.
Also, calling something that is 63 pounds with a reinforced frame built to go 30mph a bicycle is a bit of an understatement. E-skateboards that do 60mph aren't just a skateboard.

Last edited:
Back