Modding a Vado

bazzapage

I had a question from an Australian reader asking what he'd need to do to make his Vado the same as a NZ-spec one, ie not limited to 25kph. In NZ they came out as 32kph/20mph limited and got changed to 45kph/28mph though a firmware update. He's not going to get anyone in Aus to do that as they adopted EU restrictions (pity them!). If he bought a new Bloks unit in NZ, will that de-restrict? Or is he best to go the dongle route?

I don't think a different Bloks display will increase the speed limit. The Vado's electric assist kicks in even without the display attached, so I assume the limit is in the battery or the motor controller.

If no one is willing to flash the firmware, the speed sensor route is the only other option.

I don't think a different Bloks display will increase the speed limit. The Vado's electric assist kicks in even without the display attached, so I assume the limit is in the battery or the motor controller.

If no one is willing to flash the firmware, the speed sensor route is the only other option.
I thought the Vado was not running without the display? Haven’t tried it though, just heard it ( at a shop?) or read it somewhere. Maybe this was not the Vado.

”the speed sonsor route”
Is that doing something with the rear disc magnet or does it mean modifying inside the motor?

Edit/addition
My Vado dealer said Specialized offered a ”slightly higher assist speed” for EU bikes. It was a choice that could be made when installing new firmware. Dealer said it was something like 10% but I don’t think he can do percentage calculation. We have a discussion about the differences between the Odo and the trip meter on my Vado.

Last edited:
I thought the Vado was not running without the display? Haven’t tried it though, just heard it ( at a shop?) or read it somewhere. Maybe this was not the Vado.

That's what I was told too, and that it could be used as a lockout. Yesterday, my display started to malfunction (back light was dim and no display) but I was able to ride the Vado back home with assist. The assist level selector and the light switch were all functional even with the Bloks display detached. I'll double check and will let you know.

Is that doing something with the rear disc magnet or does it mean modifying inside the motor?

I think it the dongle goes between the hall effect sensor and the motor to reduce the signal frequency. I've been thinking of making one myself, but 28mph seems pretty fast, although I don't like how strong the pedal resistance becomes past that.

Edit: Tried the Vado without the Bloks display, and it works perfectly without it. So much for theft deterrence, hmm.

Last edited:
Reactions: PaD
That's what I was told too, and that it could be used as a lockout. Yesterday, my display started to malfunction (back light was dim and no display) but I was able to ride the Vado back home with assist. The assist level selector and the light switch were all functional even with the Bloks display detached. I'll double check and will let you know.

I think it the dongle goes between the hall effect sensor and the motor to reduce the signal frequency. I've been thinking of making one myself, but 28mph seems pretty fast, although I don't like how strong the pedal resistance becomes past that.

Edit: Tried the Vado without the Bloks display, and it works perfectly without it. So much for theft deterrence, hmm.
So the theft deterrence applies for th display then? I mean it’s hard to steal something that’s not there:)

In NZ, you can have your Vado motor taken out, sent to Specialized in Auckland to be modified for "45" kmh, and reinstalled (with your dealer's OK).
I've had this done, and it assists to 43 kmh afterwards, which is what I was expecting (having read elsewhere someone else's experience).

Vado 3s will assist with the Bloks display removed, but (afaik) Vado 5s will not assist, due to speed-pedelec rules in various places.

I'm glad there's a way to do that. I would be quite annoyed if the assist was limited to 32kph.

Vado 3s will assist with the Bloks display removed, but (afaik) Vado 5s will not assist, due to speed-pedelec rules in various places

Do you know what the regulation says? Interesting how the lock out works only on the Vado 5 and presumably the 6, but not 3.

I'm glad there's a way to do that. I would be quite annoyed if the assist was limited to 32kph.

Do you know what the regulation says? Interesting how the lock out works only on the Vado 5 and presumably the 6, but not 3.
I would be perfectly ok with a limit at 32kph (20mph) as I now have the 25kph limit. Don’ t need to go above 32kph even if I was on a longer tour and I don’t want to have the registration and regulation on where you can bike as is the case for speed pedelecs within EU.
I guess the Vado 5 and 6 must have a speedo in EU as the go faster than 25kph.

Back