Mission Control App - Turbo Vado Solution Now Available

I don’t have the M C App, it cost $400.00!
Mission Control app is free. Is your e-bike equipped with the BLOKS or TCD-W display? That is very important. The older BLOKS display has big issues, often making the power lost to the motor unless the display is reset.

I assume your Vado 6.0 is equipped with the BLOKS. Even if conversion to TCD-W (Mission Control compatible) is expensive, that would make your 6.0 a brand new modern Vado. Been there, done that.

1630391379974.png

A 2017 Vado 5.0 (equivalent of a newer Vado 6.0) with the problematic BLOKS display. 1st of November, 2019 (purchase date of then a brand new e-bike).

1630391642881.png

Conversion to the TCD-W display has solved all issues with my Vado. Here: August 2021.

Last edited:
Mission Control app is free. Is your e-bike equipped with the BLOKS or TCD-W display? That is very important. The older BLOKS display has big issues, often making the power lost to the motor unless the display is reset.

I assume your Vado 6.0 is equipped with the BLOKS. Even if conversion to TCD-W (Mission Control compatible) is expensive, that would make your 6.0 a brand new modern Vado. Been there, done that.

View attachment 98427
A 2017 Vado 5.0 (equivalent of a newer Vado 6.0) with the problematic BLOKS display. 1st of November, 2019 (purchase date of then a brand new e-bike).

View attachment 98428
Conversion to the TCD-W display has solved all issues with my Vado. Here: August 2021.

View attachment 98427

View attachment 98428
Thanks Stefan…I might have said this wrong. I realize the app is free, but I have to buy the TCD to find out what is wrong and why there is no power being sent to the motor? It seems that my warranty should cover this and I shouldn’t have to buy the TCD-W display. My dealer also mentioned that having the TCD might not tell me what is the problem. Hope I am making things clear.
Thanks again for your response…..Tom

Thanks Stefan…I might have said this wrong. I realize the app is free, but I have to buy the TCD to find out what is wrong and why there is no power being sent to the motor? It seems that my warranty should cover this and I shouldn’t have to buy the TCD-W display. My dealer also mentioned that having the TCD might not tell me what is the problem. Hope I am making things clear.
Thanks again for your response…..Tom
Tommy: It goes like that (and it is confusing).
  • TCD is a wireless display that has nothing to do with your Vado 6.0.
  • TCD-w is not only a wired display that totally affects the e-bike operation but conversion from BLOKS to TCD-w requires applying a whole conversion set* and dismantling half of the e-bike. I got the conversion free as a warranty service.
If your dealer does not know the difference between the TCD and the TCD-w conversion set, I see it in dark colours.

Hope that helps.

*) The conversion set includes many components, not only the display.

Tommy: It goes like that (and it is confusing).
  • TCD is a wireless display that has nothing to do with your Vado 6.0.
  • TCD-w is not only a wired display that totally affects the e-bike operation but conversion from BLOKS to TCD-w requires applying a whole conversion set* and dismantling half of the e-bike. I got the conversion free as a warranty service.
If your dealer does not know the difference between the TCD and the TCD-w conversion set, I see it in dark colours.

Hope that helps.

*) The conversion set includes many components, not only the display.
Thanks Stefan…the best part here is that you received the conversion set free, so I believe Specialized should treat my situation the same way. In past situations I paid the dealer and then sent the invoice to Specialized and they reimbursed me. I guess we’ll just wait and see.
Thanks again Stefan, appreciate your communication….Tom

I found this forum in my search for a solution to my problem. I have a Vado 6.0 from 2018, still on the BLOKS system. A few weeks ago, the BLOKS computer stopped working.
The lights go on, when I turn on the bike, but the screen stays dark and the motor does nothing.

My LBS says I have to convert to the TCD-w system, and tells me that Specialized will charge him € 1000,- for the conversion kit. That's right: € 1000,-.
I have a local contact with Specialized, he asked around, and they tell him the same.

Does anyone know if a new (other) BLOKS head unit will solve my problem (for a while)?
Anyone knows a way to get the conversion kit myself? I don't mind to get my hands dirty...

Edit: I'm not the first owner and I do not have an invoice from the original purchase.

Last edited:
I found this forum in my search for a solution to my problem. I have a Vado 6.0 from 2018, still on the BLOKS system. A few weeks ago, the BLOKS computer stopped working.
The lights go on, when I turn on the bike, but the screen stays dark and the motor does nothing.

My LBS says I have to convert to the TCD-w system, and tells me that Specialized will charge him € 1000,- for the conversion kit. That's right: € 1000,-.
I have a local contact with Specialized, he asked around, and they tell him the same.

Does anyone know if a new (other) BLOKS head unit will solve my problem (for a while)?
Anyone knows a way to get the conversion kit myself? I don't mind to get my hands dirty...

Edit: I'm not the first owner and I do not have an invoice from the original purchase.
Hi,
Not sure about your problem but my Specialized dealer in London got mine changed to TCD-w free of charge because Blocks display can't connect to Mission control and they were advertising that you could connect when I bought my bike. Bike is a 2017/18 and they changed my display around 2019/20.

Any one know why specialized use economy tune on newer Vado 3? It's the 1.2 street tune but down graded power!! They say "same hardware different software".
I don't want less power!! I use the mission control for that.

Any one know why specialized use economy tune on newer Vado 3? It's the 1.2 street tune but down graded power!! They say "same hardware different software".
I don't want less power!! I use the mission control for that.
I do not have insider information so I can't speak for Specialized, but I believe it was due to a combination of reasons: the first reason was to achieve a bigger separation between the Vado 3.0 and the Vado 4.0, by making the 3.0 less powerful than the 4.0. The second reason was the benefit of extending battery life a bit by reducing the power the motor pulls from the battery, thereby giving the bike a bit more range. And the third reason was good old cost-cutting. In addition to the de-tuning of the 3.0 in 2020, Specialized also downgraded the brakes on the 3.0, reduced the 3.0 from a 10 speed down to a 9 speed, and downgraded the rear derailleur on the 3.0 from the Deore to the Alivio. These changes helped cut costs, making the Vado 3.0 less expensive to both produce and buy, and made the difference from the Vado 3.0 to the Vado 4.0 much greater today than it was from 2017 to 2019.

These are the reasons I can see, and it was for these same reasons I decided to jump on a leftover, brand new 2019 Vado 3.0 last year when I stumbled upon it on sale. If anyone knows of any other reasons for the de-tuning of the Vado 3.0 in 2020 please feel free to chime in.

I do not have insider information so I can't speak for Specialized, but I believe it was due to a combination of reasons: the first reason was to achieve a bigger separation between the Vado 3.0 and the Vado 4.0, by making the 3.0 less powerful than the 4.0. The second reason was the benefit of extending battery life a bit by reducing the power the motor pulls from the battery, thereby giving the bike a bit more range. And the third reason was good old cost-cutting. In addition to the de-tuning of the 3.0 in 2020, Specialized also downgraded the brakes on the 3.0, reduced the 3.0 from a 10 speed down to a 9 speed, and downgraded the rear derailleur on the 3.0 from the Deore to the Alivio. These changes helped cut costs, making the Vado 3.0 less expensive to both produce and buy, and made the difference from the Vado 3.0 to the Vado 4.0 much greater today than it was from 2017 to 2019.

These are the reasons I can see, and it was for these same reasons I decided to jump on a leftover, brand new 2019 Vado 3.0 last year when I stumbled upon it on sale. If anyone knows of any other reasons for the de-tuning of the Vado 3.0 in 2020 please feel free to chime in.
Thanks Jim,
That is exactly what I thought, I have a warranty replacement for my 2018 Vado 3 with a 2021 and you can really feel the difference with the components.
You did well to go for the older model.

Anyone know if it's possible to change the software from the economy one?

You can always get enough range using smart control, so it must be to influence people into spending more money!!

Although I agree Specialized were downgrading their Vados every year, I strongly disagree with any assumption the 3.0 motor was "detuned". It is the 1.2E motor known as Brose CB, and it is simply weaker but more economical on the battery, which is also smaller (3.0: 480 Wh, 4.0: 500 Wh, 5.0: 600 Wh). And the battery is the most expensive e-bike component.

Regarding the question from @Diederik85: Specialized were upgrading the BLOKS to TCD-w free for a pretty long time. The offer could not probably last forever.
The cost of 1000 EUR is probable: Vado 6.0 components are very expensive. The new headlight is a Supernova M99 Pro that costs several hundred euros alone! Diederik: Have you tried replacing the button battery in BLOKS?

Although I agree Specialized were downgrading their Vados every year, I strongly disagree with any assumption the 3.0 motor was "detuned". It is the 1.2E motor known as Brose CB, and it is simply weaker but more economical on the battery, which is also smaller (3.0: 480 Wh, 4.0: 500 Wh, 5.0: 600 Wh). And the battery is the most expensive e-bike component.

Regarding the question from @Diederik85: Specialized were upgrading the BLOKS to TCD-w free for a pretty long time. The offer could not probably last forever.
The cost of 1000 EUR is probable: Vado 6.0 components are very expensive. The new headlight is a Supernova M99 Pro that costs several hundred euros alone! Diederik: Have you tried replacing the button battery in BLOKS?

Great point, Stefan.
My 2018 Vado 6.0, with the old Bloks system, died last summer. Specialized replaced the system for FREE! It’s an older bike with almost 5,000 miles (8,000 km), definitely out of warranty. My lbs said the upgrade would have been several hundred dollars. Specialized repaid the bike shop for all costs.

Great point, Stefan.
My 2018 Vado 6.0, with the old Bloks system, died last summer. Specialized replaced the system for FREE! It’s an older bike with almost 5,000 miles (8,000 km), definitely out of warranty. My lbs said the upgrade would have been several hundred dollars. Specialized repaid the bike shop for all costs.
Great to hear!
I know Stefan knows his Vado's, on their website spesh say "1.2E motor same hardware different software " I thought that ment it's the same motor tuned for less power! Anyone know if it is the same motor?

Great to hear!
I know Stefan knows his Vado's, on their website spesh say "1.2E motor same hardware different software " I thought that ment it's the same motor tuned for less power! Anyone know if it is the same motor?
Please read:

1653921631311.png

Specialized 1.2 E motor is the Brose Drive C, specifically marked as Brose CB.

1653921738451.png

• Brose CB = Specialized 1.2E
  • Brose T = Specialized 1.2
  • Brose TF = Specialized 1.2s (Europe only)
  • Brose S(alu) = Specialized 1.3
  • Brose S(mag) = Specialized 2.1 (e-MTB)
There are newer motors, too. What Specialized was allowed to do was to unlock the CB motor for 20 mph and all other motors for 28 mph for the U.S. market. Brose C (Brose CB) is a distinctive motor.

Thanks for info, my interest is I had 2017 Vado 3 replaced due to the cracked frame that can happen if the motor mount bolts become loose. Specialized were great giving me a new 2021 model. The 2017 1.2 Rx street tune must be Brose T(70nm) and my new bike 50nm. Was hoping it was software and I could get the extra power back!
I always got great range from the 460w battery using MC at 5 or 10% it would do 100+ miles and feel like you were riding a lightweight bike will strong legs.
Ps, the replacement bike is still very nice, don't know about the range yet.

Back