Mission Control App - Turbo Vado Solution Now Available

I have a VADO 4.0 since November -18 and have been using it for commuting to and from work since then . In April I had it upgraded with this new display (TCD-W). It worked perfectly until 2 weeks ago . I washed my bike and made the regulare maintanace to it and when I thereafter was about to take it for a ride did not get the display to wake up. The battery of the bike works just fine, but no function at all from the display. First I thought it was due to that battery in the display was flat. But it didn’t help to exchange it. I left it at my LBS who checked it. He found water inside the ( water prof ) display. When he checked with Spec. they said that they have not heard about this before and wanted it back for analyze ( since there are no visible damages to it ) . He got a new display kit, assembled it , but there is still no sign of life from the display. It is not possible to communicate eith from the computer either. So to make a (already to ) long story shorter, my bike is now on its way in a card board box to the European center for Specialized in the Netherlands. Any one else who have similar experience of this?

I have a VADO 4.0 since November -18 and have been using it for commuting to and from work since then . In April I had it upgraded with this new display (TCD-W). It worked perfectly until 2 weeks ago . I washed my bike and made the regulare maintanace to it and when I thereafter was about to take it for a ride did not get the display to wake up. The battery of the bike works just fine, but no function at all from the display. First I thought it was due to that battery in the display was flat. But it didn’t help to exchange it. I left it at my LBS who checked it. He found water inside the ( water prof ) display. When he checked with Spec. they said that they have not heard about this before and wanted it back for analyze ( since there are no visible damages to it ) . He got a new display kit, assembled it , but there is still no sign of life from the display. It is not possible to communicate eith from the computer either. So to make a (already to ) long story shorter, my bike is now on its way in a card board box to the European center for Specialized in the Netherlands. Any one else who have similar experience of this?
Fortunately not experienced that. My 2020 Vado 5.0 came with the new Turbo Connect Display. I have been riding in moderate to heavy rain for about 15-20 minutes on two occasions and that went well. Strange that a new display didn’t solve the problem.
The Vado 4.0 I had last year ( with the Bloks display) was also ridden in rain but not for long. I tried to ride it without the display and that went fine. The controller for power modes worked fine without the display.

Thanks for reporting, I will be careful when washing my bike and maybe cover it in some way if I have to ride in rain.

just had my 2017 VADO 4.0 upgraded by LBS to new TCD, anyone know what the equivalent peak and support setting to match the original ECO mode, 35/35 seems a bit high ?

When I had my Vado 3 updated, the initial settings were 30/30 60/60 100/100. When you select reset in the app the eco is set to 35/35. Don't remember what the others are set to by the app reset.

I got the Vado to replace my road bike after a heart attack. I use the new settings to give me a more road bike experience.
I set eco to 25/25 which seems to be more like a lightweight bike with no assist.
I set sport to 30/70 which gives a feel of a light bike and what power I used to be able to deliver at peak training.
I use turbo when climbing hills with traffic to go as fast as possible among the cars. 100/100

... Rob

just had my 2017 VADO 4.0 upgraded by LBS to new TCD, anyone know what the equivalent peak and support setting to match the original ECO mode, 35/35 seems a bit high ?
My memory of the Vado 4.0 ( with Bloks display) I had last year is that the Eco mode was actually a bit stronger than the 35/35 on my new 5.0 with new display and software. I’ve changed it to 35/45 and think it resembles last years support.
But I must say I’m not really sure I remember this correct from last year. I still get good range with this new setting. I’ve kept the Sport and Turbo original.
Last years user manual said Eco 35%, Sport 75% and Turbo 100% support. There was no information on peak power.
Link to older user manual for Vado/Como with Bloks display
https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...22efe51a4/1513046505560/vadocomouserguide.pdf

1562509465428.jpeg

Last edited:
My 2020 Vado 3 manual recommends starting with Eco 35/35, Sport 70/100, and Turbo 100/100. Experiment with the power settings that work best for your riding style and conditions.

thanks, just did a test run of 35miles with eco on 25/25, felt a bit less than before but managed to get 1 mile per 1 % battery. Although I do use 'off' quite a lot when I don't need assistance to get me up the steep hills :)

Since the upgrade 'off' seems to be a lot better than before, doesn't seem to have the same riding through treacle feelling

Did another test run with eco set to 10/10 but that wasn't much help

I finally got my new computer head and all the wiring for my bluetooth connectivity done! It certainly feels like it took forever, but just got back from my LBS and took an hour to play with it and get it configured to what I hope is my liking. It is great to see my phone talking to my bike and having the options I was told would be there when I purchased my bike a year ago. I plan on a ride this evening and will be stopping frequently if necessary to fine tune it. FYI...my local LBS has had my bike for a total month, should have only taken a few days at most, but still, glad it's back home. The manual is not exactly clear on the details either, but I will learn.

I have had the opportunity to get in several rides with the new system and I am satisfied at present with the performance and availability of adjustments to my system. Tying into the mission control app is pretty simple to use but some instructions for the computer head is lacking.

Hi everyone,

I was just searching online how to connect my Vado 4.0 to Mission Control (and subsequently to BLevo) for demonstration purposes of PLANET3 and found this thread. Lots of useful info and it seems TCD-W is the way to go for me, too!

However, during reading of the thread I see some users (@PaD , @coffeemaker) were asking about a possible speed limit solution for the Vado & Como and I just wanted to say that I might have something you guys could be interested in. More information is available at https://planet3.bike/ but since reading this forum for a bit, I see that speed and distance display might be playing a very important role for you guys and I wanted to clearly state that due to the way PLANET3 is designed to function - it will always display 3x lower speed and thus 3x lower mileage/distance than what is "real". To some, this might be a deal breaker, but for me personally, the 15.5 mph/25 km/h speed limit was a much bigger dealbreaker on an otherwise super bike. Also, for people who think a gear ratio of ~3 in the planetary gearset is too much (speed limit goes up by gear ratio factor), and they'd like their bike to count a bit more miles and show a bit more speed, the device is designed to operate with two planets also. This means the gear ratio is halved and is at ~1.5 which also means the speed limit is 25 * 1,561 = 39 km/h. However, I regularly run into this speed limit so I use mine with a single planet as it was intended and never worry about the speed limit since it's only "theoretical" at 78-87 km/h depending on the PLANET3 model.

The solution to this and why I wanted to connect the bike to the phone is in the BLevo app which I use on my 2019 Turbo Levo. Paolo, the developer of this app, implemented a feature called the "speed multiplier" which helps incorporate the mechanical de-restriction gear set to show the real speed and mileage even when using the rear wheel speed sensor for these readouts. You just enter the multiplier and voila. BLevo is also super-useful regarding setting the assistance modes of the bike as it can do so in 1% increments and many other things Mission Control can only dream of. If you haven't checked it out, please do a Google search for BLevo and switch over - I've completely stopped using Mission Control since finding BLevo.

If you've got any questions - don't hesitate to ask publicly here, via PM or via info[at]planet3.bike.

P.S. The PLANET3 is not compatible with Center Lock hubs by Shimano which come (depending on the region) on just two of the Como models. If you've got a 6-bolt Specialized hub featured on all other models, we've got you covered!

Some pics of the Vado equipped with a PLANET3 for your visual pleasure.. :p

Is the 2 planet device also being sold as standard?
In Canada, we are limited to 32kl/h so the 1.5 reduction would be a better solution

The two-planet device is going to be a little extra (10 EUR) since you're getting a few more items: second planet with a magnet but also two more outer "positioning" magnets which are used to check if you correctly installed the planets in a 180° phase or if they moved/jumped slightly during the closing of the ring gear. I'd invite you to watch the YT Decoy installation instructions video here which shows the procedure I'm talking about.

The YT Decoy has to be delivered with two planets since the Shimano STEPS system has a limitation that I've had to get around by using a lower gear ratio (you can check the other videos on the YouTube channel for more detailed info and demonstration). However, every Specialized bike works flawlessly with a single planet version of the PLANET3. Yes, I'm aware that the speed limit is increased to 60 mph for Canada and US markets this way - but then again, this is of no consequence. It just means you'll never be able to hit the speed limit. If the bike had any problems at lower speeds, such as cutouts in power, too low of a cadence or speed for the sensor to even measure anything - I'd also be selling the two-planet version for the Specialized. But there are none of these problems and it just works perfectly. You become the speed limit. Your gear ratios (chainring sizes) and leg power are what determines how fast you're going to ride. Complicating things by having the default version be with two-planets just means there's more things to wear, wear rate increases two fold (even though this isn't really a consideration as the wear seems to stop after the initial few hundred km) and there's more chance to improperly assemble something. Basically, why would you want to have a "lower" speed limit? Even with a ratio of 1.5 you'd almost never hit it, but EU customers would hit it even during normal city riding (as I would've today in the demonstration video I recorded). I've had people ask me this same question multiple times now and even after I explain to them that PLANET3 does not give you an extra 5 kW at the rear wheel and that the speed limit becomes purely theoretical - they say back to me "But I just don't want to go that fast..." - without realizing that no one is forcing them to go any faster than they feel comfortable with. You just use a lower mode of assistance or stop pedaling or use the brakes. :)

So, to conclude my very long-winded explanation.. if you'd like 2 planets, it's going to cost extra because there's extra stuff. But your conclusion should be that there's no point in doing that and that you should just enjoy the one-planet version since multiplying something by 1.5 or by 3 comes down to the same amount of math.

Here's a little demonstration video I recorded yesterday on the 2018 Turbo Vado 3.0.

What I failed to mention is that the calculated range is going to continue to work, you just need to reset your distance counter after the PLANET3 is installed because the new distances are going to be 3x less and so will the range - but it's going to be proportional. If you've done 20 km of riding (meaning you've done 62 km of actual distance) and the range calculator says you can go another 7 km, it just means you can go another 22 km. Everything gets multiplied by the gear ratio of the device (3,12 or 3,35).

An idea: is it possible by using a design with a different number of teeth, to make the planet reduction be 3.22?
Then two planets would have reduction of 1.61.
Then, the bike owner, if possible, changes their display to read in km/h, not mph (often you can choose km/h or mph).
So travelling at 25 mph, the planetary reduction tells the bike it is travelling at only 15.5 mph, but the display is now in km/h, and displays 25!
That would only work for mph countries.
(1.561 is pretty close to 1.609 already.)

That's another reason the 2 planets would be good. Close enough to Mph when set to Klm
I still remember the 'old' system :)

@MarktheC, I can't believe I didn't think of this! :) Brilliant idea and yes, it should be possible for me to make the combination of ring gear and sun gear splines to give a ratio that's very close to the mph-to-kmh difference. I'll get back to you on this tomorrow.

@rob_s, yeah. This is true and for those that use mph by default - it would solve the problem if they simply switched over to km/h as a unit. But that leaves everyone in the metric system kinda screw'd :)

Burkes Cycles just replaced the old BLOKS display on my May 2017 Vado3 with the new model, no charge. I really like the more accurate battery% readout but Eco seems to be more powerful than I remember.

The bike stopped working as a e-bike on the way to work last week, which made for a good workout to get there and home again. Electric assist just disappeared, along with the lights and display. Switching the bike on would momentarily flash the headlight before it extinguished. The LEDs were up on the battery but nothing at home on the display. So happy to get it back from the shop today. They also fitted a new driveline; chainring, chain, cassette and rear tyre at the same time.

So now I've got the App to pair with the bike this afternoon and I'm off for a ride to try out the ECO setting changes I've made. Down to 25% instead of the default 35%.

Other recent Vado news is I've had 2 broken spokes now in the last 800km. ODO is now at 4,866km. Might have to follow my own advice and get the rear wheel rebuilt :(
I had the exact same experience with my Vado 4.0 bike. The same signs as described, no electric assist all of a sudden. Earlier the bike sometimes didnot start assisting after I turned it on. Switching off and on again to start assisting after a while. The first sign of electircal trouble. (I first feared that the motor began to seize)The head light only flashes during start up and no display or disturbed display. The bikeshop diagnosed this as a faulty speedsensor which I doubted. Anyway, after a display change to TCD-W display and a firmware upgrade it runs again. Downside is, that there is nog derestricting possible anymore. I had a Polini derestrictor installed. Another downside was that the display change wasn't for free because of the derestrictor. Costed me about 150 euro's.

Hi everyone,

I was just searching online how to connect my Vado 4.0 to Mission Control (and subsequently to BLevo) for demonstration purposes of PLANET3 and found this thread. Lots of useful info and it seems TCD-W is the way to go for me, too!

However, during reading of the thread I see some users (@PaD , @coffeemaker) were asking about a possible speed limit solution for the Vado & Como and I just wanted to say that I might have something you guys could be interested in. More information is available at https://planet3.bike/ but since reading this forum for a bit, I see that speed and distance display might be playing a very important role for you guys and I wanted to clearly state that due to the way PLANET3 is designed to function - it will always display 3x lower speed and thus 3x lower mileage/distance than what is "real". To some, this might be a deal breaker, but for me personally, the 15.5 mph/25 km/h speed limit was a much bigger dealbreaker on an otherwise super bike. Also, for people who think a gear ratio of ~3 in the planetary gearset is too much (speed limit goes up by gear ratio factor), and they'd like their bike to count a bit more miles and show a bit more speed, the device is designed to operate with two planets also. This means the gear ratio is halved and is at ~1.5 which also means the speed limit is 25 * 1,561 = 39 km/h. However, I regularly run into this speed limit so I use mine with a single planet as it was intended and never worry about the speed limit since it's only "theoretical" at 78-87 km/h depending on the PLANET3 model.

The solution to this and why I wanted to connect the bike to the phone is in the BLevo app which I use on my 2019 Turbo Levo. Paolo, the developer of this app, implemented a feature called the "speed multiplier" which helps incorporate the mechanical de-restriction gear set to show the real speed and mileage even when using the rear wheel speed sensor for these readouts. You just enter the multiplier and voila. BLevo is also super-useful regarding setting the assistance modes of the bike as it can do so in 1% increments and many other things Mission Control can only dream of. If you haven't checked it out, please do a Google search for BLevo and switch over - I've completely stopped using Mission Control since finding BLevo.

If you've got any questions - don't hesitate to ask publicly here, via PM or via info[at]planet3.bike.

P.S. The PLANET3 is not compatible with Center Lock hubs by Shimano which come (depending on the region) on just two of the Como models. If you've got a 6-bolt Specialized hub featured on all other models, we've got you covered!

Some pics of the Vado equipped with a PLANET3 for your visual pleasure.. :p

View attachment 37208View attachment 37209View attachment 37210View attachment 37211
Great idea!
Do you have an idea when planet3 will be available?
(I think it will also be do-able to design a digital variant with the same function and effect) Using a small electro-magnet close to the speedsensor that "fire's" with a lower and adjustable frequency)

Great idea!
Do you have an idea when planet3 will be available?
(I think it will also be do-able to design a digital variant with the same function and effect) Using a small electro-magnet close to the speedsensor that "fire's" with a lower and adjustable frequency)

@MarcoVado it is already available.. it's just pre-orders via e-mails instead of the webshop :) If anyone wants one it's enough to just send an e-mail and one goes out the same day.

Back