Mission Control App - Turbo Vado Solution Now Available

Are you sure this will work? Does it keep working in the longer run? It might be so that the Vado software detects a mismatch between the number of accu load cycles and miles driven.

Are you sure this will work? Does it keep working in the longer run? It might be so that the Vado software detects a mismatch between the number of accu load cycles and miles driven.

It's been working since January and it'll keep working for 10k+ km. Software doesn't detect anything. If you're too worried about the mismatch between the charge cycles and distance driven, you can order a dual planet configuration that has half the ratio but will still increase your assistance speed limit by a factor of 1,675.

It's been working since January and it'll keep working for 10k+ km. Software doesn't detect anything. If you're too worried about the mismatch between the charge cycles and distance driven, you can order a dual planet configuration that has half the ratio but will still increase your assistance speed limit by a factor of 1,675.

Awesome system! This set me on the Vado then...! I was looking at the possibilities for derestricting an ebike in Canada for my long commute (64km round trip) and saw your posts and demo video.

I plan to buy next summer. I hope you will still be around!

Cheers

Earlier a replaced my front chainring by a bigger one (the one that is fitted on a Vado 5.0 speedpedelec) for lower cadence

I got 52 km/h here before having to brake and I wasn't out of the seat and pedaling anywhere near full force etc.:

If you get a larger front chainring and don't mind using turbo you can get up to 60 km/h and sustain it. The assistance speed limit is 83,75 km/h, but we don't have the leg power or cadence for that.

Well, tried it this morningride from home to work, being 12 km. Started of with 88% batterycharge and arrived with 53% left. 35% charge used. So, that would make a range of about 36 km. And a little headwind today. And you must take into account that this is a 250 Watt motor and a 500 kWh battery. I have the new TDC-W display installed.
(Wenn I put the bike in assistance-mode 1 that will give about 100 km range with an average speed of 22 km/h.)
I donnot reach speeds above 50 km/h on this bike with full assistance, unless there is a firm tailwind. (maybe age and condition come into play here :) )

The air resistance kills the battery range at high speeds, that's it. The Specialized Turbo Range Calculator is good for nothing as it will not accept anything more for average speed as 25 km/h in Metric or 20 mph in Imperial units - which is stupid as e.g. speed models of Turbo Vado can ride up to 45 km/h or 28 mph.

I tried the Bosch eBike Range Assistant that is very accurate. Let us talk in Metric units @MarcoVado :
  1. Drive: Performance Line Speed (closest to speed Brose motor)
  2. Battery: Power Tube 500 (equivalent to your battery)
  3. Type of bicycle: Athletic Touring Bike
  4. Tire thread: Hybrid bike tires
  5. Terrain: Flat (Holland, most of Poland)
  6. Surface: Mostly good asphalt
  7. Wind: Light breezes
  8. Season: Winter
  9. Starting up: Mixed tour (I expect you commute in urban area)
  10. Weight: 100 kg (give yours)
  11. Cadence: 70 (give your real cadence, TCD-W should show it)
  12. Average speed: 38 km/h
Now, if it is so called Bosch Sport Mode (Specialized Sport Mode), the calculated range would be 31 km, and it will be 29 km in Turbo Mode. Your mileage may vary but the general idea is that high speed and battery range don't agree with each other very well ;)

The air resistance kills the battery range at high speeds, that's it. The Specialized Turbo Range Calculator is good for nothing as it will not accept anything more for average speed as 25 km/h in Metric or 20 mph in Imperial units - which is stupid as e.g. speed models of Turbo Vado can ride up to 45 km/h or 28 mph.
You can use the range calculator on Specialized’s US site. It works for speeds over 32 km/h.

Just using Flat terrain in the calculator gives unrealistic range. They probably use Bonneville Salt Flats as reference. Florida is too hilly:D
If I do my own combination of flat and hilly I get results that resembles my real ranges.

@PaD, your Stockholm area might be hilly yet the Mazovian Plain is a plain ;-) Holland is as flat as a table.
Specialized calculator is optimistic; the Bosch one - realistic. The results of MarcoVado are on the realistic side.

Well, tried it this morningride from home to work, being 12 km. Started of with 88% batterycharge and arrived with 53% left. 35% charge used. So, that would make a range of about 36 km. And a little headwind today. And you must take into account that this is a 250 Watt motor and a 500 kWh battery. I have the new TDC-W display installed.
(Wenn I put the bike in assistance-mode 1 that will give about 100 km range with an average speed of 22 km/h.)
I donnot reach speeds above 50 km/h on this bike with full assistance, unless there is a firm tailwind. (maybe age and condition come into play here :) )

Thanks!

Another poster had similar results in another thread (higher range, but lower avg speed).

This is encouraging for my planned use case (32km with a planned 32km/h avg speed).

Interested to hear your results @Balinus. Low winter temperatures degrade the range even further....

Will report!

But I am still at the "gathering information" stage! I plan to buy the Vado 4. 0 + planet3 next summer.

I think I will limit my usage to april 1st - > november 30th though. The bridge between Montréal and my office is usually closed during winter.

Seeing the reported range, I also think that I should perhaps get the 5.0 with the 600 Wh battery. I should factor in the battery degradation performance over the following years... But it cost much more! (+1200$ Canadian here).

Back